Old 06-15-20, 01:10 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
BayArea repair aluminum frame

My friend's aluminum frame ( 2014 Specialized Dolce ) has a hairline crack near the rear wheel.

I don’t think the components are good enough to salvage to buy a newer frame.

I am looking for recommendations on a place to get it welded and about how much it would cost to repair.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...roduct/3052259

https://everysingle.bike/models/2014-...-sport-compact
Old 06-16-20, 10:34 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
A quick Google search of “ Aluminum Welding” turned up numerous Bay Area locations, I assume their prices could be all over the map.
Old 06-16-20, 11:19 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
don't think this is a great idea, Depending on the aluminum, heat treating is needed after the weld so the cost effectiveness is a big question

Also crack near rear wheel is a bit vague

If your friend is original purchaser they can try to see if they can get a warranty replacment

for more expert input on the welding go to framebuilders https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/ and post with a picture

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-16-20, 11:36 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by squirtdad
don't think this is a great idea, Depending on the aluminum, heat treating is needed after the weld so the cost effectiveness is a big question

Also crack near rear wheel is a bit vague

If your friend is original purchaser they can try to see if they can get a warranty replacment

for more expert input on the welding go to framebuilders https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/ and post with a picture

Thanks for your input.

The bike is way past warranty. It is from 2014. From looking online the bike is probably only worth 300 to 400. If I get get it fixed for $50 to $100 it would be worth it just as a loner bike. Looks like there is no way I can get it fixed that makes economic sense.

Maybe she can donate the bike and they can use the parts to build other bikes. I only noticed the crack because I was putting on brand new tires :/
Old 06-16-20, 04:59 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Thanks for your input.

The bike is way past warranty. It is from 2014. From looking online the bike is probably only worth 300 to 400. If I get get it fixed for $50 to $100 it would be worth it just as a loner bike. Looks like there is no way I can get it fixed that makes economic sense.

Maybe she can donate the bike and they can use the parts to build other bikes. I only noticed the crack because I was putting on brand new tires :/
seriously check out the framebuilders with a picture......they are more knowledgeable than I am

Old 06-25-20, 08:24 PM
anotherbrian

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If she is the original owner and has proof of purchase (I think the dealers record the sales) then Specialized has a lifetime warranty (on defective workmanship).

If it has been beat to death they might claim it is just worn out, but if original owner it is worth the try. They won’t give you new components, so anything new (for instance if they no longer had rim brake frames as warranty replacements) would be on her, and I’ve heard shops will charge labor to move components around (just do it yourself).

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Thanks for your input.

Likes For anotherbrian:
Old 06-26-20, 05:08 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by anotherbrian
If she is the original owner and has proof of purchase (I think the dealers record the sales) then Specialized has a lifetime warranty (on defective workmanship).
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/warranty

• We stand behind our frames—forever. This means we offer a lifetime warranty to the original owner against structural defects in material or workmanship on ALL models of Specialized-branded frames and forks. This includes seatstays and chainstays on full-suspension bikes.
  • Just like our frames, Roval wheels are warrantied for life.
  • Other Specialized-branded products (as well as frame paint and graphics) are covered by a two-year warranty. Turbo batteries have a warranty for 2 years or 300 charge cycles—whichever comes first.
  • If you're the second, or later, owner of a Specialized or Roval product, you are eligible for a two-year warranty from the date of the original retail purchase.

I did not know that. Thank you.
Old 06-26-20, 05:12 PM
sean.hwy

This year I just purchased two cannondale. I just looked up their warranty. I need to

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/warranty
Cannondale bicycles must be registered on cannondale.com or in person by an Authorized Cannondale Retailer in order to activate the lifetime frame warranty described below.
thank you!!