Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling possible ideal model for public uprise against all violence?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-20-16, 10:49 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

My hunch is that cycling will get over the hump into total public acceptance and protection by invoking zero "specialness" but by an overwhelming assertion that "bikers are people too."

This is part of the "normalizing of the bike" campaign concept. ...That we get our best gains and potential from behaving just like regular folks. The more outlandish we appear and if we ask for special handling then we isolate ourselves.

Bad drivers hit bikers but they also hit everyone else. The overwhelming campaign should be against bad driving so that all road users are better off.

And the bare and obvious humanity of bikers might be an ideal format for such a public outcry against "motor privilege."

What would happen if hundreds of bikers and also thousands of people converged every day on every capitol. Or maybe once a week. Demanding better driving, a shunning of all macho driving, a new valuing of human life on roadways. Yeah, it would take some work but it might all be over sooner than we think.

There is a sub-current in the USA that thinks it's OK to not pay attention and also to menace the vulnerable.

What could be achieved by a month of national protests with millions of all kinds of folks?

First, maybe we could get vulnerable user laws passed everywhere. But also there might be trickle-out benefits for everyone.

It's possible even that negative/negligent acting out against all those who are vulnerable could be reduced. Even beyond car driving.

Now, to do that violence might need to be understood better: why does it happen? Each country has its own reasons for its own expression of violence. We might need to focus in on the basics of the American style a bit better. ...I assume it is directly related to the behavior of our leadership or anyone in a position of guiding our dominant cultural styles.
Old 06-21-16, 01:57 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I like this idea.
Old 06-21-16, 06:22 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'll not be claiming to be part of some "vulnerable user" protected class. I survived and have remained relatively undamaged all these years by being just a normal user of the road, following the same rules as the other users.

I got no problem addressing the deficiencies of all users of the road that endanger other users of the road...but I won't be claiming membership in some special protected class to do so.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-21-16, 07:17 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
My hunch is that cycling will get over the hump into total public acceptance and protection by.............
I saw a commercial the other day for an awesome flashlight. The only problem is... 99% of most people's need for a flashlight has been replaced by their phones. The new flashlight.... solves a 1995 problem.

Bicycles (and by extension bicycling) is a very mature technology. I'd say the bike was accepted (or normalized) by the public more than 100 years ago. Bicycling popularity has fallen slightly in the past few years. That happens. Cycling popularity has always had it's ups and downs. Cycling popularity is as much fashion driven as anything else. Blaming (or crediting) motorists for cycling fashion trends... appears to me... to be a bit over-the-top.

The caged chicken that lays our eggs, the family dog, parents, spouse's, children.... all have limited (and different) attention spans. Harsh laws or violent protests will not effect or alter the construction of our brains (chickens and dogs will never be able to drive) and most motorist will never be excellent drivers. In a couple decades our cars will automatically navigate us from here-to-there and traffic safety will greatly improve (even for cyclist).

Meanwhile... I wouldn't put any faith in a fearful over-reaction to the normal risks involved in being a mortal being. There is absolutely no chance that a cyclist won't die... and a 100% chance that (even if they quit cycling) they will die. And NOTHING can be done to change that.

Maybe... you might find comfort... if you do the math and calculate how many days, hours, minutes of life is lost per cyclist... because of cycling. I am sure that the stats show that the type of fitness obtained by cycling does far more to increase longevity than accidents do to decrease life expectancy.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 06-21-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 07:47 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've long thought the push for cyclist safety should be far more on improving everyone's overall driving skills than any particular importance on cyclist's rights. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I'd be willing to bet far more accidents happen by someone who holds no ill-will towards cyclists and lapsed in their judgement, as they do many times on a daily basis, than people who actively hold a grudge and harass cyclists.

In any case, better driving makes EVERYONE safer: pedestrians, cyclists, motorcycles, and other vehicles.

