Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Running 2 different ratios

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 04:28 PM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I play bike polo on a single speed bike. I want to ride to the polo courts in one gearing and then switch to another gearing to play, however I also want a range of available gears.

My wheel currently has a 17 tooth freewheel on it and I am adding a 22 tooth to the other side. I have purchased two chainrings and a bash guard. I am going to install Raceface atlas cranks and use the availiable 5mm of chainline adjustment to place the center of the two chain rings dead on with my freewheels, which will be pushed out from center an equal amount with spacers.

The chainrings are narrow wides so I am hoping that fact, the bashguard and the close spacing will allow me to hold the chain.

IF I pull all this off I will hopefully be able to run 4 different single speed setups depending on conditions all with the same length chain. I am guessing that with the extra long horizontal dropouts that I can run all 4 ratios with the same 42 link chain.

Am I crazy?

Gearing Ratio Chain Length
22/30 1.4 42
17/30 1.8 41
22/34 1.6 43
17/34 2 42
Old 10-06-15, 04:56 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Maybe. I have a buddie that triple-dingled his SS mountain bike with vertical dropouts.
Old 10-06-15, 05:24 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
they double dingled cogs on TDF before deraileurs were allowed, go for it and let us know how it works out
Old 10-06-15, 05:58 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Maybe. I have a buddie that triple-dingled his SS mountain bike with vertical dropouts.
Wouldn't that be called a "tringle" ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 10-06-15, 10:07 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Wouldn't that be called a "tringle" ?
If I want nobody to know what I was referring to.
Old 10-08-15, 08:33 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only issues (other than if the dropouts aren't long enough for all the options) might be the tire clearance for the 22/34 and the rear brake position might need fiddling which would be pretty annoying.

I've just run dingle/dixed setups with 2 teeth differences. e.g. 39/18 and 41/16 on the same bike works well for me - rear wheel stays in the same place, so no difference in tire clearance (this is used as a SSCX) or brake position. I'd be okay with another tooth difference though I think e.g. 42/16 as well. On a dixed obviously you probably won't care about a rear brake.
Old 10-12-15, 09:36 AM
cmc4130

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd definitely be interested in seeing some pics of a two-speed fixed gear setup. I was thinking the way to do it might involve having a frame with long horizontal dropouts, so you could move the wheel a lot to adjust the chain tension. You could potentially switch from a very spinny gear for tricks, to a normal riding-across-town gear.
Old 10-12-15, 11:32 AM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont have a rear brake. It is freewheel. The parts come this week. Updates coming.
Old 10-12-15, 05:03 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bonner1040
I play bike polo on a single speed bike. I want to ride to the polo courts in one gearing and then switch to another gearing to play, however I also want a range of available gears.

My wheel currently has a 17 tooth freewheel on it and I am adding a 22 tooth to the other side. I have purchased two chainrings and a bash guard. I am going to install Raceface atlas cranks and use the availiable 5mm of chainline adjustment to place the center of the two chain rings dead on with my freewheels, which will be pushed out from center an equal amount with spacers.

The chainrings are narrow wides so I am hoping that fact, the bashguard and the close spacing will allow me to hold the chain.

IF I pull all this off I will hopefully be able to run 4 different single speed setups depending on conditions all with the same length chain. I am guessing that with the extra long horizontal dropouts that I can run all 4 ratios with the same 42 link chain.

Am I crazy?

Gearing Ratio Chain Length
22/30 1.4 42
17/30 1.8 41
22/34 1.6 43
17/34 2 42
i've done pretty much the same thing on one of my SS's now for about five years. it works well for me.

difference is that i put two cogs on a freehub rear hub and two chainrings. there was no compromise WRT chainline on two of the four combinations. when i cross chained, and i rarely had reason to do it, there was a bit of noise.

BTW, no bashguard, and common kmc chain and 3/32 cogs and chainrings. bike is an old 1988 stumpjumper with horizontal dropouts.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 10-12-15 at 05:08 PM.