Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

SEAL-nots

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 08:37 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Your so called condoms in tires, or inner tubes, aren’t going anywhere in your lifetime or mine, nor our kids. Reliability, simplicity, and economy will always win out. From everything I’ve read, I’d go back to tubulars, before switching to tubeless. If I’m going to have a flat, I want to actually run over something to cause it.
Tim
Old 07-19-20, 08:45 AM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Yeah, but are you Wisconsin drinking?
So as a fellow Cheese Head, what's your requirement for "Wisconsin drinking"? Brandy Old-Fashions?
Old 07-20-20, 08:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that English is a second language for this poster. I've had plenty of college students (native English speakers) whose writing skills are only slightly better. If you are older than about 40 years, you might be surprised by high school standards in some states.
I saw the "Western Siberia" in the signature line but not the Wisconsin bit. My mistake.

As for the rest of the post - or what little sense I can make of it: I really don't understand the complaint, so am supposing it is user error. Most sealant works fine when used as recommended.
I understand the point Aladin is trying to make but, given the poor communication skills, I suspect Aladin doesn't have many chemistry skills as well. Sealant does have a problem. It shouldn't "dry" out of a sealed container. The problem is that the container isn't sealed to the sealant. It's a bit like trying to carry around water in a paper towel bottle. The water gets absorbed into the paper and isn't inside the bottle anymore. The sealant needs a different solvent that won't dissolve into the rubber of the tire. The sealant is a kludge job at best and needs some work.

The whole system is a multifaceted problem that is not easy to solve. Tire rubber formulations have been changed from the early days...at least you don't have tires blistering anymore...and the sealant formulations have changed some too. But there may not be a solution that is easy and inexpensive. A "dry sealant" would need something to activate it and the only thing available would be air but air has to be used in the tires so the sealant would be activated. Wet sealant is already somewhat activated because it dries out and forms "coral" inside the tire.

Bottom line, a sealant and tire might be able to be made that would do better but it would probably cost much more or the manufacturers would make less money. Frankly, Aladin could do the work and reap the reward but that might require some work on his part.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-20-20, 09:07 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Good to know. I thought a Boilermaker was a whiskey shot with a beer chaser on the side. I used to drink those back in the 2000s -- but my bartender and I called it a "Bush and Cheney" - since one of the drinks was dark and strong, the other light and weak.
The dropping of a shot into a beer has been around for ages. The first time I saw it was in an old World War 2 movie. I've seen it in others as well. It likely has it's origins from steam engine (both stationary and mobile) builders in the 1800s.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-20-20, 09:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
So as a fellow Cheese Head, what's your requirement for "Wisconsin drinking"? Brandy Old-Fashions?
Early and often. preferably local products.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-21-20, 05:45 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Okay, a little hard to parse but I suspect there’s a bit of a language issue. Kudos on knowing English because, as an American, I have zero language skills outside of English.

That said, sealant is a complex problem that is kind of difficult to solve. The latex in the sealant needs to be kept in very small particles until it needs to agglomerated together to make large particles to fill a hole. That’s not an easy task to solve. Essentially, you have a can of paint that is in constant contact with air and the issue is to keep the paint from drying until you absolutely need it to.

The glycol in the sealant are meant to do this but there are issues. It keeps the latex dispersed but it is also soluble in the rubber of the tire. The air pressure in the tire also drives the glycol to dissolve into and through the rubber (Le Chatelier’s Principle). It’s a difficult problem to solve. Changing the solvent might work but I suspect the shelf life would suffer.

A dry sealant probably wouldn’t work because there is nothing to disperse the sealant where it is needed. Belts in the tire are only partially successful...tube tires are susceptible to punctures with belts. We’ve had pneumatic tires for 150 years now and no one has developed a foolproof system.

Bottom line, you just have to live with the problems. There is not magic bullet to fix it.

