Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Testing the New Brooks Cambium Saddle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Road Testing the New Brooks Cambium Saddle

Old 06-05-13, 06:38 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
the forged alloy cantle has to be worth more than the old steel type though.
Not necessarily, if they start producing the aluminum cantle in larger numbers, the difference might be much less than we think as the steel one might require more hand work to get the chroming right, plus the weldng on to the rail ends it require.... I assume the rails on this new saddle might be just mechanically swaged on to the cantle which would be a much quicker installation process.....
Old 06-05-13, 06:50 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
All I want is a saddle that is always comfortable, weighs nothin, looks great, is indestructible and under 50 dollars. That is all I want. Is it really that hard?
This might be that saddle....except that it's a Brooks and will probably cost north of 100 bucks. One of the questions on the initial survey concerned price points...the lowest was $135.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-05-13, 06:51 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
On the first survey that Brooks has testers complete, one of the questions relates to price point - i.e., how much would you pay for this saddle? There were four options, the lowest of which was, IIRC, 100 clams and the highest of which was $250.
The lowest was 100 euros...135 clams
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-05-13, 07:07 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Yes it is.

That is the price I pay for Brooks saddles.
Um, no, because for you to get that used price, someone else had to be willing to pay the new price. The price you're willing to pay for a used saddle is not relevant to Brooks' pricing scheme.
Old 06-05-13, 07:17 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Yes, apparently. Never have I found a saddle to meet all those requirements.
I suppose that my comment didn't translate well to a written post. I was just joking, I know that is a nearly impossible request.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-05-13, 07:22 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I got my saddle today and installed it on my Fuji World, which is my primary commuter...pics attached. (two are pics of the C17 side-by-side with the B17 CS it is replacing).

First impressions: It's similar in appearance to a Selle Regal (isn't the same company the current owner of Brooks?). It's light...way lighter than a B17.

Installed it in the same position as the B17 I removed and took it for a short ride to verify that it wasn't an ass hatchet. It seemed perfectly fine, though obviously not as slick as the B17. I don't use bike shorts much...for this initial short ride that was not a problem at all. I'll have to withhold further observations on fit, comfort and durability until after I get some decent miles on it.

It should be pretty much weatherproof...a big plus for commuting...but again, I'll reserve judgement until after some soaker commutes.

Note there is more usable rail space than on the B17.
I like how the looks of the darker version better than the light one that was first posted.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-05-13, 07:47 PM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
The best view we have of the saddle so far and it looks very handsome. Shape-wise, it looks very "sexy" in this pic. plus the modern canle design looks refreshing.
I'm not looking for a textile saddle, but give me that thing with a leather cover on it and I might be first in line to buy one!

Chombi
Yes, leather please!
Old 06-05-13, 07:55 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
In the end they will use some combination of the user feedback and the cost of production. My guess would be that the saddles sell for close to $200. I would be on board pretty quick if it's MSRP is under $160. However, as others have mentioned, there is the MSRP and then prices "we can get" a brooks for. We all know the big UK online bike outlets will have these at reduced pricing at some point, though maybe not right away.
Old 06-05-13, 10:04 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Here's the most attractive version.

At anything over $125, it's a pass for me on the Brooks.
Old 06-06-13, 04:39 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
I wonder how it will react to temps well below freezing? Any testers have a walk in freezer?
Old 06-06-13, 06:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I've been tempted to poo-poo this whole idea and say there's nothing new under the sun, but I'm beginning to think otherwise. I'm starting to like the idea and the pictures.

Velognome, let's extend your idea and ask how well it will stand up to freezes, thaws, and high summer heat. Maybe we need a temperature-swing lab.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-06-13, 06:39 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I did poo-poo this whole thing but it was mostly the looks of the thing that put me off. However, I'm happy to hear that Azorch's initial test shows it to be very comfy. A leather cover with tiny holes, or perforations , would look nice. But then, I think someone's already done the leather covered Italian saddle thing.
Old 06-06-13, 06:40 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I'll take a stab and say retail is going to be $150.
Old 06-06-13, 06:44 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Has anyone soaked the saddle to duplicate 10 minutes in the rain? Is it meant to perform as an all-weather saddle?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-06-13, 07:24 AM
JML

Bikes: 3Rensho SR Export

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems that the cotton will wear away from abrasion; think of denim jeans. And the light color will stain, while the dark will fade. I wonder why they didn't chose a more wear-, light-, and water-resistant fabric than cotton.
Old 06-06-13, 09:07 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Has anyone soaked the saddle to duplicate 10 minutes in the rain? Is it meant to perform as an all-weather saddle?
How about three hours this morning soaked in butt sweat?

Actually, I got caught in a downpour yesterday and didn't notice any change, but quite honestly I really do think there's more chance of perspiration having a greater effect than rain water. In the rain I tend to stay planted to the saddle and my body is a pretty decent shield. I'm going to guess that the upper has been treated in some fashion other than just attaching raw cotton product; I have to believe that would be one of the first questions Brooks and the design team they collaborated with thought about. Again, just guessing, but I'd imagine that would further apply to the fade resistance/staining potential that JML brings up. This is purely conjecture on my part of course, but as a designer those are the sort of issues that also occurred to me and I'd be stunned if they weren't discussed as part of the design protocol during development.
Old 06-06-13, 09:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I hope we all realize that discussions of saddle comfort are discussions of our feelings in a very private place. Just putting that out there.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-06-13, 09:10 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
It's been raining all day...I rode to work in the rain it's been sitting out in the rain since (normally I cover it) just so I can see how it stands up to a good drenching. I'll let you know the result after I ride home later this afternoon.
Old 06-06-13, 09:13 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I hope we all realize that discussions of saddle comfort are discussions of our feelings in a very private place. Just putting that out there.
I am going to frame it in relation to the comfort of the B17 I replaced. I hate to say it, but so far I actually like it better, but more because it seems just a bit narrower, more like my Team Pro. Otherwise it's definitely not less comfy...but we'll see when I take it on a ride longer than my 5 mile commute.
Old 06-06-13, 09:32 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'm curious what you think Chipcom.

I don't know how I feel about this - I definitely want to see Chipcom's ride report. My initial reaction is that a leather Brooks works as is, so this has to offer an advantage over the existing product. That advantage has to be one of the following:

1. Price - doesn't seem like it's going to be any cheaper.
2. Aesthetics - definitely not.
3. Weight - seems to have an edge, but it's not something I care about much either way.
4. Durability - I don't see this outlasting a B-17 with bonded cloth.
5. Comfort - here's the test!
Old 06-06-13, 09:45 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Looks a lot like a regal but with bag loops. And I kind of want a regal with bag loops, so, if this were cheap enough, I'd probably be interested.

Old 06-06-13, 10:01 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Good analysis Aaron, but not sure if I agree with you on the aestethics, I happen to like the look of the saddle, especially in black. Too bad I don't have a bike in need of a saddle, but hey, there's always N+1.
Old 06-06-13, 10:02 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
all good concerns about the cotton fabric, I bet it's been given some sort of "Scotch-Guarding" treatment, but then that might wear away in time, too.
As for the durability of rubber in extreme temperature (hot and cold) likewise a concern, but I'd add another big one...
ozone.
Old 06-06-13, 10:02 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Seems like a great excuse for N+1
Old 06-06-13, 10:10 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
I wonder how it will react to temps well below freezing? Any testers have a walk in freezer?
I didn't get to test it, but I would have been able to ride it in real outdoor conditions at -30 Celsius next winter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.