Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It pays to deal with a reputable LBS

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-10-20, 03:08 PM
flacplnj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

I purchased a 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL6. Upon arrival the LBS called to inform me when they unpacked the bike that there were numerous scratches on the top bar. I made the trip to my LBS to see the sad news for myself. You know bikes are eventually going to get scratches but as the owner you want to be the one responsible.

Everyone here knows the inventory situation on new bike inventory there just aren't many options right now. This was the last and only Checkpoint SL6 available other than a Checkpoint SL7 with the single front ring that the factory had in stock, with no more available to be allocated until mid to late November.
I asked my LBS to contact Trek and see if they would sell the SL6 for the price of an SL5. at 4;15 today I was given the news they authorized the deal. Hallelujah!
It is a bitter sweet situation, but $900.00 saved.That money is a good start for the Di2 upgrade on my SL6 scheduled for August, Hopefully those parts won't be delayed.

Now I will have to work on trying to lessen the visibility of scratches.They aren't terrible They seem to mostly be in the clear coat. I will get a better look when I pick up the bike next week. I will probably try some polish and or light rubbing compound. I have used candle wax, clear nail polish and toothpaste in the past, but those are just temporary; Nail polish last the longest it is just hard to blend in.

A non reputable LBS might have attempted to cover up the damage in hopes that the customer wouldn't notice it. When you find a shop you can trust it pays to stay with them.
I will say that the blue smoke color in person is great looking. I can't wait to rider her.
Likes For flacplnj:
Old 07-10-20, 08:34 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Congratulations on a fine bike! And a fantastic deal.
Old 07-11-20, 04:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
You might investigate having a graphic you like done in the vinyl wrap they use for cars. Maybe $50?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-11-20, 07:47 AM
flacplnj

That's a great idea, I will check into that. Thank you
Old 07-11-20, 09:41 AM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I used this sticker to cover a top tube scratch. My grand kids are into pirates...

https://www.vcgraphix.com/collection...l-icon-10-pack
Old 07-11-20, 11:25 AM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
See if there is touch up paint for the bike, you may even be able to find finger nail polish that is the right color, I did that for my yellow C-Dale and the match is near perfect.

1. sand the scratches with 400 grit wet paper.
2. Put on lots of touch up on the scratches. Don't skimp.
3. Let the paint dry thoroughly, sand again with 400 grit, then repeat.
4 Progressive abrasives, go to 800, 1200, 2000.
5. Finish with rubbing compound, polishing compound and wax.

Guaranteed perfect repair.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1

Last edited by San Rensho; 07-11-20 at 11:29 AM. Reason: apparently, "guber" with two o letter is verboten, even though it is a technical term to "slather on" but apparently it is also a derogatory term for a knuckle dragger.
Old 07-11-20, 12:29 PM
flacplnj

If it was one small scratch that will work. The situation I have is the entire top bar is scratched. When I pick up the bike next week I will evaluate it then. I believe from what I saw in the store that the scratches are in the clear coat only and not in the paint layer. At least that was what my finger nail was telling me. The light at the shop wasn't the greatest.

I own a Fuji Platinum HVLP spray system.,and have the capabilities to correct the problem . My concern is the warranty on the carbon frame. If I blow new clear coat on the top tube and down the road the frame fails (God forbid), if they catch it, no warranty. Trek is very specific about painting their frames voids the warranty. For me that would be a $2000.00 hit. Even if I had the paint number on the clear coat they use it is still a risk.
As it stands now I hope to be able to compound it out and or as another suggested cover it up with a vinyl decal. The verdict is still out, but I do appreciated everyone's input and ideas. Sharing ideas is what it is all about.
I hope to post a picture or two once I have the bike. Maybe a before and after.
Old 07-11-20, 01:11 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by flacplnj
I purchased a 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL6. Upon arrival the LBS called to inform me when they unpacked the bike that there were numerous scratches on the top bar. I made the trip to my LBS to see the sad news for myself. You know bikes are eventually going to get scratches but as the owner you want to be the one responsible.

Everyone here knows the inventory situation on new bike inventory there just aren't many options right now. This was the last and only Checkpoint SL6 available other than a Checkpoint SL7 with the single front ring that the factory had in stock, with no more available to be allocated until mid to late November.
I asked my LBS to contact Trek and see if they would sell the SL6 for the price of an SL5. at 4;15 today I was given the news they authorized the deal. Hallelujah!
It is a bitter sweet situation, but $900.00 saved.That money is a good start for the Di2 upgrade on my SL6 scheduled for August, Hopefully those parts won't be delayed.

