Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does A Base Layer Keep A Rider Cooler in Hot Weather

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does A Base Layer Keep A Rider Cooler in Hot Weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 09:03 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Not quite. Air being a poor conductor of heat, your skin remains close to body temp in the oven. The pot being a good conductor raises the skin temperature almost immediately. The difference in how the two situations feel is a result of the difference in skin temperature. We know the skin temps are different because for the pot there is cell damage from the high skin temperature. In air, there is no immediate damage because skin temperature remains low at least for a while.
Didn't see this before I posted my reply. But we are on the same page.
Old 07-31-20, 09:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
If a cyclist wears Rapha but nobody can see the stripe, is is still elitist?
​​​​​​You know you can buy just the stripe, right?

My cousin found some that fell off the back of the truck.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-31-20, 09:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I profess no expertise regarding thermoreceptors, so unlike others here, I won't comment where I don't have expertise.
And yet, somehow, you did.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-31-20, 09:47 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

And yet, somehow, you did.
Considering the embarrassing things you've written in this thread, it doesn't seem wise for you to be picking another fight.
Old 07-31-20, 10:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Considering the embarrassing things you've written in this thread, it doesn't seem wise for you to be picking another fight.
You mean like when I said that reducing the amount of an insulating substance with high specific heat capacity would improve cooling because you don't have to cool it, too? Lordy, however will I live that down?

Old 07-31-20, 10:13 PM
MinnMan

You mean like when I said that reducing the amount of an insulating substance with high specific heat capacity would improve cooling because you don't have to cool it, too? Lordy, however will I live that down?
That's an excellent example. The part about "you don't have to cool it down" proves that you know nothing about heat transfer.
Further, you never said anything about high specific heat capacity. That's a term I introduced to the conversation. And you failed to understand the point that the heat capacity is irrelevant to a calculation that uses diffusivities rather than conductivities.
Old 07-31-20, 10:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That's an excellent example. The part about "you don't have to cool it down" proves that you know nothing about heat transfer.
Hmmmmm. Let's see whether that's true. Does the layer of sweat on the skin stay the same temperature as the water evaporates off the surface? Or does its temperature fall?

Further, you never said anything about high specific heat capacity. That's a term I introduced to the conversation.
What do you suppose "the energy needed to change the temperature of water" meant?

And you failed to understand the point that the heat capacity is irrelevant to a calculation that uses diffusivities rather than conductivities.
Hmmm. But if someone makes the observation that wiping the sweat off his face makes his skin feel cooler, and your calculation doesn't explain why, is the flaw in the observation or the calculation? That is, If your hypothesis doesn't explain an observation, is your hypothesis actually adequate to the situation?

Old 07-31-20, 10:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Note - we are in agreement that wiping the sweat off your face isn't making you feel cooler simply because you're removing warm liquid from warm skin - i.e. it doesn't "drain the heat away". But if the observation is accurate, then what is the explanation?

Old 07-31-20, 10:51 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I did get one of those string singlets and it didn't seem to make much difference.
Until I can get a ceramic undershirt my summer cooling money stays in my pocket.
Old 07-31-20, 10:51 PM
MinnMan

Hmmmmm. Let's see whether that's true. Does the layer of sweat on the skin stay the same temperature as the water evaporates off the surface? Or does its temperature fall?

What do you suppose "the energy needed to change the temperature of water" meant?

Hmmm. But if someone makes the observation that wiping the sweat off his face makes his skin feel cooler, and your calculation doesn't explain why, is the flaw in the observation or the calculation? That is, If your hypothesis doesn't explain an observation, is your hypothesis actually adequate to the situation?
Look, this is just sad. You have no technical expertise. You cannot distinguish calculation from "belief". You think that making stuff up based on your intuition is the same as studying a topic and having quantitative mastery over it. You ridicule people who point you to rigorous sources.

I would think that it might have occurred to you that other people on this thread, and reading this thread, have a more formal background and that you might consider the shocking hypothesis that you are missing some understanding. But unfortunately, there are millions like you.
Old 07-31-20, 11:29 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

I would think that it might have occurred to you that other people on this thread, and reading this thread, have a more formal background and that you might consider the shocking hypothesis that you are missing some understanding. But unfortunately, there are millions like you.
A lot of people come here just to argue. It doesn’t really matter the topic.
Old 07-31-20, 11:36 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I can't see how this is even a discussion.
Forget the science. You don't need it.
Go for a ride on a hot day with a base layer on. Remove it mid ride and see if it is cooler.
I have always found it to be cooler without it.
Has anyone found otherwise? I am not talking about theory, but personal experience.
Anyone ever seen a Pro racing on a hot day wearing a base layer?
Likes For Dean V:
Old 08-01-20, 12:11 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
1. I submit that the only way a base layer can keep you cooler is by facilitating evaporation.
2. I further submit that only way to do that is
a. to increase the surface area over which evaporation can take place, i.e., by more efficiently diffusing moisture over the surface, or
b. by facilitating transport of moisture from the skin to the surface.

Yes, and for that reason I submit that Only wearing a wicking base layer is what cools the best. It does what you say (facilitate fast evaporation by spreading the moisture over a large surface) and without a jersey is exposed directly to the air moving over and through the garment. Of course there are many different base layers from many different garments, but from personal experience this is very effective, even to the point I have felt a bit cold when stopping for a minute.
Old 08-01-20, 12:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Dean V
I can't see how this is even a discussion.
Forget the science. You don't need it.
Go for a ride on a hot day with a base layer on. Remove it mid ride and see if it is cooler.
I have always found it to be cooler without it.
Has anyone found otherwise? I am not talking about theory, but personal experience.
Anyone ever seen a Pro racing on a hot day wearing a base layer?
That actually IS the Science. Promulgate an hypothesis, test the hypothesis. If the test doesn't disprove the hypothesis, it's likely to be right.

