Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Does Kinetic Trainer require the "trainer tire"?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 04-01-20, 09:06 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

I'm considering buying a Kinetic Road Machine indoor trainer. I thought I could just use the road tire and wheel I currently have on the bike. But I've read about the need for a trainer tire? Is that required, or just a "nice to have"?
Old 04-01-20, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Depends on how expensive a tire you run on your bike. Would you rather wear down a inexpensive tire on the trainer or an expensive tire?

Probably doesn't have to be a "trainer" tire. Just something that wears long.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-01-20, 10:21 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've had better experiences with road tires than "trainer tires" or maybe I'm better at selecting road tires than trainer tires. I'd say, just use what you got and see what happens. Don't like it, then change something.
Old 04-01-20, 12:14 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
I have used a Kurt Kinetic Road machine for perhaps 6 years. I would never put a new tire on a trainer wheel, it would be a waste. I use an old tire that I no longer trust on the road and then keep an eye on it. I've never flatted during a trainer session. By far the best have been old Gatorskins. They last a long time.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-01-20, 12:54 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The key is having a "trainer rear wheel", not the tire. If you buy a trainer tire, but don't have a trainer dedicated wheel, you're wasting time swapping tires all the time. Which is silly.

Buy a cheapo 10/11spd rear wheel (probably heaviest possible for more flywheel effect), and put on a used tire you don't trust on the road any longer.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-01-20, 02:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I use inexpensive Continental Ultra Sport II for outdoor rides and the Cycleops indoor trainer. No problems, even with HIIT sessions and lots of sprints. The trainer roller heats up but the tire is fine.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-01-20, 04:27 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
You don't' need a specific tire for the trainer. I use tires that are a bit worn out and needing replacing from the regular outdoor bikes and finish them off on the trainer. A good way to use up tires not ready for the garbage but not good enough for the road.

What I learned over the last few years....

Specialized tires burn FAST....I mean the fastest.
Bont tires are pretty decent but when the let go is right now.
Cont tires do pretty decent.
Michelin tires will go forever on the trainer. I had a tire on my beat around bike the was getting bad and then I put it on the trainer, its been two seasons now and still going. Its been the best so far! Don't know if it means anything real world but if I ever do a bike trip over a very long distance I would put mich on my bike!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 04-02-20, 05:42 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I don't think any wheel on trainer requires a trainer tire.

I've gone both ways: I started out just using what was on my bike that I put on the trainer, fairly expensive a treaded Schwalbe tire. The trainer pressure wore it down pretty fast, made a mess on the floor and was noisy.

I took that off and put on a worn slick road tire I in the trash bin. Solved the noise and the dismay of wasting expensive road tires, but still made a mess on the floor.

At the time, one of the online parts places had a big sale on tires, so I bought a discounted Continental trainer tire. Now on 3rd season of using that same tire, no mess on the floor, no noise, etc.

I'm only use that bike (a Trek 520) for loaded touring, which I'm not doing much of in the past few years so I don't have the major downside of having to change tires when I want to ride outdoors. If I did, I probably follow the earlier suggestion of having a trainer wheel, but I'd probably still put a trainer tire on that wheel because I am too lazy to vacuum up the rubber "sawdust" periodically!
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 04-02-20, 05:50 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
KK trainers have a larger roller diameter than many trainers and are easier on tires. I just use older tires (GP4000) and have never noticed any significant wear.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 04-02-20, 09:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Rollers are the one specific type of indoor trainer that I think many do see more tire wear on. However there were a couple posts around recently that several people were talking about how they had wear and/or deformed tires while using wheel on trainer. However the unanswered question that was never answered by them was whether or not they ensured they checked and maintained their tire pressure while leaving it on the trainer for the three maybe four months of indoor cycling they reported.

