Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

April 2018: Do I REALLY want to go tubeless?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: If you tried road tubeless, what did you think? (And please elaborate in a Reply.)
Tried it, didn't like it. (Please post why you didn't.)
9.89%
Tried it, but don't understand all the fuss. Meh.
14.29%
Tried it, really like it a lot. (Please post why.)
28.57%
Haven't tried it. But wanted to respond to the poll, anyway.
47.25%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

April 2018: Do I REALLY want to go tubeless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 06:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Thanks, this information is helpful for someone I am sure, But I asked about putting non Mavic tubeless tires on Mavic UST rims.
Sorry, I read that as "other than a Mavic tubeless on a Mavic UST rim."
Old 04-25-18, 06:38 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Yes, I guess you could call the 2.2w separating the two fastest clinchers as "in the same range," but when the same 2.2w spread is what separates the second place GPTT from the next 12 top finishers, I'd guess you could also call the Vittoria's result a smoking!
Its 2.2w for the TLR without sealant compared to the GPTT with butyl tubes. BRR has shown what difference latex vs butyl makes and what sealant adds in terms of resistance as well. If they actually compared the TLR with sealant to the GPTT with latex I bet they would be close to the same
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...eless-clincher

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...beless-sealant
Old 04-25-18, 06:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Its 2.2w for the TLR without sealant compared to the GPTT with butyl tubes. BRR has shown what difference latex vs butyl makes and what sealant adds in terms of resistance as well. If they actually compared the TLR with sealant to the GPTT with latex I bet they would be close to the same
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...eless-clincher

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...beless-sealant
What I'm seeing says that there was 20mL of sealant in the Corsa Speed TLR -

Inner Tube: None (20 ml sealant)
Because the Corsa Speed TLR is a tubeless-ready (TLR) tire, I've tested it without an inner tube and used 20 ml of sealant.
Old 04-25-18, 06:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm riding their Formula Pro RBCC. How are the Roadlites? I went with these because they're more durable but it sounds like that's not an issue for you? How do they compare to Pro Ones?
The Roadlite should be the more durable tire; it’s billed as their training and endurance tire, and is substantially heavier than the high grip RBCC.
Old 04-25-18, 06:55 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What I'm seeing says that there was 20mL of sealant in the Corsa Speed TLR -
The article says you should use 30ml, the difference between 0-20ml is pretty negligible anyways. The difference between a butyl and latex tube however is significant and makes up the 2w difference. I don't have experience with road tubeless but I use somewhere around 50ml for 33mm cyclocross tires to get enough pooling. Isn't 1oz/30ml pretty standard for road tubeless?
Old 04-25-18, 06:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
The article says you should use 30ml, the difference between 0-20ml is pretty negligible anyways. The difference between a butyl and latex tube however is significant and makes up the 2w difference. I don't have experience with road tubeless but I use somewhere around 50ml for 33mm cyclocross tires to get enough pooling. Isn't 1oz/30ml pretty standard for road tubeless?
That's about what I use, maybe a little more for the 30mm tires currently in place, but I don't know what the recommended is for other sealants.

Article says should be about 8.4 for the GP TT with the latex tubes. Not that I care about any of this - race-day-only tires aren't on the radar. The Vittorias are only 1.7mm thick - jeezuz.
Old 04-25-18, 07:40 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I've been running road tubeless for 3 seasons now and I've had zero flats. I have broken the bead loose to check the sealant and inspect the tires and have found obvious punctures that sealed (I actually pulled a 4 inch piece of wire from the inside of the tire).

The only time I've ever had mounting a tire was when I replaced the rim tape with Stan's rim tape, which I believe is too thick and took up too much room in the rim bed (Orange Seal has rim tape that is very thin and works just fine). I've run Bontrager, IRC and Schwalbe on my American Classic Argent rims.

It takes me 10 to 15 minutes to remove both wheels, remove the tires, mount new tires, add sealant and seat the tire.

The only issue I had was this week when I decided to switch from Orange Seal to Stan's Race sealant. A previously sealed puncture started leaking during a ride but, eventually sealed at a lower psi and I was able to finish my ride. In my garage I added more Stan's and when I got the tire to 90 psi it began leaking again but, it eventually sealed. I fixed the issue by going back to Orange Seal which sealed the puncture while during the seating process and I haven't had a problem since.

I've had punctures on my gravel bike that required a boot. There is very little mess, I take the wheel off the bike, go to the side of the road, break the tire loose and pour out any sealant left in the tire. Once that is done, I boot the tire, remove the valve, insert the tube and air the tire up.

I respect the opinions of those who don't like/want to try tubeless but, as for me, I'm happy with tubeless.