The only problem with that? No one thinks THEY are a bad driver. No one wants to force more training on THEMSELVES. No one wants to have their license renewal made harder, or have to go with the testing that such a solution would inevitably require.
Old 06-21-16, 10:48 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
As soon as I read this thread's title I knew who its author must be. I don't know... transportation cyclists as a protected class. What about women as a protected class? Or children? You cannot legislate decency! What can be done is to do something about the amount of despair, anger, frustration and inequality that exists. When/if that is done there won't be any need to pass laws for the protection of cyclists. Am I misinformed? Are there not presently laws against running down cyclists? No? Well, if no, then that should change, but I'm almost certain that it is not presently legal to run over a cyclist (or pedestrian) for any reason. Seems to work well enough. I mean cyclists were hit and killed last year... several hundred? Sad, but not IMO indicative of any need for a campaign to humanize cyclists.
Old 06-21-16, 11:03 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
My hunch is that cycling will get over the hump into total public acceptance and protection by invoking zero "specialness" but by an overwhelming assertion that "bikers are people too."

This is part of the "normalizing of the bike" campaign concept. ...That we get our best gains and potential from behaving just like regular folks. The more outlandish we appear and if we ask for special handling then we isolate ourselves.

Bad drivers hit bikers but they also hit everyone else. The overwhelming campaign should be against bad driving so that all road users are better off.

What would happen if hundreds of bikers and also thousands of people converged every day on every capitol. Or maybe once a week. Demanding better driving, a shunning of all macho driving, a new valuing of human life on roadways. Yeah, it would take some work but it might all be over sooner than we think.

What could be achieved by a month of national protests with millions of all kinds of folks?
So far, so good...

And the bare and obvious humanity of bikers might be an ideal format for such a public outcry against "motor privilege."

There is a sub-current in the USA that thinks it's OK to not pay attention and also to menace the vulnerable.

First, maybe we could get vulnerable user laws passed everywhere. But also there might be trickle-out benefits for everyone.

It's possible even that negative/negligent acting out against all those who are vulnerable could be reduced. Even beyond car driving.
...and then it goes off the rails and straight to...

[/QUOTE]Now, to do that violence might need to be understood better: why does it happen? Each country has its own reasons for its own expression of violence. We might need to focus in on the basics of the American style a bit better. ...I assume it is directly related to the behavior of our leadership or anyone in a position of guiding our dominant cultural styles.[/QUOTE]

Pie in the sky. "First, we need to educate people..." = doomed to fail.

The first group of quotes is inclusive, get stuff done, wake people up, and enact sensible regulation kind of reasoning and action. Pass more severe negligent and distracted driving laws, with harsher penalties, and fund enforcement. Not just for vulnerable road users, but for all road users and those impacted by them.

The second group of quotes is divisive, either subtly or outright. Victim mentality. Us v. them, and counterproductive to a more cohesive, less violent culture.
Old 06-21-16, 09:12 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I'll not be claiming to be part of some "vulnerable user" protected class. I survived and have remained relatively undamaged all these years by being just a normal user of the road, following the same rules as the other users.

I got no problem addressing the deficiencies of all users of the road that endanger other users of the road...but I won't be claiming membership in some special protected class to do so.
I don't see it as proclaiming membership to a given class. As to ability, or inability. But as to equal rights of all road users.
Old 06-22-16, 10:15 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,531 Posts

+1 and welcome back chipcom

Old 06-22-16, 10:47 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts

We've got news for you son, you ain't normal.

How come no one has mentioned Critical Mass yet? They've been taking to the streets for this issue for years.
Old 06-22-16, 10:54 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris0516
I like this idea.
There is no doubt in my mind that JeffOYB and Chris 0516 are twin brothers separated at birth by some unusual circumstance. Perhaps one of the doctors or the person responsible for filling out the birth certificate was hit and killed while riding a bicycle?...
Old 06-22-16, 01:44 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,531 Posts
OP is dreaming at best

No, cycling is not the public model to rise against all violence and no "uprising" is not going to fix anything.

IMHO:

The biggest single issue on the roads is self centered, narcisstic, I am special behavior...ie. my text is more important then driving safe, it is ok for me to run a red light because: I can make a better judgement call than any one else, I am in a hurry, I am on a bike, etc., and so on

Vigorous enforcement of traffic laws for all road users would help hugely for all users including cyclists. Problem is there are a lot more road users than LEO and in many areas where Law enforcement is limited, other areas like crimes against persons and gang reduction take priority

The only way to really get more cyclists on the road is to make it more convenient to ride than drive for normal everyday activies.