Still, if I were using a indoor wheel on trainer or rollers, I'd put a less expensive tire on a set of wheels I can swap out. Or, I'd use one of my bikes that I've left sit idle. I don't see a reason for my bike used for actual cycling out doors to be used for indoors when I have others sitting around that fit just as well.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-02-20, 04:10 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
I'm considering buying a Kinetic Road Machine indoor trainer. I thought I could just use the road tire and wheel I currently have on the bike. But I've read about the need for a trainer tire? Is that required, or just a "nice to have"?
I didn't notice a wear difference on my 700x25 GP4000SII at 90 psi between outdoor and indoor on a Kurt trainer when stuck inside after breaking my collarbone.

YMMV.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 04-02-20, 05:31 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
I didn't notice a wear difference on my 700x25 GP4000SII at 90 psi between outdoor and indoor on a Kurt trainer when stuck inside after breaking my collarbone.

YMMV.
that is great feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share. Ride well and ride safe!
Old 04-02-20, 05:32 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Iride01
Depends on how expensive a tire you run on your bike. Would you rather wear down a inexpensive tire on the trainer or an expensive tire?

Probably doesn't have to be a "trainer" tire. Just something that wears long.
that’s great input. Thanks!
Old 04-02-20, 05:33 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've had better experiences with road tires than "trainer tires" or maybe I'm better at selecting road tires than trainer tires. I'd say, just use what you got and see what happens. Don't like it, then change something.
great advice. Thanks.
Old 04-02-20, 05:33 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I have used a Kurt Kinetic Road machine for perhaps 6 years. I would never put a new tire on a trainer wheel, it would be a waste. I use an old tire that I no longer trust on the road and then keep an eye on it. I've never flatted during a trainer session. By far the best have been old Gatorskins. They last a long time.
thanks
Old 04-02-20, 05:35 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
The key is having a "trainer rear wheel", not the tire. If you buy a trainer tire, but don't have a trainer dedicated wheel, you're wasting time swapping tires all the time. Which is silly.

Buy a cheapo 10/11spd rear wheel (probably heaviest possible for more flywheel effect), and put on a used tire you don't trust on the road any longer.
thank has been my original plan. Thanks for your comment.
Old 04-02-20, 05:37 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by canklecat
I use inexpensive Continental Ultra Sport II for outdoor rides and the Cycleops indoor trainer. No problems, even with HIIT sessions and lots of sprints. The trainer roller heats up but the tire is fine.
sounds like good method. Thanks.
Old 04-02-20, 05:38 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by sdmc530
You don't' need a specific tire for the trainer. I use tires that are a bit worn out and needing replacing from the regular outdoor bikes and finish them off on the trainer. A good way to use up tires not ready for the garbage but not good enough for the road.

What I learned over the last few years....

Specialized tires burn FAST....I mean the fastest.
Bont tires are pretty decent but when the let go is right now.
Cont tires do pretty decent.
Michelin tires will go forever on the trainer. I had a tire on my beat around bike the was getting bad and then I put it on the trainer, its been two seasons now and still going. Its been the best so far! Don't know if it means anything real world but if I ever do a bike trip over a very long distance I would put mich on my bike!
good research. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-02-20, 05:41 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by jpescatore
I don't think any wheel on trainer requires a trainer tire.

I've gone both ways: I started out just using what was on my bike that I put on the trainer, fairly expensive a treaded Schwalbe tire. The trainer pressure wore it down pretty fast, made a mess on the floor and was noisy.

I took that off and put on a worn slick road tire I in the trash bin. Solved the noise and the dismay of wasting expensive road tires, but still made a mess on the floor.

At the time, one of the online parts places had a big sale on tires, so I bought a discounted Continental trainer tire. Now on 3rd season of using that same tire, no mess on the floor, no noise, etc.

I'm only use that bike (a Trek 520) for loaded touring, which I'm not doing much of in the past few years so I don't have the major downside of having to change tires when I want to ride outdoors. If I did, I probably follow the earlier suggestion of having a trainer wheel, but I'd probably still put a trainer tire on that wheel because I am too lazy to vacuum up the rubber "sawdust" periodically!
great experience. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-02-20, 05:44 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Totally agree about this, but in many cases lots of us have crappy old wheels to use, so don't need to buy a new one.

The challenge, though, is the cassette. If you have very different cassette wear on the trainer wheel and outdoor wheel, then you're going to have choppy shifting on at least one of them.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 04-02-20, 05:45 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by gregf83
KK trainers have a larger roller diameter than many trainers and are easier on tires. I just use older tires (GP4000) and have never noticed any significant wear.
great input. Thanks.
Old 04-02-20, 05:46 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Rollers are the one specific type of indoor trainer that I think many do see more tire wear on. However there were a couple posts around recently that several people were talking about how they had wear and/or deformed tires while using wheel on trainer. However the unanswered question that was never answered by them was whether or not they ensured they checked and maintained their tire pressure while leaving it on the trainer for the three maybe four months of indoor cycling they reported.

Still, if I were using a indoor wheel on trainer or rollers, I'd put a less expensive tire on a set of wheels I can swap out. Or, I'd use one of my bikes that I've left sit idle. I don't see a reason for my bike used for actual cycling out doors to be used for indoors when I have others sitting around that fit just as well.
great input. Thank you.
Old 04-04-20, 01:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

To the contrary, I've been riding resistance rollers for over 20 years and really don't see any tire wear on my nice road tires. Thousands of miles, no wear. It's the large drum size and the lack of roughness to tear at the rubber. That's a really cool thing about resistance rollers - just throw your road bike on them and ride, plus plenty of resistance to do intervals, anything you want. They have trainers beat all hollow for everything except standing sprints, and you shouldn't be sprinting indoors anyway, waste of time.

My strong guess is that everyone who uses a trainer checks their tire pressure, at least the rear. Kinda have to to get consistent results.
Old 04-04-20, 03:17 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
To the contrary, I've been riding resistance rollers for over 20 years and really don't see any tire wear on my nice road tires. Thousands of miles, no wear. It's the large drum size and the lack of roughness to tear at the rubber. That's a really cool thing about resistance rollers - just throw your road bike on them and ride, plus plenty of resistance to do intervals, anything you want. They have trainers beat all hollow for everything except standing sprints, and you shouldn't be sprinting indoors anyway, waste of time.

My strong guess is that everyone who uses a trainer checks their tire pressure, at least the rear. Kinda have to to get consistent results.

I think like you said roller user users just jump on and ride. Trainer set up folks check not enough regular items on the bike. BUT a wheel on trainer requires the roller to be pushed against the wheel with a screw type applied pressure. The rollers are using your body weight pressure to apply the contact. I imagine the wear is greater because the force to push the roller into the wheel is probably pretty high? I don't know this just my thoughts.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 04-04-20, 05:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by sdmc530
I think like you said roller user users just jump on and ride. Trainer set up folks check not enough regular items on the bike. BUT a wheel on trainer requires the roller to be pushed against the wheel with a screw type applied pressure. The rollers are using your body weight pressure to apply the contact. I imagine the wear is greater because the force to push the roller into the wheel is probably pretty high? I don't know this just my thoughts.
It's sorta like the road contact patch. The contact patch against the trainer roller is small, therefore needs more PSI to transfer the force. Large patch, less force. The usual roller set has two 4" D rollers against the rear tire, though with resistance rollers, only one has the resistance. There are plain roller sets with 2" rollers to slightly increase the force to turn the wheels without an additional resistance unit, simply by increasing the flex is the tire body. Some people with plain roller sets purposely reduce their tire pressure as another way to increase resistance slightly. On my resistance rollers, I run the same pressure I run on the road.

My wife uses a Computrainer which has an internal method of measuring or applying resistance to the rear wheel, thus measuring or creating the power one rides against. The exact force of the roller on the tire can vary as can the type of tire, so this device includes a method of calibrating the resistance between that rear tire and the roller in order to take that out of the equation.