Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Maintenance Frequency

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Maintenance Frequency

Old 08-04-20, 01:42 PM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Maintenance Frequency

This bike is the best thing that ever happened to me. Last time I had bike before this was 40 years ago, in college. I cannot believe how fast this bike goes, even with me on it.

I am wondering if you can tell me if the way I am going about mainenance sounds right. I just found out I am behind a few things, I think, not sure.

My 2009 Madone 5.2 WSD arrived in excellent condition from a few states away after a great deal on ebay ($700). Since then, I have recorded 2,200 miles on Strava, which probably captured about 2/3rds of the miles. so call it 3,000. I recently replaced the cables, cassette, and chain. I have fresh set of brake pads to put on, the ones I am running now still have a little live. I have new tires. I keep the chain lubed. I just ordered paraffin which I am going to mix with teflon powder. I just watched a video of a guy who seems credible, who says, paraffin and teflon will provide a 9,000 miles lifespan of a chain and 27,000 miles on the cassette and cranks.

I just saw that the "hubs" and bottom bracket should "repacked" every 500-1000 miles. I am confused about that. I understand the hub on the rear wheel. I had no idea it needs such frequent attention. My impression is the bearings in the front wheel pretty much can be left alone. The wheels are aluminum Bontrager Race Lite. Regarding the bearing in in the bottom bracket, I thought they are sealed. Does the bottom bracket need to come apart every 500 miles?

The only problem I see is I think the left side crank is too far on the shaft, creating some unnecessary friction. I know it is bad to have side to side motion in the crank, but I am going to see if I can loosen it slightly. I have to get one of those special shimano tools for undoing preload cap.
Old 08-04-20, 02:11 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Repacking hubs and BB every 500-1000 is nuts. Maybe do it when you first got the bike (you have no idea how well the previous owner maintained the bike). After that, once a year would be good if your bike sees a lot of rain - every couple of years otherwise. Chances are your BB is a cartridge, which is essentially maintenance-free - I pull my Chorus BB every few (3-4) years just to ensure that there's a little grease on the threads. I probably had ~40,000 miles on it before the flange cracked, but the cartridge itself was still fine. Cartridge BB maintenance comprises "replace it when it starts feeling rough"

Last edited by Litespud; 08-04-20 at 02:15 PM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-04-20, 02:45 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
For me, hub and headset twice a year (British weather= wet in the summer and wet and salty during the winter). Hollowtect cranks, remove twice a year to check axle, clean and refit. Same with jockey wheels. The only parts on my bikes that get 'regular' attention are the chain, cassette, chainrings and mechs...involving a bucket, water, sponge, kitchen detergent and Finish Line Cross Country Wet Lubricant.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 08-04-20, 03:37 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen

I just saw that the "hubs" and bottom bracket should "repacked" every 500-1000 miles. I am confused about that. I understand the hub on the rear wheel. I had no idea it needs such frequent attention. My impression is the bearings in the front wheel pretty much can be left alone. The wheels are aluminum Bontrager Race Lite. Regarding the bearing in in the bottom bracket, I thought they are sealed. Does the bottom bracket need to come apart every 500 miles?

The only problem I see is I think the left side crank is too far on the shaft, creating some unnecessary friction. I know it is bad to have side to side motion in the crank, but I am going to see if I can loosen it slightly. I have to get one of those special shimano tools for undoing preload cap.
None of this sounds normal to me. Obviously I can't physically examine your bike, but I recommend that you take it to your local bike shop. If you have a Trek dealer in your area, you might take it there. I say that just to avoid any brand bias that a local shop could have. A Trek dealer won't be able to simply talk trash about your bike, just because of the brand.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-04-20, 03:43 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
There's no need to change the BB & headset bearings more than every few years.
I've got a 2014 Domane with ~35,000 miles on it.
I take good care of it, but it is ridden in the rain at times.
I'm on my 2nd set of BB bearings, first set lasted 22,500 miles.
I'm still on my first set of headset bearings, I've taken them out, cleaned & re-greased twice.

