Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Advice: please evaluate the route of my first tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Advice: please evaluate the route of my first tour

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 02:56 PM
eddie_the_K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I just found this thread in the New Posts feed.

Your route from Xenia to Greensburg is fairly flat but not very interesting. Lots of corn and soybean fields, with occasional small wood lots.
It's 125 miles, 2700 feet. Just 21 feet per mile.

I drew an alternate route. It's more interesting to ride, but hillier.
120 miles, 4300 feet. 35 feet per mile, not bad. But there's some steeper grades along the way. I don't think I would route this way for loaded touring, but it could be quite nice for light weight credit card touring.
It's 6 miles of a slight downhill grade on the Little Miami Trail out of Xenia, just enough to notice. And 5 miles downhill at mile 72, with maybe a 1% downhill on that bottom half, soft pedal it.
Most of western Indiana that I've ridden has extremely low traffic away from the main highways, which can be busy and annoying. Some roads are chip-seal, a thin tar layer with gravel embedded. It can be annoying to ride when it's fairly new, but it does wear down a bit smoother. Indiana counties seem to chip-seal roads at random--some are smooth asphalt, some are older smoother chip-seal, some are new and buzzy.

The purple sections are roads where I'm somewhat familiar with the area, but didn't always know which road to choose from the alternatives--could use a little more research.
The green line is the river road to Brookville, very scenic and quiet, but rough pavement on part of it. Tires that work on the GAP trail will help, but it works with road bike tires.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32776803

It might not fit your time and distance schedule.
WOW! Very nice alternative route. At first I wasn't too sure, I was planning on stopping in Dayton for a long day, looking at the AF Museum. But I think the rule is when you have a rest day, *rest*, and hiking acres of a museum is probably not a good idea. Also was not looking forward to days of soybeans.

My route those days starts in London OH, and ends in Columbus IN. Here is your route with the ends stretched: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32785319I see a couple of small towns, 60 miles apart, that will do nicely. Decent places to stay, a couple of local restaurants, and a much nicer ride. More hilly but I am working on my climbing. And my original route was a lot of right angle turns on county roads made for farm equipment.

Thanks a lot for posting this, I'll be looking it over.

-Ed
Old 05-29-20, 08:31 AM
eddie_the_K

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I It might not fit your time and distance schedule.
Actually it fits both just fine. Had to add a crosstown route in Middletown OH. Other than that, this is a winner. I already have some diners and c-stores noted.

I have booked rooms in Middletown and Brookville IN. Thanks a lot for going to that effort.

I looked at the heat map. I chose residential streets in town over the thruways people mostly use. I've got time, I'll smell the flowers in people's yards.

You guys are awesome!

-Ed
Old 06-03-20, 04:55 AM
eddie_the_K

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My first tour casualty of C-19: the Yough Plaza Motel in Ohiopyle PA has closed for the remainder of the year and cancelled my reservation.

It may be the entire town is shutting down. I was told once that almost everything tourist-related there was owned by 2 families so maybe they decided to call it quits together. That's a town that really relies on tourists, I think. It's right on the GAP and is a destination for rafting and the state park.

I have moved that night's stay to Connellsville, about 12 miles further from Cumberland. It's all downhill once you get past the Eastern Continental divide early in the trip. A 1% railroad grade, sure, but maybe enough to notice. This makes the next day more reasonable, of course.

There is one more stop that is a tourist destination on the trip, and that's the only place to stay for many miles around. I'll start planning a different route now, just in case.
Old 06-03-20, 03:36 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by eddie_the_K
My first tour casualty of C-19: the Yough Plaza Motel in Ohiopyle PA has closed for the remainder of the year and cancelled my reservation.

It may be the entire town is shutting down. I was told once that almost everything tourist-related there was owned by 2 families so maybe they decided to call it quits together. That's a town that really relies on tourists, I think. It's right on the GAP and is a destination for rafting and the state park.

I have moved that night's stay to Connellsville, about 12 miles further from Cumberland. It's all downhill once you get past the Eastern Continental divide early in the trip. A 1% railroad grade, sure, but maybe enough to notice. This makes the next day more reasonable, of course.

There is one more stop that is a tourist destination on the trip, and that's the only place to stay for many miles around. I'll start planning a different route now, just in case.
It's always good to have a Plan B and even a Plan C for times when routes have to be change for any number of reasons.

All my touring longer than a day ride is on hold and Ontario, Canada has lengthened the emergency thing to June 30 now.

Good luck and cheers
Old 06-03-20, 06:19 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

Too bad about Ohiopyle shutting down...last fall I was thinking about riding the GAP & staying there 'cause it had gotten a bit cold for camping. I decided to wait for this year, forgot to check the crystal ball. So the GAP is popular (well usually) but it's a bit ironic that motel spots are a bit limited. Some areas they're a fair ride off the path. I was going to ask if you visited Falling Water but of course I see that's closed.
Old 08-31-20, 06:34 PM
eddie_the_K

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Friends who may see this: it's a dangerous world out there, and I don't mean cars. As much as I want to take this epically great tour I can't justify it. I have cancelled all my stays and am staying home for the first 2 weeks of September. I would have left Saturday.

