Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Take action to HELP a dog?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 07:01 PM
Malemute_Kid

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, Redline Monocog 29er, Specialized Sequoia Elite, Pivot 429 Trail, Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A lot of folks on here seem to post about problems with dogs where they have to take a negative action against a dog. Today on my commute i decided to help a dog...

My commute involves a long climb on a rural two lane road. About half way up this climb, two yippy dogs started barking and running down their long driveway toward me on the road. The owner was at the house and was yelling for the dogs to return. One did, but the other continued out onto the road chasing me. Cars fly down this road, and there was a car approaching us from the top of the hill. i did not feel threatened by this little guy, and would have hated to see him get hit by the car, so i turned into the driveway so he wouldnt continue following me up the road. Right after turning into his driveway, he ran back toward his owner. The owner thanked me from a distance and i waved, then was on my way.

Anyone else ever do something like this?
Likes For Malemute_Kid:
Old 03-08-17, 12:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sure. A couple of times I've led free range dogs chasing me back to their own yards or feeders. I don't really consider them owners or masters since they don't train their dogs or take responsibility for them. They just feed them and let 'em roam. Most people who have dogs should have cats instead. They like the idea of dogs but not the reality.

Most dogs that have chased me aren't aggressive or threatening. The biggest danger has been from dogs thinking it's a parade and darting to and fro in front of me. I've run over a couple of dogs that did that and suddenly stopped or changed directions into my front wheel. No injuries to either of us, fortunately.
Old 03-08-17, 01:08 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I usually don't stop for dogs, but I figure telling them to "GO HOME" is good training, and hopefully minimizes their time on the roads.

I had a small dog chasing me for a block or two last year, and really wanted it to stop so it didn't do something stupid.
Old 03-08-17, 07:45 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
A friend of mine was on a touring trip when a dog followed him out of a small village. He tried to shoo it away, as it was a hot day and there was no water for the next 20kms. The dog kept following him and was soon exhausted, my friend stopped a couple of times and gave it water from his bottle. Finally the dog stayed at the next village.
Old 03-08-17, 08:14 AM
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Heck, all the time. Or at least, every time I get chased by a dog, I slow down or stop, or do whatever I think is best to try to keep the dog from being hit. I'll sometimes lead them back home, though usually just dismounting, pointing back at their home and telling them to go home will put them off. They generally want to chase, if I stop then I'm no fun and they still bark but they'll almost always back off. If they still just stand there, I just ride off really slowly so I'm still not any fun and they go away.

The one I still feel bad about is a dog that followed me once probably 30 years ago, I was cross country skiing to work, about 10 miles away. He was friendly and followed me at least 5 miles, I could NOT make him go back no matter what I did. I got to work and went inside. I have no idea what happened to him.
Old 03-08-17, 10:42 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I can't remember specifics, but I think I have coaxed stray dogs off the street. 25 Years ago I did take in an old gray faced dog who was out in the street when I lived on a busy road. I called the number on the collar and the owner replied a couple of hours later and came and got him.
Old 03-08-17, 10:46 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At least twice a week, I have to lead a dog back home or stop and yell at him till he gets out of the street. I ride through a poorer area on my route and there are far too many loose dogs but even in my own neighborhood, dogs get loose and want to chase/follow/play with me.

Felt bad that I didn't stop this morning and see if this playful boxer's tags had a phone number, but at least I got him off the busier street.
Old 03-08-17, 11:50 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I get ticked off when little dogs run out into the road to chase me, more so at the Owner for not keeping control of their pets.
Old 03-08-17, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
County animal Control's number on your Phone?
Old 03-08-17, 01:30 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The problem isn't the dog, it's the dog owner. And to answer your question, yes, I have yelled at plenty of dog owners, which hopefully will help their dog.
Old 03-08-17, 04:41 PM
Malemute_Kid

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, Redline Monocog 29er, Specialized Sequoia Elite, Pivot 429 Trail, Salsa Mukluk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
in my case this was an isolated incident, its the first time i have had dogs chase me on my commute, and i have been riding the same route, for several years.
Old 05-27-20, 09:13 AM
Izzy77

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's very dangerous behaviour especially for the dog. If you love your dog and want the same attitude back, you need to care about the pet. So, I'm always trying to be gentle with my goldendoodle and make his life better and better. I'm allergic... So,when I was choosing th breed i searched a lot for the information about hypoallergenic dogs. Just one thing really explained me everything and helped me. So, now we are happy together with my dog Morty. Have you know that this breed is hypoallergetic one? I learned it recently and it's very good for me because my son has some symptoms of allergy. Here is the information https://petpls.com/are-goldendoodles...t-just-a-myth/

Last edited by Izzy77; 06-03-20 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 12:00 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Occasionally on the canal paths there are a couple smaller dogs that will chase me a hundred yards or so, but they turn back and go home so not much to do there. But I did once come across a boxer that had fallen in the canal and couldn't climb back out. I tried and tried to get him out, but no luck for about 15 minutes. Finally somebody else came along and together we were able to rescue the boxer who promptly ran back home. No idea how long he was down there but he was cold and shivering so it was a while. Luckily the water was only about a foot deep that day.