I do make sure that I use a blower to clear out any water from the headset & BB area after washing or a rain ride.
Likes For Dancing Skeleton:
Old 08-04-20, 03:51 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22505 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
You are overdoing it. All you needed to change was the chain. BB lasts like 40k miles. Hubs too. Cassette and cables like 15k miles.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-04-20, 05:24 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton

I do make sure that I use a blower to clear out any water from the headset & BB area after washing or a rain ride.
Using a compressor?
Old 08-04-20, 05:46 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Hubs and BB run them until you have a issue or recognize a problem, unless you ride in extreme conditions, which most do not.

If you just feel froggy about servicing hubs and BB bearings, then once a year after the riding season slows down. These items are usually sealed well and unless you notice seeping and an obvious issue or grit like grinding, they are usually fine in my experience. But to each their own on this matter obviously.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 08-04-20, 05:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
It all depends in your riding conditions. If it's very dusty and/or you ride in the rain then you need to service it sooner.

I finally replaced the bottom bracket bearings after 4 years and the headset were fine and just greased. I've yet to service the wheel bearings. I have 26,000 miles on the chainrings and cassette, but I do change the chain when it measures .5 on the Park tool. Brake pads are replaced when the cleanout grooves are almost gone. Tires... They usually get cutup before they wearout. Cables... I don't ride in the rain and have Sram eTap so only brake cables.

You need to find your own intervals to do maint.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-04-20, 07:00 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
The repacking advice goes back to a day when we had user serviceable bearings, and no seals. In the old days you disassembled your headset, bb and hubs, cleaned them and repacked them.

Today, most people just run their sealed cartridge bearings till they drop then replace the cartridge bearings. Sealed bearing headset might need replaced once in your lifetime. BB once every 15-20 thousand miles. Hub bearings, I don’t know because I don’t have any sealed hubs with over 30,000 miles.

Bike bearings just don’t need maintenance lik they used to. Easies, and if you pay a shop for maintenance,certainly the long run cheapest, is run them till they drop and replace
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 08-04-20, 07:02 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Replacing/repacking any of the bearing systems (headset, BB, hubs) should be either once a year or as-needed depending on mileage and riding conditions. If your bearing system has no play and is rolling smoothly, then it likely does not need any service. If it feels "crunchy," has some noticeable resistance to movement, or has any play that lets your steerer/spindle/axle move around, then it needs to be serviced. I'm pretty sure Park Tool has some instructions on how to properly inspect all of your bearings, but that's the gist of it.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-04-20, 08:09 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I like to drop the fork every year just for a good look-see. Have several years on the OEM headset and the bearings seem fine. I also pull the caliber brakes for a good cleaning. I replaced internal cables ONCE and won't do it again unless I have trouble. (At least the FD cable took me a couple days to get in.) I do pull cranks now and then for deep cleaning. I also have WM screw together BB30 and removing the cups is simple (haven't touched the bearings). I have in the past removed seals from cartridge bearings, but I think it's not worth it if you can get the bearing out easily and replace. That's what I've done on hubs.

scott s.
Old 08-05-20, 12:01 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Keep an eye on the rims, as they tend to crack at the spoke nipples on those wheels.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-05-20, 08:03 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The repacking advice goes back to a day when we had user serviceable bearings, and no seals. In the old days you disassembled your headset, bb and hubs, cleaned them and repacked them.

Today, most people just run their sealed cartridge bearings till they drop then replace the cartridge bearings. Sealed bearing headset might need replaced once in your lifetime. BB once every 15-20 thousand miles. Hub bearings, I don’t know because I don’t have any sealed hubs with over 30,000 miles.

Bike bearings just don’t need maintenance lik they used to. Easies, and if you pay a shop for maintenance,certainly the long run cheapest, is run them till they drop and replace
This.

