Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going clipless-not for the reasons you may think - advice on shoes w/ large toe box

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Going clipless-not for the reasons you may think - advice on shoes w/ large toe box

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 09:25 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Northwave shoes have a pretty good-size toe box. I've been very happy with mine.
Old 05-19-13, 09:26 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano SPD MT 60 Gore Tex shoes my do the trick. I have wide feet and have no problem with the toe box. I got a pair on sale at Performance for under $100. BTW, not all road shoes have soles stiffer than MTB shoes. It depends on the shoe.
Old 05-20-13, 07:16 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Keens.
Old 05-20-13, 07:44 AM
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at Shimano RT 82. I got pair recently and toe box appears to be very roomy. This is a road/touring pedal designed for SPD pedals, hence the RT in the model name. Think they normally run about $125, but have seen them discounted to $80-$90.
Old 05-20-13, 07:47 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Not sure how I possible could keep my feet warm when it gets low enough. I'm diabetic and the circulation, though not bad, is still comprimised. They look interesting, but I'm unsure if sandals would help(wind mostly), keep my feet warm.
sandals + wool socks
Old 05-20-13, 08:19 AM
Terrierman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
sandals + wool socks
Correct.
Old 05-20-13, 09:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I have several ideas, and some might be useful.

Sandals are an excellent suggestion. I'm not diabetic, but I have a lot of foot problems, and one of the cause is that the shape of my feet is unusual. If you measure my feet, they are something like 11-D, which is not unusually wide. However, the widest part of my foot is farther forward than normal. Even wide shoes are not wide enough for me. I finally realized my solution is to buy shoes one size up, so now I buy size 12 shoes, even though it leaves a surplus of space in front of my toes. Still, by the end of the day, my pinky toe sometimes feels as if it's trying to escape the side of my shoe. That's where sandals are better.

If you use enough socks, you might be able to stay warm in winter. I have neoprene socks which seem to be good enough for me in winter, though I don't know if they will be for you.

I do like SPD shoes, but they solve some problems and create others. You can't move your foot forward or back, which means you are relying on one fore-aft position in favor of all others. I find that being able to move my feet can reduce fatigue on a long ride.

Also, shoes that are optimized for cycling are often too optimized. Stiff soles allow a more efficient power transfer, but they also increase pressure at the pressure point.

By sheer luck, I got some cycling shoes that appear to be running shoes with SPD cleats attached. It's the Pearl Izumi X-Alp. The mesh upper reveals something that appears to be an Adidas logo, though I'm not sure. Anyway, these are still in production, and they're inexpensive.

I also have a pair of Shimano shoes, and they do have large toe boxes. Again, I bought these and the Pearl Izumis in size 12.

I find I do not have to buy sandals a size up. In fact, I think it would be a bad idea for me.

Also, don't give up on toe clips. There are now various designs. The old design from the 70's is bad, but the newer plastic ones are wider and have two contact points at the toe rather than one. They are much more comfortable for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-20-13, 09:23 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
+1 to what noglider wrote about both sandals (a pair of wool socks and sealskinz work for me down to single digit temps) and the Pearl x-alp shoes, which fit fine on my wide feet (I had to buy a 14 to fit my size 13 feet) .

For pedals, you should consider Shimano Click'R PD-T400's - they are perfect for commuting, especially if you are new to clipless and/or like a large double-sided platform spd.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-20-13, 11:51 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
If Chipcom is outlawed, only outlaws will have Chipcom? That doesn't sound quite right.

If you get sandals, for goodness sake don't forget to spray sunblock on your tootsies.

I've been using the Shimano sandals for about a month. Don't get a size too big. The toes have plenty of wiggle room as it is.

The soles are really stiff, compared to my Sidi Bullets. They may well cause hot spots. Mine do. I might try a pair of light wieght socks with them, as now I just use my bar-nekked feet.

I suspect if you had Shimano sandals and platform pedals with the little pegs on them, you'd achieve the same effect as you will with SPDs.

Old 05-20-13, 11:56 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
If Chipcom is outlawed, only outlaws will have Chipcom? That doesn't sound quite right.

If you get sandals, for goodness sake don't forget to spray sunblock on your tootsies.

I've been using the Shimano sandals for about a month. Don't get a size too big. The toes have plenty of wiggle room as it is.

The soles are really stiff, compared to my Sidi Bullets. They may well cause hot spots. Mine do. I might try a pair of light wieght socks with them, as now I just use my bar-nekked feet.

I suspect if you had Shimano sandals and platform pedals with the little pegs on them, you'd achieve the same effect as you will with SPDs.
I always ride my sandals with bicycle socks.
Old 05-20-13, 02:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

dudelsack, one big reason I like cleats or toe clips is so I can point my toes down while climbing out of the saddle. Can't do that without some sort of retention system. I also pull up, push forward, and pull back, at least some of the time. It rests the main pedaling muscles when I do this, and it allows me to stretch my legs a bit. Can't do that (to the same extent) without retention.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-20-13, 05:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
As much as I like Sidi shoe comfort, I went with Specialized two years ago for the room in the toe box. Yes, they don't feel so nice as Sidi, but lots of room up there makes up for it! I have to use Sidi Mega shoes to get them wide enough and the Specialized are roomier than that. Buy a size up and double sock it in the winter or go to a half size in Specialized to get same sole size but roomier shoe (example: 47.5 is a 47 sole with a 48 upper on it) this works really well.

