Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano chains, again

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano chains, again

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 09:40 AM
shopco43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Shimano chains, again

Referencing my post yesterday regarding vintage (I guess) Shimano chains, does anyone know the difference between the Dura-Ace 7800 chain and the 7801? Are they interchangeable?

I have so far been unable to contact Shimano.
Old 02-10-20, 10:14 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, both should be functionally the same.
Old 02-10-20, 10:26 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,497 Posts
from shimano;

7800;
  • Hyperglide (HG) series 10-speed compatible chain, recommended for Dura-Ace drivetrains
  • HG technology has chamfered inner plates to optimise shifting performance on HG sprockets
  • Durability is assured through a chromising treatment on link pins, and the heat treatment of rollers, pins, and plates
  • Mushrooming of the pins gives unsurpassed side-plate retention, enabling the chain to far exceed the BS/ISO standard for breaking force
  • 5.88 mm chain width, optimised for 10-speedSuper Narrow HG drivetrains
  • Zinc-alloy silver finish offers the longest lasting and best resistance to corrosion
  • 114 links, 280 grams/ 7801;
  • HG technology has chamfered inner plates to optimise shifting performance on HG sprockets
  • Durability is assured through a chromising treatment on link pins, and the heat treatment of rollers, pins, and plates
  • Mushrooming of the pins gives unsurpassed side-plate retention, enabling the chain to far exceed the BS/ISO standard for breaking force
  • Optimised for 10-speedSuper Narrow HG drivetrains
  • Zinc-alloy silver finish offers the longest lasting and best resistance to corrosion
  • Chain Width: 5.88mm
  • Links: 114
  • Weight: 280g
Old 02-10-20, 10:45 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Shimano started issuing an 01 designation at some point and never announced why they changed. I know there were reported issues of sideplates cracking on some of the Ultegra and Dura-Ace chains of the 6700 and 7900 series which were later changed to 6701 and 7901 and obviously 7801's. I just have to guess that these were improved versions but again, just guessing. My neighbor switched his 6700 drivetrain to the KMC 10.93 and never noticed any difference at all in performance and gets the same mileage as the Shimano. You would also be fine with a 6701 Ultegra Chain to save some cash. Dura-Ace is just more $$ for only a very slight weight loss and no performance improvement. I would probably avoid any of the old "00" designated chains if you see any for sale.
Old 02-10-20, 08:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Not just the chain model number changed but, IIRC, the assembly pin did too. I generally don't bother with the highest grade as all chains of the same "family" share most of the important aspects (material, dimensions, shape) and only differ with cosmetic coatings or minimal weight loss. Having said that I do like the silver finishes, usually not found on the base level. Andy