On two bikes, I've replaced the lower headset bearings. One just felt rough and the other literally fell apart - I pull the bikes apart every year and check everything. Upper bearing was fine in both cases. For BBs, I've had to replace my BB30 bearings a few times over the years. That is not uncommon as the design kind of leads to bearings wearing faster. Also, one set was ceramic, and it only lasted about 6 months before it started feeling rough.

As for jockey wheels, I've had the plastic crack before the bearings go. Replacing with aluminum ones solved the problem.

Regarding wheels, the only set I've had issue with is a DA7600 track wheelset, which still uses loose bearings and cones. It's also a 30-year-old design. Mavic freehubs sometimes start squeeling, but that just means they need to be lubed.
Old 08-07-20, 09:33 PM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
It all depends in your riding conditions. If it's very dusty and/or you ride in the rain then you need to service it sooner.

I finally replaced the bottom bracket bearings after 4 years and the headset were fine and just greased. I've yet to service the wheel bearings. I have 26,000 miles on the chainrings and cassette, but I do change the chain when it measures .5 on the Park tool. Brake pads are replaced when the cleanout grooves are almost gone. Tires... They usually get cutup before they wearout. Cables... I don't ride in the rain and have Sram eTap so only brake cables.

You need to find your own intervals to do maint.
I ride in the rain every few weeks. I had no idea that rain is an issue for bicycles.
Old 08-07-20, 09:37 PM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Keep an eye on the rims, as they tend to crack at the spoke nipples on those wheels.
I really appreciate that warning, since I had no idea of that issue.
Old 08-07-20, 10:15 PM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
All the comments in this thread are more helpful than you might think. They contribute to connecting dots that makes everything make more sense than would be possible without your contributions. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Old 08-07-20, 11:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
None of this sounds normal to me. Obviously I can't physically examine your bike, but I recommend that you take it to your local bike shop. If you have a Trek dealer in your area, you might take it there. I say that just to avoid any brand bias that a local shop could have. A Trek dealer won't be able to simply talk trash about your bike, just because of the brand.
We see this kind of problem all the time with Treks. We had a guy come in just Tuesday with a Trek with the same problem, his wasn't fixable. Specialized never has this happen. I can sell you one.

Old 08-08-20, 05:01 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by danallen
I ride in the rain every few weeks. I had no idea that rain is an issue for bicycles.
Steel rusts, carbon fiber does not.

Old 08-08-20, 06:02 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
The YouTube guy saying you can get 9,000 miles out of a chain, now I’d like to see that! I wax my chains and do an OK job with it but my chain life is the same as when I used wet lube. To me the main advantage of waxing is drivetrain cleanliness.

Using the PTFE powder with canning wax does seem like it would be worth trying. If you go ahead with it, let us know how it turns out. When you make the conversion to waxing your chain you might want to start with a new chain since you’ll need to strip the factory lube the first time. You could do a deep clean on your used chain but it will take extra steps of sloshing in mineral spirits 2 to 4 cycles, then following up in denatured alcohol at least 2 steps according to the Molten Speed Wax method (which does work).
Old 08-08-20, 06:18 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
We see this kind of problem all the time with Treks. We had a guy come in just Tuesday with a Trek with the same problem, his wasn't fixable. Specialized never has this happen. I can sell you one.

I've heard stuff like that before
Old 08-08-20, 06:33 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Steel rusts, carbon fiber does not.

Are those jockey wheels steel?
Old 08-08-20, 06:58 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by znomit
that's not rust, it's dirt.
Old 08-08-20, 10:02 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by znomit
It's just a picture on the interweb.

This one better?
Old 08-08-20, 12:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I've heard stuff like that before
Somehow I'm not surprised. I've overheard stuff like that before too. I thought it was pretty clear what you were talking about, but since the OP is new I thought I'd spell it out. Well, maybe because he's new, maybe because I'm an ass. Like everything in life, it's probably a little of both.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.