Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

In which country is Poseidon made?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-18-20, 04:13 PM
bikeamateur70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Does anyone know in whiich country the American brand Poseidon has their bike frames made?
Old 06-18-20, 06:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Who is that /? Poseidon adventure, the movie is all I've heard of ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Po...re_(1972_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poseidon
Old 06-18-20, 06:18 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
I'd guess it's outsourced to CHIIIInaa or Taimerica.
Old 06-18-20, 08:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Have you asked them:
https://www.poseidonbike.com/pages/get-in-touch

Also what does it matter it is a super low cost alloy frame if you are going that low for a bike you have to imagine it is not coming out of a place of quality or good practices. Don't expect it to be some artisan frame builder more likely a hot factory with poor working conditions and there has been at least a couple worker deaths that were swept under the carpet .
Old 06-19-20, 08:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
... it is not coming out of a place of quality or good practices....more likely a hot factory with poor working conditions and there has [sic] been at least a couple worker deaths that were swept under the carpet...
Wow. Cool rant, bra. I'm surprised that you didn't mention human trafficking in person, and the evils of capitalism.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-19-20, 11:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Also what does it matter it is a super low cost alloy frame if you are going that low for a bike you have to imagine it is not coming out of a place of quality or good practices. Don't expect it to be some artisan frame builder more likely a hot factory with poor working conditions and there has been at least a couple worker deaths that were swept under the carpet .
Good lord- the snob strikes again.
This rant is just filled with assumptions and logical fallacies.

Not everyone can afford higher costing frames, bikes, and components.
Not everyone wants higher costing frames, bikes, and components.
Not all companies that build lower costing frames, bikes, and components treat their employees in the above manner.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-19-20, 05:31 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
It looks like buying a pig in a poke - returns must be in the unopened box. I think you can get lower prices and better service from bikesdirect.com and better bikes at lower prices from Craigslist.

I wonder if they're made in Greece....
Old 06-19-20, 11:10 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Poseidon is headquartered in La Habra, CA (I've seen more than a few LA/OC cyclists riding Poseidons).

The Poseidon website says: "We are a consumer-direct business which means we don't go through any extra distribution channels. Our bikes are manufactured in a factory that we own and operate which allows us to ensure quality while giving you an affordable price. Our legacy of in-house manufacturing gives us the power and experience to source, design and build the highest-value bikes and components on the market." Don't know where the factory is located.

https://www.poseidonbike.com/pages/who-we-are
Old 06-19-20, 11:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Who is that /? Poseidon adventure, the movie is all I've heard of ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Po...re_(1972_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poseidon

Rubber side up.
Old 06-20-20, 12:06 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomlyWest
Poseidon is headquartered in La Habra, CA (I've seen more than a few LA/OC cyclists riding Poseidons).

The Poseidon website says: "We are a consumer-direct business which means we don't go through any extra distribution channels. Our bikes are manufactured in a factory that we own and operate which allows us to ensure quality while giving you an affordable price. Our legacy of in-house manufacturing gives us the power and experience to source, design and build the highest-value bikes and components on the market." Don't know where the factory is located.

https://www.poseidonbike.com/pages/who-we-are
They're made in Asia somewhere, guaranteed. If they were domestically manufactured, they would advertise it specifically as "Made in the USA."

Fact is that US skilled labor costs are an order of magnitude higher than places like China or India. EPA, OSHA, Liability insurance, and many other rules and regulations make it a very expensive venture to manufacture anything here. I don't begrudge people for buying Asian-made bikes, if it that's all they have a budget for. Asian-made bike is still infinitely better than no bike at all.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 06-20-20, 12:44 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Well obviously. If it were Italian it would be called Triton and if it were American it would be Aquaman.

In the “like a fish needs a bicycle” idiom, this is the bike.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-20-20, 03:02 AM
sledgefisher

Bikes: 1968 - Peugeot PR10 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1987 / 1987 Gitane Super Corsa Reynolds 531, 1969 Moulton Super, 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
They're made in Asia somewhere, guaranteed. If they were domestically manufactured, they would advertise it specifically as "Made in the USA."

Fact is that US skilled labor costs are an order of magnitude higher than places like China or India. EPA, OSHA, Liability insurance, and many other rules and regulations make it a very expensive venture to manufacture anything here. I don't begrudge people for buying Asian-made bikes, if it that's all they have a budget for. Asian-made bike is still infinitely better than no bike at all.
The vast majority of bikes are made in Asia now and have been for some years. There are a few artisan bike builders around but mainly they are made in Asia. Even those expensive branded bikes that are European / American companies have manufacturing plants in Asian countries.
Likes For sledgefisher:
Old 06-20-20, 06:28 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
. Even those expensive branded bikes that are European / American companies have manufacturing plants in Asian countries
Contract with. They do not own the manufacturing plants.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 06-20-20, 06:56 AM
Gconan

It looks like buying a pig in a poke - returns must be in the unopened box. I think you can get lower prices and better service from bikesdirect.com and better bikes at lower prices from Craigslist.

Where does it say that "returns must be in the unopened box."?
From the website.......
We know returns can be a pain but whether it is a different size bike or a part that is just not working right, we are here to help you out. Since every return or issue is unique we want to speak with you directly to sort this out as fast as possible. Head to our contact page by clicking here and let us know what you are experiencing and how we can help. We respond very quickly through email so we'll have a solution for you right away
Old 06-20-20, 07:07 AM
Gconan

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Well obviously. If it were Italian it would be called Triton and if it were American it would be Aquaman.

