Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Letter to the editor about "aggressive and narcissistic bicyclists"

Old 05-25-20, 08:08 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
do not ride in Middletown: https://www.providencejournal.com/ne...-in-middletown
Old 05-25-20, 08:16 AM
IsleRide 

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1979 Trek 710, 1997 Scott Mohaka, 2005 Rivendell Rambouillet, 2019 Rivendell Appaloosa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
There was a similar "opinion" posted in the Northampton MA Gazette regarding "scores of cyclists riding and talking in groups" on the path and ignoring the safety of all.

I haven't seen what that observer supposedly saw but I do think, especially now, that we have to go out of our way on the MUPs to be smart riders and courteous to other users.
Slow down around pedestrians especially when things get congested. Notify them of your intentions to pass either verbally or with a bell.

I'm amazed when I see fellow riders racing to get past a group of pedestrians when another cyclist is approaching from the opposite direction. There isn't room for two bikes to pass by each other when you might have 2-4 walkers on the path at the same spot. To do so at full tilt is dangerous and inconsiderate.
Old 05-25-20, 11:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11345 Post(s)
Liked 2,545 Times in 1,486 Posts
MUPs generally aren't ideal places to ride any faster than walking speed. That's what roads are for. Bikes are wheeled vehicles. Empty MUPs are fine, but of there are pedestrians around, we have the same responsibility to their safety as when we're driving.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-25-20, 11:24 AM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post

Regardless of how troll is defined, thank you for your offer, but no I am not interested in being a moderator at this time.
Then allow the moderators to do their volunteer job without judgement. If you aren't going to be the change, you are part of the problem.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-25-20, 11:57 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier View Post
I saw the news item of that hit and run in the Journal also. My first thought was that is a very busy section of road and intersection. I don't think I would ride there as there is no shoulder. My second thought was that the cyclist has a Hispanic name. In the Newport area, there are many Hispanic immigrants in service industries that may not be able to afford autos. My third thought was that 25 years ago I lived in that area when traffic was much lighter and I confidently rode a bike there. These days all of Aquidneck Island, Newport, Middletown and Portsmouth is way too busy so I don't ride there.