Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 11-09-14, 06:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
The Bicycle Club of Irvine is one of the oldest - and certainly one of the largest - bike clubs in Southern California. Hundreds of riders show up for their weekend rides. I once showed up without a helmet, and took all kinds of abuse, including foul-mouthed insults. One guy put his face about ten inches in front of mine and yelled (literally) that riding without a helmet was against the rules and that he would not allow me to ride. Other people intervened before it came to blows but everyone did insist that the club forbade bare-headed participation, and several people claimed that the club would lose its liability insurance if I rode without a helmet.

Eventually, the club founder and president had to stand up and make a speech about the fact that the insurer had nothing at all to say about helmets and that the club had no rule about it one way or another. The entire experience sums up, for me, the level of knowledge (and manners) of the typical cyclist around here. It may also explain my attitude toward the "Just buy a helmet and wear it" posts on BF.
Did your unpleasant experience with the blowhard proselytizers and would be enforcers of a non existent club"rule" discourage you from ever again riding with this club? If so, the alleged "rule" served its purpose don't you think?
Old 11-09-14, 10:31 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yes, it did, and yes, I believe you are right. I am quite sure that the helmeteers would rather see people not ride than ride without helmets.

I do feel compelled to mention, for the sake of locals if no one else, that the founder and president of that club is a knowledgeable and pleasant fellow who does believe in helmets but does not believe in forcing them upon other people. If only that attitude was commonplace...
Old 11-09-14, 10:39 PM
Six jours

Oh, and just as a side note... The ride is a crash fest; a total free-for-all with no rules and no pack manners. I was a complete fool to do it without a helmet, and a good argument can be made that one is a complete fool to do it at all. It's a very good example of the idea that "You have to wear a helmet, bicycling is dangerous!" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you don't know what you're doing, bicycling can be very dangerous. The mistake is in assuming that nobody else knows what they're doing either.
Old 11-10-14, 07:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
i like

Wrong!!! Our club insurance co demands that any formal club sponsored ride states that all rider will wear helmets.
Old 11-10-14, 08:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by rydabent
i like

Wrong!!! Our club insurance co demands that any formal club sponsored ride states that all rider will wear helmets.
It is possible but unlikely in most cases where that demand is made by club members. Have you seen this restriction in writing from the insurance company, or did somebody tell you about it?

BTW, who exactly is being "insured" and for what on your formal club sponsored rides?
Old 11-10-14, 08:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Oh, and just as a side note... The ride is a crash fest; a total free-for-all with no rules and no pack manners. I was a complete fool to do it without a helmet, and a good argument can be made that one is a complete fool to do it at all. It's a very good example of the idea that "You have to wear a helmet, bicycling is dangerous!" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you don't know what you're doing, bicycling can be very dangerous. The mistake is in assuming that nobody else knows what they're doing either.
I can believe that club rides as you describe are risky business and provide good opportunities for cycling fools to show their "stuff."

I wonder what a bike club insurance policy would actually pay out for injuries to the helmeted club participants on a club ride. I suspect the policy only covers club officials from lawsuit against them from its own club members and/or the ride participants.
Old 11-10-14, 11:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I can believe that club rides as you describe are risky business and provide good opportunities for cycling fools to show their "stuff."

I wonder what a bike club insurance policy would actually pay out for injuries to the helmeted club participants on a club ride. I suspect the policy only covers club officials from lawsuit against them from its own club members and/or the ride participants.
Our club has insurance and requires a helmet be worn since the insurance is for the rider.
Old 11-10-14, 12:32 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Our club has insurance and requires a helmet be worn since the insurance is for the rider.
Have you read the policy and is the requirement for competitive rides or any ride at any time?
Old 11-10-14, 12:54 PM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Can any of the anti helmet types here explain why almost all bike clubs demand that all riders wear helmets on their club sponsored rides?
Because in Anglo-Saxon countries there's a strong inclination to force one's beliefs about cycling helmets onto other people?
Old 11-10-14, 02:01 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Assuming that helmet wear "could" help mitigate the severity of some injuries to some degree, what do you think explains the absence of injury statistics that demonstrate this mitigation effect when comparing bicycling populations where the percentage of helmet wear is relatively high as in North America or Australia vice countries where helmet wear is low as in NL or DE?
Different laws and cultures encourage different behaviors.
Old 11-10-14, 06:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Have you read the policy and is the requirement for competitive rides or any ride at any time?
There are no competitive rides.
Old 11-11-14, 09:03 AM
mconlonx

There are no competitive rides.
Wut? Try telling that to participants of the Wed night hammerfest in my neck of the woods...
Old 11-11-14, 12:34 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by mconlonx
Wut? Try telling that to participants of the Wed night hammerfest in my neck of the woods...
There is a Saturday AM ride with another group, most of them racers and then there is a PM ride out of a local park that is a hammerfest but with us we just go and enjoy. Just got back from a 62 miler with 42 of those miles riding with 3 other guys, 67 year old, 66 year old, me a 64 yo and the youngster at 53, at a 21.7mph average just a bit slower than Saturday's AM ride of 32 miles at 22.8mph average. No sprinting going on, just good old fashioned long uninterrupted miles.
Old 11-11-14, 02:01 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiglath
Such a fine argument... since my thinking differs from yours, I must be an incompetent rider, right?