Last edited by TiHabanero; 05-20-13 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 05:56 PM
sfrank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Pearl Izumi X-Alp last year due to gout in the left foot and couldn't be happier. They are wide enough to keep the shoe from pressing against the joint on my big toe. I did follow some of the suggestions and ordered a size larger than I would normally wear. They currently list for about $100-150.
Old 05-20-13, 06:08 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I just bought these https://www.bontrager.com/model/09152

They cost $89.

Compared to my 4E wide Asics the toe box seems pretty ample.
Old 05-20-13, 06:49 PM
Terrierman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try them Keens. There's just no substitute for letting your feet have some air. Plus you'll get a really cool foot tan.
Old 05-20-13, 07:02 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several others have weighed in on Specialized and so will I. I have the "Comp" MTB shoes. They can be ordered in wide widths. I need the wides because of a foot deformity on my left foot. I wear 9 1/2EEE's. I got Comps in 44 wide. they are supremely comfortable, I love the heck out of 'em. I also have the "Comp" road shoes in 43.5. Not as comfortable but not to bad for an out and out road shoe.

I would highly suggest you try Spesh Comp wides in you're size with Shimano 530's. You'll have platforms and clipless. I personally like the 520's. And you can walk in them well enough.

BTW I read some of you're long distance posts. Mikey you are one tough character for sure. My hat's off to you. You CAN ride for miles and miles!! Good luck in you're search. I'll add this as I'm thinking of it. Comps are 160 I think this year they were 150 last year. I also tried on som Shimano's that were wide widths at Performance last year. May want to hit one up and see for yourself. They fit fine on my barge feet.

Mark Shuman
Old 05-20-13, 08:07 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
During this winter, in an effort to keep my feet warm enough to ride the distances I wanted(33 to 45 miles),
Bear in mind that most cycling shoes are designed to keep your feet cool in warm weather. Thus, you need to work against the shoe's design to keep your feet warm in cool and cold weather. This is why I use (clipless) winter cycling boots in the winter. You may find you need to use winter shoes as well.

As for toe box size, I've found most happiness with Specialized and Lake. I wear a wide size, and I can find that in Lake. (My winter cycling boots are Lakes.) I bought Specialized MTB shoes for the three seasons. They don't come in wide, but upsizing worked well.
Old 05-20-13, 09:16 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are my ideas. Go to a bike shop and try on the shoes. You need a perfect fit to keep from having foot problems which with diabetes you don't want. Try to find some vented shoes. I know that you are concerned about keeping your feet warm in cold temperatures but you need to be concerned about keeping your feet cool during the summer. Try shoe covers and such in the winter.

When you start to get hot spots, this is the time to shift your pedaling technique from mashing to spinning and even concentrate on pulling up on the pedals more. Lifting your foot up in the shoe creates an air space below the sole of your foot and the cooling air flows in. You probably have not experienced this since you have not used clipless pedals before.

Also remember to keep the shoes relatively loose on the foot and not laced tight so that if the foot swells it will not restrict blood flow.

If you get some good clipless pedals and shoes your riding pleasures should increase.

Find the perfect set up and then let us know how things work out for you.
Old 05-21-13, 07:17 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Most Specialized shoes, Comp level and higher, are available in a "wide" version.
Old 05-22-13, 06:02 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any thoughts about Shimano SCH-XC50N shoes? These are all season shoes but I wonder if they might be too warm in the summer.
Old 05-23-13, 02:19 PM
marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrank
I bought the Pearl Izumi X-Alp last year due to gout in the left foot and couldn't be happier. They are wide enough to keep the shoe from pressing against the joint on my big toe. I did follow some of the suggestions and ordered a size larger than I would normally wear. They currently list for about $100-150.
I have these and they are great for my wide forefoot, with a fairly pronounced toe box. Got mine really cheap on clearance, but I think the regular price is pretty reasonable.
Also for about $150, check Keen's Springwater II shoes -- same roomy toes as the sandals in a closed shoe. I don't have Keen bike shoes, but my Keen sandals are supremely comfortable and there's tons of room in the toes.
Old 05-23-13, 02:59 PM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for Specialized shoes. I wear between 2E and 4E, and both the road and MTB shoes fit well with a roomy toe box. The regular Shimano are narrower, but they also have wide models.

The nice thing about dedicated cycling shoes is, the adjustable straps. You can easily back off or tighten down a strap to accommodate desired foot pressure and support.

Also, when you don't need ventilation and need to keep the feet warm, use toe covers. These work great in all types of weather, from freezing to cold and wet. Just keep these on the shoes in cold months, no need to remove them. In Oregon, I'll have toe covers on the shoes from October through April, or whenever it's wet outside.
Old 05-23-13, 03:47 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've posted about solving hot spots in the ball of the foot. Metatarsal pads solves that problem. Tow bang is due to shoes too loose at the instep.
Old 05-23-13, 04:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by berner
I've posted about solving hot spots in the ball of the foot. Metatarsal pads solves that problem. Tow bang is due to shoes too loose at the instep.
Could you please explain this in further detail?

If you try shoes on in a store and they have shoes that fit you well, don't be a doosh and buy them online. Buy them from the store. This may not need to be said, but I said it anyway.

Old 05-23-13, 05:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
for the fixie set, theres wide double strap velcro adjustable.. work with big platform pedals..

check that kit out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.