I may take an overnight trip with the wife later in the fall. I may take the GAP up to Pittsburgh to see an old friend living there. But I won't be heading through the 14 counties of MD, PA, OH, and IN on my route. I have been keeping track of infection rates in all those counties. Ironically, my home county of Montgomery MD has the highest per capita rate of all of them, and my ultimate destination is a close second. But at least I can stay safe at home. Hotels and eating out in maskless territory somehow seems unwise.

I hope some of you are getting out and about safely. Thanks to everybody who helped with planning what would have been a great trjp. After we all get vaccinated I'll plan it again.

Ed K
Old 09-01-20, 05:59 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Friends who may see this: it's a dangerous world out there, and I don't mean cars. As much as I want to take this epically great tour I can't justify it. I have cancelled all my stays and am staying home for the first 2 weeks of September. I would have left Saturday.

I may take an overnight trip with the wife later in the fall. I may take the GAP up to Pittsburgh to see an old friend living there. But I won't be heading through the 14 counties of MD, PA, OH, and IN on my route. I have been keeping track of infection rates in all those counties. Ironically, my home county of Montgomery MD has the highest per capita rate of all of them, and my ultimate destination is a close second. But at least I can stay safe at home. Hotels and eating out in maskless territory somehow seems unwise.

I hope some of you are getting out and about safely. Thanks to everybody who helped with planning what would have been a great trjp. After we all get vaccinated I'll plan it again.

Ed K
Taking a trip and being anxious all the time is no fun. I'm confident you made the right call. There will be time for longer trips in the future. I've been continuously postponing even an overnight trip to a local state park campground, though I'll probably do that soon. GAP/CO also seems like it might be done fairly safely, especially in the off-season (I'm thinking November), but we'll see how things are then.
Old 09-02-20, 05:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
Taking a trip and being anxious all the time is no fun. I'm confident you made the right call. There will be time for longer trips in the future. I've been continuously postponing even an overnight trip to a local state park campground, though I'll probably do that soon. GAP/CO also seems like it might be done fairly safely, especially in the off-season (I'm thinking November), but we'll see how things are then.
I’ve done two three day trips to state parks in NJ and PA. The former are only operating at 50% capacity, which is nice. My trip to the latter was somewhat concerning because the vast majority of people using the restrooms were not wearing masks as required. I peed in the woods behind my site whenever possible. Fortunately, I was there on weekdays, so it wasn’t packed, and my loop didn’t have many loop didn’t have many sites with hookups. The loops that do were much more crowded.

Starting the GAP a week from Saturday as part of a cross-PA tour. Most of the places I plan to stay should be fairly empty.

Note that the Big Savage Tunnel on the GAP closes at some point in November. There is no easy workaround.
Old 09-02-20, 08:58 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

Note that the Big Savage Tunnel on the GAP closes at some point in November. There is no easy workaround.
From what I’ve read, I had the impression that it typically closes first week of December. Is it earlier this year?
Old 09-03-20, 05:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
From what I’ve read, I had the impression that it typically closes first week of December. Is it earlier this year?
You could be correct. I was going from memory, which isn’t always as sharp as it could be.
Old 09-28-20, 04:18 AM
eddie_the_K

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ride report (truncated)

Last night I got back from an overnight trip I had to take. I spent all summer training and went without beer and ice cream to lose 20 lbs, only to cancel my epic trip. I had to do something in spite of the risk.

I drew an 80 mile radius around my house and chose Waynesboro PA as a destination. Seemed like a nice town, with a downtown that hasn't been abandoned yet. Hotel, restaurants, 70 mostly rural miles with some good climbs, could return home via C&O,... Perfect overnighter.

Turned out great. A pleasant ride, uneventful except for my knee acting up (which had not happened all summer, just now when I needed it most), scenery, no rain though cloudy (not the glorious Indian summer of the last few weeks). RWGPS places me at #151 for the climb over South Mountain. Hey, I made the board! With luggage!

I took some bedding, and wiped down the entire room before guzzling my beer and showering. Good Mexican dinner and a stop at the brewpub. Morning muffin at the coffee bar, and back on the road. Stopped for an awesome burger in Brunswick on the canal, took some Advil, and rode home.

Those who warned me about being ambitious with my mileage: yeah, maybe. Two days of 70 miles went OK but was taxing. And my butt was unhappy to the point of walking down the canal for a while. I may have covered the off road portion of my trip OK but the other 600 miles on roads would have been a struggle. Next time I will plan accordingly.

Next weekend my wife and I will ride the canal to a B&B for an overnighter, and then it's time to put away the touring bike for the year.

I hope everyone got a trip this year. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-20, 07:12 AM
stubert58

Bikes: Trek 520 Disk

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the others...very aggressive, but then I don't know your fitness level. I would consider a stop at a spa for a well deserved massage!

Stu