FYI - One of the benefits, besides fewer flats, of tubeless is being able to ride at lower psi, I am not sure why anybody would ride tubeless at psi above 100 (not to start another debate but, I believe that lower psi has been proven to decrease rolling resistance)

My lesson learned is don't mess with what works (i.e. Stan's vs. Orange Seal)

Last edited by Planemaker; 04-25-18 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 05:43 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would like to try tubeless, since I have the wheels for it already, but when I purchased my new set of tires I couldn't justify the cost considering how few flats I get. Still, IRC tires prices aren't terrible here, but still much more than good clinchers.
Old 04-26-18, 11:36 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I've been flatting about 2x a week, so I'm definitely interested in tubeless. Out here in the desert goatheads are a real issue, and anything with less puncture resistance than Gatorskins is susceptible. Problem is Gatorskins are slow af and that doesn't work for racing (and some training rides).

I'm in the market for another bike in 6-12 months and may go disc, so no buying wheelsets until then.
Old 04-26-18, 02:31 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
I've been running road tubeless for 3 seasons now and I've had zero flats. I have broken the bead loose to check the sealant and inspect the tires and have found obvious punctures that sealed (I actually pulled a 4 inch piece of wire from the inside of the tire).

The only time I've ever had mounting a tire was when I replaced the rim tape with Stan's rim tape, which I believe is too thick and took up too much room in the rim bed (Orange Seal has rim tape that is very thin and works just fine). I've run Bontrager, IRC and Schwalbe on my American Classic Argent rims.

It takes me 10 to 15 minutes to remove both wheels, remove the tires, mount new tires, add sealant and seat the tire.

The only issue I had was this week when I decided to switch from Orange Seal to Stan's Race sealant. A previously sealed puncture started leaking during a ride but, eventually sealed at a lower psi and I was able to finish my ride. In my garage I added more Stan's and when I got the tire to 90 psi it began leaking again but, it eventually sealed. I fixed the issue by going back to Orange Seal which sealed the puncture while during the seating process and I haven't had a problem since.

I've had punctures on my gravel bike that required a boot. There is very little mess, I take the wheel off the bike, go to the side of the road, break the tire loose and pour out any sealant left in the tire. Once that is done, I boot the tire, remove the valve, insert the tube and air the tire up.

I respect the opinions of those who don't like/want to try tubeless but, as for me, I'm happy with tubeless.

FYI - One of the benefits, besides fewer flats, of tubeless is being able to ride at lower psi, I am not sure why anybody would ride tubeless at psi above 100 (not to start another debate but, I believe that lower psi has been proven to decrease rolling resistance)

!!! Any theory on how it got in there?
Old 04-26-18, 02:59 PM
Planemaker

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
!!! Any theory on how it got in there?

The wire was from a radial tire and was still in the hole it created on enty, the Orange Seal sealed around it. I must have run over the wire while riding and it worked itself into the tire as I continued my ride. Since I didn't flat, I would have never noticed the wire in my tire.
Old 04-26-18, 05:24 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went tubeless for the 40mm tires on the TCX because getting things back in order after a flat was such an ordeal. Because they are so huge, it's a piece of cake to get them off and put them back on again, but getting them straight was another matter. Then I realized: tires don't have to be tubeless to take advantage of sealant. You can put sealant in tubulars, too, which I've done so I'm a little less hesitant to ride random roads with them now. Hence the "meh" vote.
Old 04-27-18, 01:49 AM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I was in process of building my new bike 2017 kinesis tripster a/t and went tubeless for type of riding it would see( many miles of gravel)
Old 04-27-18, 06:35 AM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've wanted to try tubeless for a while, I've already got ultegra wheels. I am still holding out hope that Conti will put out a tubeless road tire. I've seen too many mixed reviews about the schwalbes to try them.
Old 04-27-18, 10:06 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by evan326
I've wanted to try tubeless for a while, I've already got ultegra wheels. I am still holding out hope that Conti will put out a tubeless road tire. I've seen too many mixed reviews about the schwalbes to try them.
Conti tires are no big deal worth holding out for; there's just no magic fairy dust there. The GP4kS2 is good and generally, comparatively inexpensive, but there's a lot of good rubber out there. And, there are plenty of other tubeless tires besides Schwalbe-- which, btw, any model aside, are generally considered some of the finest tires available-- that you could try out.
Old 04-27-18, 10:08 AM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're probably right, I know that the duranos that came stock sucked and kinda scared me away from schwalbe. I've seen mixed reviews about the pro 1. I feel I'll eventually try.
You didn't get the packet of fairy dust with your contis????
Old 04-27-18, 10:25 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
The wire was from a radial tire and was still in the hole it created on enty, the Orange Seal sealed around it. I must have run over the wire while riding and it worked itself into the tire as I continued my ride. Since I didn't flat, I would have never noticed the wire in my tire.

Wow. Hard to imagine riding with several inches of wire sticking out of the tire for some time

while it worked it's way in.

Did you take a pic of it?
Old 04-27-18, 10:29 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by evan326
You're probably right, I know that the duranos that came stock sucked and kinda scared me away from schwalbe. I've seen mixed reviews about the pro 1. I feel I'll eventually try.
You didn't get the packet of fairy dust with your contis????
I may have gotten the fairy, but I probably snorted it mid-ride to revive myself rather than sprinkle it on the tires!