The guys peddling the seal-nots of today are just rebranding bulk products... Elmer's glue, et al. Likely the cost for them is bottling and packaging.. the actual seal-NOT is cheeeep. My recent 'speriments w Berryman's... LMFAO.. stuff is a complete joke otta the bottle. Too thick to flow at any at psi... sent code off bottle to the contact.. heard nothing. And even w me of all people in 'what am I doing wrong' mode.. go figure. Stuff appears JUNK.
Latest trial thinned down half-half w water....

I have dry recipes in mind.. I believe likely products applied elsewhere might work... or build off of. Accepting status quo... why? Probably main reason .. least one of them.. no good seal-nots is it voids the tube.. which means revenue AWOL.

90%+ of the elements posting see this world from a tiny window. Entertainment.. bored refugees from the primate cages of any metro zoo. Wind thru the mt cranium's.. look to Wash DC.. sez it all. Originality.. none. They got nothing... just killing time till the shoveled dirt covers them up.
Old 07-21-20, 06:12 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Uh, okay. Out of that muddled mess, I got "sealant is just Elmer's glue" and "Berryman's." The former is absolute nonsense and having never heard of the latter, I decided to look it up. One of the bullet points on the bottle is "Great for tractor tire ballasting." Yep, sounds like some primo **** for road cycling.

Last edited by WhyFi; 07-21-20 at 06:41 AM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-21-20, 06:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
Incoherence is not to be mistaken for originality Seems as if lots of folks are happy with Orange Seal and Stans. They may have followed the instructions, used compatible products. User error can screw up any process.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-21-20, 06:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin
The guys peddling the seal-nots of today are just rebranding bulk products... Elmer's glue, et al. Likely the cost for them is bottling and packaging.. the actual seal-NOT is cheeeep. My recent 'speriments w Berryman's... LMFAO.. stuff is a complete joke otta the bottle. Too thick to flow at any at psi... sent code off bottle to the contact.. heard nothing. And even w me of all people in 'what am I doing wrong' mode.. go figure. Stuff appears JUNK.

I have dry recipes in mind.. I believe likely products applied elsewhere might work... or build off of. Accepting status quo... why? Probably main reason .. least one of them.. no good seal-nots is it voids the tube.. which means revenue AWOL.

90%+ of the elements posting see this world from a tiny window. Entertainment.. bored refugees from the primate cages of any metro zoo. Wind thru the mt cranium's.. look to Wash DC.. sez it all. Originality.. none. They got nothing... just killing time till the shoveled dirt covers them up.
Grammar: not just a bunch of rules, but also a good concept.
Old 07-21-20, 08:40 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Aladin

Stans and other sealants are just Elmer’s glue, huh? That’s a new one.

Go ahead and experiment all you like. Since you seem to know so much more than the rest of us “bored refugees from the primate cages”, I’m sure you’ll come up with a revolutionary new product in no time.

Old 07-21-20, 12:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Wait, I've been spending money on tubeless sealants all these years when I could just have filled my tires with Elmers? I can get that stuff by the gallon, on the cheap! How about wood glue? All glue is the same, right?
Old 07-22-20, 09:29 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I agree that tubeless technology isn't quite there yet for road bikes. It's usable but not exactly transparent because it's at least as much hassle as the tube it's supposed to get rid of. I can choose not to use road tubeless; but I'm not going to complain about it unless I can come up with something better. Which I can't. Throwing out "somebody oughta..." statements doesn't help advance the cause.
Old 07-22-20, 12:23 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Been using road tubeless for about a year so far, was a pain in the ass to get the tires on but once it seated and sealed it has worked perfectly. I've gotten two punctures so far which have sealed in a minute or so, had to pump a little bit of air back into the tyres.

The other main benefit was going from 75 psi down to 40 psi which smoothed out a lot of the terrible roads and losing half a pound of tubes.
Old 07-22-20, 03:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
... it's at least as much hassle as the tube it's supposed to get rid of.
That might be the case for you (have you actually given it a go?) and for others that puncture very infrequently, but absolutely not the case for many of us.