What is convenient? less hassle, Measurable less expense, perceived safety

How to get there: Most would take government regulation changes, like requiring companies to charge drivers for parking at work, massively higher gas prices, not requiring parking for new businesses, more, better, safer, and covered bike parking, requriing schools to encourage students to bike, and so on.

How to get there practically: Use your bike for everyday errands, use your bike for commutes (if you only have a super good road bike....time for N+1...get a bike for errnads and commutting) help your neighbors and co workers ride, support local road diets and bike infrastructure

The more riders, the more visibility and voters, which leads to more goverment attention and action. Repeat cycle

Old 06-22-16, 02:46 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

OP is dreaming at best

No, cycling is not the public model to rise against all violence and no "uprising" is not going to fix anything.

IMHO:

The biggest single issue on the roads is self centered, narcisstic, I am special behavior...ie. my text is more important then driving safe, it is ok for me to run a red light because: I can make a better judgement call than any one else, I am in a hurry, I am on a bike, etc., and so on

Vigorous enforcement of traffic laws for all road users would help hugely for all users including cyclists. Problem is there are a lot more road users than LEO and in many areas where Law enforcement is limited, other areas like crimes against persons and gang reduction take priority

The only way to really get more cyclists on the road is to make it more convenient to ride than drive for normal everyday activies. (...)
I disagree. (But I agree that I'm dreaming -- and that's what works.)

Uprisings often have large effect. Social media era increasing this.

Enforcement is reactive and, though helpful, is not a dominant mover. Culture is the main mover.

Obviously impt to emphasize that biking has functional and legal attributes of both vehicle and pedestrian -- one aspect of its superiority. So no need to apologize for bikers running reds unless you're in an area where peds are castigated equally for that. (Urban areas of Calif possibly such a place.) Ask any ped: there are several flavors of red-running. The only problematic one is where folks step out in front of a car to some extent.

Culture leads much more than convenience.

Last edited by JeffOYB; 06-22-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 07:43 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This would be good in an ideal world, but probably wont happen. Most people just cant see the light of how good cycling is and is for them.

I am a good example if I do say so myself of what cycling can do for a person. I will be 78 this year, and have never been in a hospital or had an operation. Yes I know I have been blessed with good health, but I still maintain that my bike and trike are my fountain of youth machines. Almost all my friends that are the same age or maybe up to 10 years younger are in far worse shape than I am. Yet-----------------they pretty much snicker at my bike riding. They think I am a nut when I tell them that I pretty much ride approx 30 miles every other day weather permitting.

IMO all of the big cities should bar auto traffic in the down town areas. Wether it would be an influence on violence is up for debate.
Old 06-22-16, 08:07 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Jeff may be dreaming, but it's a positive dream, and that's where good things start. Keep dreaming, Jeff, and maybe you can dream something into reality.
Old 06-23-16, 09:34 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts

AMEN! I thought i'd never see it. Just what America needs...another "vulnerable" group!

And in any case cyclists are not "vulnerable users." They are simply users of the roadway who have, by choice and fully informed consent, chosen to enter the roadway and lanes of traffic with vehicles much bigger than themselves. Furthermore they are not contained within the vehicle (CAGERS, as the lackey logo goes) but ride on top of it. They have no seat belts, restraining devices, air bags, or any of the other wonderful accoutrements which have inflated (no pun intended) the size, weight, and costs of automobiles in recent decades (which was their hidden agenda all along) while also improving safety.

Bicycles, like motorcycles and every other vehicle, have advantages (mobility, lower cost, etc) and disadvantages (poor protection against weather, poor signaling mechanisms, etc). Get over it.
Old 06-23-16, 11:24 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
My pepper-spray stock value would go up fo sho.
Old 06-24-16, 11:14 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
We've got news for you son, you ain't normal.

Nope, but it's good to see you again, old friend.