If traffic around you was as kind as you are to strangers, you would be lying in pieces. Buzz off!
It seems you can't even read very well...since I mentioned your "experience indicates" and nothing about your "thinking". Wait, let me guess, you've hit your widdle head way too many times, proving that even a helmet can't cure stoopid.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-11-14, 02:08 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Bicycle Club of Irvine is one of the oldest - and certainly one of the largest - bike clubs in Southern California. Hundreds of riders show up for their weekend rides. I once showed up without a helmet, and took all kinds of abuse, including foul-mouthed insults. One guy put his face about ten inches in front of mine and yelled (literally) that riding without a helmet was against the rules and that he would not allow me to ride. Other people intervened before it came to blows but everyone did insist that the club forbade bare-headed participation, and several people claimed that the club would lose its liability insurance if I rode without a helmet.

Eventually, the club founder and president had to stand up and make a speech about the fact that the insurer had nothing at all to say about helmets and that the club had no rule about it one way or another. The entire experience sums up, for me, the level of knowledge (and manners) of the typical cyclist around here. It may also explain my attitude toward the "Just buy a helmet and wear it" posts on BF.
Until about 5 years ago the Hancock Horizontal Hundred, which started back in the 70s, did not require helmets. Then of course the nannies took over and started requiring them...and I haven't participated since. Welcome to the new normal, nannies using insurance premiums and other "administrative" means as to force their nanny agendas when they can't do it via passing laws due to popular opposition. But of course the nannies will tell you that some powerful lobbying organization is why they can't get national helmet laws passed.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-11-14, 02:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

There is a Saturday AM ride with another group, most of them racers and then there is a PM ride out of a local park that is a hammerfest but with us we just go and enjoy. Just got back from a 62 miler with 42 of those miles riding with 3 other guys, 67 year old, 66 year old, me a 64 yo and the youngster at 53, at a 21.7mph average just a bit slower than Saturday's AM ride of 32 miles at 22.8mph average. No sprinting going on, just good old fashioned long uninterrupted miles.
Was that good old fashioned ride accomplished by long stretches of peloton type drafting/tailgating of each other in order to maintain that pace for those distances? I might wear a helmet too if I was forced to participate in that type of cycling which I consider far more risky than riding properly, albeit slower, with a safe distance between cyclists.
Old 11-11-14, 04:12 PM
OldTryGuy

Was that good old fashioned ride accomplished by long stretches of peloton type drafting/tailgating of each other in order to maintain that pace for those distances? I might wear a helmet too if I was forced to participate in that type of cycling which I consider far more risky than riding properly, albeit slower, with a safe distance between cyclists.
Not much of a peloton when there's only 4 or 5 riders working together.
Old 11-11-14, 09:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Not much of a peloton when there's only 4 or 5 riders working together.
"Working together" means drafting/tailgating each other for 30 or 40 miles doesn't it?

What would happen if a non-helmeted rider asked to join in the old fashioned fun? Would you or your pals tell him to scram? Would the club insurance be cancelled if you guys did not comply with the insurance company/bike club edict?
Old 11-11-14, 11:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,347 Times in 7,189 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Until about 5 years ago the Hancock Horizontal Hundred, which started back in the 70s, did not require helmets.
...I always thought the horizontal 100 was done in the nude ?
Old 11-12-14, 10:16 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I always thought the horizontal 100 was done in the nude ?
Next thing, people will try to convince me that joining the mile high club requires a "raincoat"...
Old 11-13-14, 03:40 AM
OldTryGuy

"Working together" means drafting/tailgating each other for 30 or 40 miles doesn't it?

What would happen if a non-helmeted rider asked to join in the old fashioned fun? Would you or your pals tell him to scram? Would the club insurance be cancelled if you guys did not comply with the insurance company/bike club edict?
In August, a member showed up for the Tuesday AM ride with a friend who didn't have a helmet. Our ride leader asked him not to ride with the group because of the helmet required rule. Both riders took off on their own and the group continued with the ride. He accepted the rule and chose to comply.
Old 11-13-14, 09:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

In August, a member showed up for the Tuesday AM ride with a friend who didn't have a helmet. Our ride leader asked him not to ride with the group because of the helmet required rule. Both riders took off on their own and the group continued with the ride. He accepted the rule and chose to comply.
I don't question the right of a club to make and enforce its own riding rules and ettiquette. I am skeptical that in most cases mandatory helmet requirements for non race/competition bicycling rides are driven by insurance company requirements, in the absence of a local governmental requirement.
Old 11-13-14, 06:42 PM
Six jours

Did the guy live?
Old 11-14-14, 06:08 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Here's an "idea" (new helmet concept):
smart-hat
Old 11-14-14, 08:33 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Here's an "idea" (new helmet concept):
smart-hat
LOL - they are using the word "smart" rather loosely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.