Now I will have to work on trying to lessen the visibility of scratches.They aren't terrible They seem to mostly be in the clear coat. I will get a better look when I pick up the bike next week. I will probably try some polish and or light rubbing compound. I have used candle wax, clear nail polish and toothpaste in the past, but those are just temporary; Nail polish last the longest it is just hard to blend in.

A non reputable LBS might have attempted to cover up the damage in hopes that the customer wouldn't notice it. When you find a shop you can trust it pays to stay with them.
I will say that the blue smoke color in person is great looking. I can't wait to rider her.
I wouldn't start with a polish. Wax is enough to get most scratches off without taking off too much of the clear cost.

I would also HIGHLY advise against using toothpaste. It is not very effective and will absolutely damage the clear coat around the scratch. It's just far too gritty, which results in poor scratch removing properties and marring.

If wax doesn't work, try polish or a quality scratch-removal product.

Worst case scenario, just strip it down to the frame and bring it to a body shop. The $900 you saved will pay for a very high quality paint job... Better than factory.

​​​​​
Old 07-14-20, 03:05 PM
flacplnj

I nave read all the forum rules and regs is there a special format to post pictures?
Old 07-15-20, 12:50 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by flacplnj
I nave read all the forum rules and regs is there a special format to post pictures?
Ten posts and you can show us all your pics. So, how's it going?
Old 07-15-20, 04:07 PM
flacplnj

Originally Posted by Korina
Ten posts and you can show us all your pics. So, how's it going?
Better than expected. That should be 10 post. I will attempt to post pictures, again.
Likes For flacplnj:
Old 07-17-20, 05:37 PM
flacplnj

Is there I time limit on compiling a post? I have tried numerous times to post images with a post only to have it deleted..
Old 07-17-20, 05:40 PM
flacplnj

I'm not giving up, but this site is super frustrating!!!
Old 07-17-20, 06:02 PM
flacplnj

I picked up my bike Tuesday. I rode it a total of 132 miles as of today. The bike has performed flawlessly. I have never owned a carbon frame bike and from what I have seen I will never own anything but carbon.
The ride is exemplary. The Shimano 810 did not disappoint with its crisp shifting. The Brooks saddle has always been my go to and it also did not fail. The handing was good,but not ground breaking.
The blue smoke paint was stellar. I hope Trek Keeps this color around.My LBS did a fantastic ob of removing the scratches.
The bike is currently in the shop for a stem change. When I get it back I will take a picture of the bars. I double wrapped it with American Flag bar tape in honor of a brother Ranger that was killed by a drunk driver.
Its hard to comprehend his demise to be associated with such senselessness, I will post more later. Enjoy your ride.
Likes For flacplnj:
Old 07-17-20, 06:13 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
so sorry about your brother thanks for his service
Old 07-17-20, 06:14 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
$900 is sweet reparations for this bike, especially during our pandemic times. I wouldn't worry about touching it up, I'd just smile every time I looked down at the top tube and reminded myself that I saved $900. You got a great deal on a Scratch n' Dent, except it's only Scratches, no Dents.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 02-07-21, 07:57 PM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
How’s the Checkpoint treating you these days? Are you riding it much this wet and messy winter? (I assume you’re from NJ, based on your username...). I just got an SL7 and am keen to start riding in the NYC metro area - currently with LBS getting a clear wrap and power meter put on. Super stoked!
Old 02-07-21, 10:30 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Ok......tape off ends, rattle can your color if choice..live life
Old 02-08-21, 03:02 AM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Looks like s/he hasn’t logged in since November. We may not see them again till the spring.
Old 02-08-21, 06:22 AM
ARider2

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I see this thread is several months old but I want to congratulate the OP for finding a great bicycle, but even more for finding an LBS that he can trust! This thread highlights one of the many advantages to buying from a LBS versus buying on the internet. If the OP had bought on the internet he would not have had such an easy time of resolving the problem and it likely would have included more than a few emails, phone calls, shipping the bike back and forth, etc. I find it is really important to trust your LBS (or any repairmen for that matter) because if you don't trust them it is time to move on to a new one.
Likes For ARider2: