Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Looking for a 26mm 35 degree stem for my Riv but

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 02:47 PM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

no one seems to have it in stock, any suggestions? I have a Rivendell Hillborne with Nitto Albastache bars that require a 26mm clamp. I'm replacing a standard 100mm Nitto stem in hopes of relieving some stress on my back. I have my eye on the 80mm Nitto Dirt Drop stem, is this not a very high demand stem size since no one has it in stock? I'm also open to suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-09-20, 06:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I wouldn't change any hardware. Work on your back fitness instead of your fit. That'll serve you best in the long run. Most endurance fits have the bars lower than that. I'd try lowering them instead of raising and moving them back, like maybe 3" lower. If it then seems like you have too much weight on your hands, move the saddle back. You have it pretty far forward. Also when you ride, try to straighten your back as much as you can, all the way from the top of your shorts to your shoulders, by rolling your pelvis forward. That can eliminate various pains.
Old 05-10-20, 10:50 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
no one seems to have it in stock, any suggestions? I have a Rivendell Hillborne with Nitto Albastache bars that require a 26mm clamp. I'm replacing a standard 100mm Nitto stem in hopes of relieving some stress on my back. I have my eye on the 80mm Nitto Dirt Drop stem, is this not a very high demand stem size since no one has it in stock? I'm also open to suggestions. Thanks
Try Analog Cycles, they show one in stock. https://www.analogcycles.com/product...irt-drop-stem/
Old 05-10-20, 10:51 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I wouldn't change any hardware. Work on your back fitness instead of your fit. That'll serve you best in the long run. Most endurance fits have the bars lower than that. I'd try lowering them instead of raising and moving them back, like maybe 3" lower. If it then seems like you have too much weight on your hands, move the saddle back. You have it pretty far forward. Also when you ride, try to straighten your back as much as you can, all the way from the top of your shorts to your shoulders, by rolling your pelvis forward. That can eliminate various pains.
Your advice doesn't even come close to applying to this bike, or the OP's type of riding.
Old 05-11-20, 12:41 PM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Try Analog Cycles, they show one in stock. https://www.analogcycles.com/product...irt-drop-stem/
Perfect, thanks for the help and for the link.
Old 05-11-20, 12:46 PM
MulliganAl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Thanks for the advice and I'm in great shape but when you're 62 and retired it's all about preserving the body and peace of mind. You're riding tip sounds great, I'll combine them with a new upright stem.
Likes For MulliganAl:
Old 05-11-20, 12:48 PM
MulliganAl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Your advice doesn't even come close to applying to this bike, or the OP's type of riding.
Thank you.
Old 05-11-20, 01:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
Thanks for the advice and I'm in great shape but when you're 62 and retired it's all about preserving the body and peace of mind. You're riding tip sounds great, I'll combine them with a new upright stem.
Your welcome. If the new stem doesn't fix it, keep an open mind. I've seen more people get rid of back pain by lowering and increasing reach than the opposite. There are two reasons for the upper body position in the standard road, MTB, and CX fits, and neither of them is aerodynamics.