I've used both the One and the Pro One tubeless, and while I had my own cut episode with a brand new P1, I still use them and I still think they're superfine performers; feel great, roll fast, grip amazingly. It all depends on your needs, though, but there are lots of good quality tubeless tires out there, probably at least a couple of which should fit your needs, unless your needs including spending the same $40/tire which it costs to roll GP4kS2; performance tubeless tires start at $50 and are mostly pricier, with few sales. I suppose if you factor in the cost of a tube-- call it $10 from LBS-- and the cost of sealant at $4/2oz btl, the gap closes a bit.
Old 02-03-19, 07:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Tubeless works for me. I run three road bikes and wheelsets tubeless, and have for a few years.

Like tubed tire/rim combos, there's a lot of variability in how tubeless tire/rim combos mount up, some easily, some with great difficulty. For example, Schwalbe Pro One 23c mount effortlessly on 19.4mm BSW American Classic Argent rims, but 25c IRC Formula Pro are a real challenge to mount on that rim, to the point where I wonder if they're actually field serviceable (i.e. if a bead can be removed to insert a tube in case of non-sealing tire damage).
I may pick up a set of the Argent TLRs.. what's your long term impression of these and which tires have you found work best with these? Initially may just run them with tubes, but can't hurt to have an idea.

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Why such high pressures with a 25mm tire? (Not criticizing. Just asking.) I run 80psi in my tubed 25mm tires and I weigh in at 175lbs. Is there a reason for a higher pressure with tubeless? Personal preference?
Do any of the 15% drop guidelines cease to be applicable when considering tubeless? 80psi sounds correct for an approx. 140lb rider, while a 180lb rider would be more appropriately served by about 105psi.
Old 02-03-19, 07:54 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I may pick up a set of the Argent TLRs.. what's your long term impression of these and which tires have you found work best with these? Initially may just run them with tubes, but can't hurt to have an idea.
I still love the Argent wheels, which I started running in '12, and lament that AC is out of business for several months now, so finding a set of Argents will be a challenge, but to your question, I've good luck with both Schwalbe Pro One and Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11Storm.

But yeah, the Argent was so far ahead of the curve, tech-wise, it's crazy to consider. How many wheels lead the market for anything like 8 years? Only AC Argent, I think. I mean, 2:1 lacing, sub 1400gm, 30mm height, 19.4mm inners, wide stance bearings...aluminum! Do I need to tell you what the **** you can do with an aluminum tube? (Dave Chappelle reference there!). Nope, nobody put as much together in a wheel as Bill Shook did those. Love 'em.
Old 02-03-19, 09:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Do any of the 15% drop guidelines cease to be applicable when considering tubeless? 80psi sounds correct for an approx. 140lb rider, while a 180lb rider would be more appropriately served by about 105psi.
Pretty much. I run 90psi for my rear 700x25, and I weigh around 210lbs. Giant Gavia AC1.
Old 02-04-19, 08:22 AM
Chad h

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my tubeless running in my road and gravel bike. Had small punctures sealant worked like it should. I can see it not working for a slice in a tire. I ride some really crappy roads upstate ny. Before tubeless I was fixing a flat every few weeks haven’t had a flat in over a year since switching
Old 02-04-19, 10:22 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I probably wouldn't go with those, unless they are practically free.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ne...ts-down-51520/
Old 02-10-19, 08:51 AM
deepakvrao

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Struggled with tubeless when I started with them, but the benefits of never having a ride interrupted are worth it. Innumerable times, small flats would not even be noticed till later, and I could get away by filling and spinning the wheel. I found big punctures would sometimes not hold pressures above 50 or so, but the ride could still be finished. So, I would come home and remove the tyre to patch it. That's when the hassle of re seating came about. So, just started using Dynaplugs, and they seem to be the solution.

Finally, my take away

My holy grail for road tubeless [after 3 years on them].

1. After installing and seating a new tyre, which is never difficult, try never to ever have to take it off.
2. How? Dynaplug - as soon as you get a flat
3. If you have to take it off
4. Remove one layer rim tape and replace. Fresh tape helps seating the tyre better. Sometimes you can get away without this with application of plenty of soap
5. As far as possible do not ADD another layer of tape, as it raises the level where the tyre seats while fitting the tyre, leading to the broken levers, injured hands and swear words
6. Plenty of soap while re seating a tyre
7. Fill air with core out
8. Insert core without letting out much air so tyre does not de seat
9. Let tyre stand for a day
10. THEN remove core and fill sealant
11. NOW, use Dynaplugs so you don't have to do this crap again

BTW, last but not the least, get an electric compressor with a reservoir tank.

NEVER going back to tubes.
Old 02-10-19, 10:02 PM
deepakvrao

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Orange seal regular or the endurance? Which do you recommend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.