In the “like a fish needs a bicycle” idiom, this is the bike.
From their website, "We introduce our flagship road bike, the Triton. For those that do not know, Triton was the son of Poseidon whom with his shell was able to calm and raise the waves as he pleased. It is with this name that we produced an opportunity to experience soothing calm and exhilarating strength."
Old 06-20-20, 07:56 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
From https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...iton-gold-dust
Please make sure the bike you select is the correct size for you. For an exchange you must pay the shipping for your original order to come back. Bike must be unopened and unridden in the original packaging.

All straight returns are subject to 15% restocking fee and return shipping. Bicycle must be returned in original packaging (unopened and unridden).
They don't say 'unopened box' but what else does 'unopened' mean?
Old 06-20-20, 09:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
From their website, "We introduce our flagship road bike, the Triton. For those that do not know, Triton was the son of Poseidon whom with his shell was able to calm and raise the waves as he pleased. It is with this name that we produced an opportunity to experience soothing calm and exhilarating strength."
Fair cop. I was thinking of Neptune. But I'm sure that I got Aquaman right.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-20-20, 10:24 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Atlantis.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-20-20, 04:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Wow. Cool rant, bra. I'm surprised that you didn't mention human trafficking in person, and the evils of capitalism.
Wow...you couldn't respond to the content just a clichéd phrase because you had nothing else. Cool comment. bra!

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Good lord- the snob strikes again.
This rant is just filled with assumptions and logical fallacies.

Not everyone can afford higher costing frames, bikes, and components.
Not everyone wants higher costing frames, bikes, and components.
Not all companies that build lower costing frames, bikes, and components treat their employees in the above manner.
Ok then, explain how one can sell super cheaply with high quality and good employee treatment and stay in business. These things cost money or you must do something shady to acquire them. Look at the price and tell me honestly you believe that these frames are built in great factories with great worker care?

I know it is easier to hide behind the rose colored glasses and just shout "snob" because someone dares question something selling for very little money but maybe step away and think critically and logically.

Also just so you are aware because it seems like your mind is cloudy, I do realize people cannot always afford high priced bikes and components.
Old 06-21-20, 06:51 AM
Gconan

Ok then, explain how one can sell super cheaply with high quality and good employee treatment and stay in business. These things cost money or you must do something shady to acquire them. Look at the price and tell me honestly you believe that these frames are built in great factories with great worker care?
They do that by going overseas. You think if they almost doubled the price like Trek/Specialized/Cannondale/99% of all bike companies you would think better of their labor policies. This company is a little bitty teeny company that cannot compete and charge a high profit like the above. If they added more profit and cost the same as Trek/Specialized/ect do you think they could compete? Their Bikes almost certainly come from the same Asian countries as the others. Do you pick on almost all other bikes made in China? Or if Trek can get more money for theirs than Posiden does that mean the Chinese factory is better? Now Taiwanese factory workers are probably better than their Chinese counterparts, but Chinese factory to factory what is the difference?

If American importers charge more for a Chinese frame than another American importer it does not mean that Chinese factory has better health regulations, just one company can add more profits than the smaller no name company.
Old 06-21-20, 07:06 AM
bikeamateur70

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I sent a message to the company and they replied very quickly: Their bike frames are made in China. That said I have no opinion whether the labor conditions are worse or better at their plant(s) compared to more known brands as Trek and Specialized. Will not mind getting to more reliable information in that regard.

I guess they are sponsored, but see several vloggers on youtube give the Poseidon X rather good reviews, like Spindatt and Lockedin.
Likes For bikeamateur70:
Old 06-21-20, 07:09 AM
bikeamateur70

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Links to Spindatt and Lockedin on youtube
and
Likes For bikeamateur70:
Old 06-21-20, 11:58 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
The cheaper bikes aren't just cheaper because they aren't from a big marketing machine like trek or specialized

All the bolt on parts are basically the same price, and if anything the big guys are getting those parts cheaper due to volume. The cheap guys are using lower cost frames as the primary place to save money. They also have basically no marketing costs. Smaller guys lack the buying power to get good prices on parts.
Old 06-21-20, 09:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Gconan
They do that by going overseas. You think if they almost doubled the price like Trek/Specialized/Cannondale/99% of all bike companies you would think better of their labor policies. This company is a little bitty teeny company that cannot compete and charge a high profit like the above. If they added more profit and cost the same as Trek/Specialized/ect do you think they could compete? Their Bikes almost certainly come from the same Asian countries as the others. Do you pick on almost all other bikes made in China? Or if Trek can get more money for theirs than Posiden does that mean the Chinese factory is better? Now Taiwanese factory workers are probably better than their Chinese counterparts, but Chinese factory to factory what is the difference?

If American importers charge more for a Chinese frame than another American importer it does not mean that Chinese factory has better health regulations, just one company can add more profits than the smaller no name company.
Not sure why you didn't quote me and just quoted text but whatever.

The answer is yes I do not much care for bikes from China. it is universal, it could be $200 or $2000.

Taiwan has much better quality and standards. Not that it matters exceptionally what gender a countries leader is but Taiwan does have a female who was elected and she does support some semblance of LGBTQQI Rights and other more people forward reforms. Plus they have pineapple cake ; )
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-21-20, 10:33 PM
Gconan

Not sure why you didn't quote me and just quoted text but whatever.

The answer is yes I do not much care for bikes from China. it is universal, it could be $200 or $2000.

Taiwan has much better quality and standards. Not that it matters exceptionally what gender a countries leader is but Taiwan does have a female who was elected and she does support some semblance of LGBTQQI Rights and other more people forward reforms. Plus they have pineapple cake ; )
But even better. They were the bike making capitol of the world for a long time. All the mountain bike companies bought from Taiwan. They have no doubt made more American Bikes (like most of the kind bike forums members ride) than anyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.