Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

The choice of 2 wheelsets. (maybe 3)

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 05-26-20, 02:20 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Mavic Allroad Pro UST disc, $1100 unless on sale which I highly doubt. 22 internal, holeless rim bed, 1660 gram. I love a Stiff wheel!

VS

Lightbicycle AR28 carbon disc inner /outer 22/29, 28 depth, 2mm asymmetric, CX Ray, brass nipples, 350 straight, pull 28 spoke. 1499 gram $858

Personal pros on both I love straight pull.
I trust Mavic as I have many miles on 2005 are ksyrium elites that have never been trued. But the DT swiss hubs 350 are bomb proof too. carry a spare ratchet. and when the bearings go, upgrade em!

Pros for the Mavics, No Rim tape! Cons for the mavic carry a mavic tool and a few extra spokes.

Mavic looses on the weight side, but better for abusing. Which also leads to a side argument. Running two wheelsets the 1500gram Lightbicyle would be great for Compass Snoqualmie or Barlow pass with tubes.

and then adding a 650b wheelset with anything from a Switchback hill to a 650b MSO for abusive rides.
Old 06-20-20, 02:42 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I went with the MAvic Allroad pro ust and while I have not rode them yet, I have no regrets!

they came with the 700x35 Yksion tire. I took the tire off by hand, it weighed 401 gram. Went on by hand seated easily with a floor pump. It measured 35.6 @ 50 psi
It's definitely going to need sealant to hold air. Bonus is no rim tape EVER... never!

and they look awesome as heck with the big spokes.
I even paid less than Retail!
Old 06-20-20, 03:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I like the no rim tape. I have some DT Swiss that don't use rim tape -- unless you use a tube.
Old 06-20-20, 06:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
What bike are the wheels for?
I've read about the lack of spoke hole design and its an interesting option.