Old 08-01-20, 12:22 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Look, this is just sad. You have no technical expertise. You cannot distinguish calculation from "belief". You think that making stuff up based on your intuition is the same as studying a topic and having quantitative mastery over it. You ridicule people who point you to rigorous sources.

I understand that some subject experts have no ability to explain their subject to those outside their field and have to resort to "Trust me", and that's okay, I suppose. Probably their profession doesn't require it.

I asked a couple fairly simple questions, like doesn't the sweat layer drop in temperature because of the evaporation from its surface. Now, if it doesn't, then I'm curious why it doesn't, because yes, that does go against intuition. Many things in nature ARE counterintuitive, but it should be possible for a subject expert to explain WHY they are still true, without resorting to "it's too complicated, you wouldn't understand", or worse, "Trust me". Why should I trust you if you can't explain why the counterintuitive is true?

Old 08-01-20, 03:19 AM
Dean V

That actually IS the Science. Promulgate an hypothesis, test the hypothesis. If the test doesn't disprove the hypothesis, it's likely to be right.
This is a rather dubious statement.
But putting that aside how about answering the OP?
Has anyone put a base layer on under their cycling top and thought it was cooler?
If so then maybe a bit of science could be justified in explaining how this might happen (if anyone cares).
Old 08-01-20, 06:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Lookit that - we've covered the heat transference of sweating and the heat generation of pissing matches! Ya gotta love multi-tasking.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-01-20, 09:31 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Lookit that - we've covered the heat transference of sweating and the heat generation of pissing matches! Ya gotta love multi-tasking.
Do pissing matches cool you, though? And would the heat radiating off the urine compensate for the heat that you have just expelled from your body?
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 08-01-20, 09:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Do pissing matches cool you, though? And would the heat radiating off the urine compensate for the heat that you have just expelled from your body?
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel cooler already.

Old 08-01-20, 09:55 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
that actually is the science. Promulgate an hypothesis, test the hypothesis. If the test doesn't disprove the hypothesis, it's likely to be right.

lol
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-01-20, 10:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Dean V
This is a rather dubious statement.
But putting that aside how about answering the OP?
Has anyone put a base layer on under their cycling top and thought it was cooler?
If so then maybe a bit of science could be justified in explaining how this might happen (if anyone cares).
Really? Because that's how we do science. You think something might be true so you test it, and if you disprove it, it wasn't true. If you don't, it may be true.

The answer to the question is, no, I haven't put on a base layer in hot weather. I find that on climbs on hot days, opening the zipper on my jersey as far as it will open cools me, so I don't think another layer would make me feel cooler.

Old 08-01-20, 10:09 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Pissing has no effect on body temp, except to decrease your thermal mass.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-01-20, 11:30 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Not quite. Air being a poor conductor of heat, your skin remains close to body temp in the oven. The pot being a good conductor raises the skin temperature almost immediately. The difference in how the two situations feel is a result of the difference in skin temperature. We know the skin temps are different because for the pot there is cell damage from the high skin temperature. In air, there is no immediate damage because skin temperature remains low at least for a while.
I found this to be a good primer on the subject: HEAT TRANSFER AND CUTANEOUS SENSIBILITY Full PDF.

Your original assertion was that one cannot feel heat transfer from the skin. I think this is obviously untrue, both by inspection and the above research.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 08-01-20 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-01-20, 11:35 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
This isn't wholly true. I profess no expertise regarding thermoreceptors, so unlike others here, I won't comment where I don't have expertise. But regarding your oven analogy, whereas it is true that the temperature of the air and the temperature of the hot pot are the same, the nerves are not feeling the temperature of the external world. They are feeling the temperature at the nerve ending, inside your skin. The reason that you feel the greater signal from the pot is this case results in a larger increase in the temperature of the nerve ending - by the more rapid process of conduction from the steel handle.

Additionally, the process of heating from the hot oven air is still conduction, not convection. Convection requires that the air be in motion, but even if the air is stationary, you will feel the heating effect of the air. the reason you feel less of an effect is the vast difference in thermal conductivities of the two materials - air versus steel.

Additionally, for materials with the same thermal diffusivity, convection is MORE efficient at heat transfer than conduction. Here, its the difference in thermal properties between the materials that matters, not the heat transfer mechanism

Note that if you juxtapose two objects at a different temperature with one another (i.e, your cool hand and hot oven air, or your cool hand and hot pot handle), the instantaneous temperature at the interface at time = 0 is always half the difference (T1+T2)/2. So your hand does not feel the the exterior temperature instantaneously. In the case of contact with an excellent conductor, this changes - FAST.
See post 123.
Old 08-01-20, 01:51 PM
Dean V

This is dubious because it doesn't say anything about how effective or how well formulated the test was.
Red bikes are fastest.
Everyone knows it and there is a guy in our club who is the fastest and he is on a red bike.
So I raced some blue bikes, black, and green.
They were all the same.
Therefore according to your statement red bikes are most likely the fastest!
Not disproving something is a long long way from proving it to be right.
Thankfully our court system doesn't work that way and neither does any good scientist.

Last edited by Dean V; 08-01-20 at 02:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.