Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 shifter- should it click?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-29-20, 01:05 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 971 Posts

I just bought a used bike with Shimano 105 5700 2X10 components. The right shifter doesn't seem to have any distinct click for when you try to shift one cog. Sometimes I try to shift one cog and end up shifting two cogs. Other times I thought I shifted one cog and it turns out I haven't shifted at all. Should there be a distinct click for this shifter? The left shifter is similarly vague for the trim shift. When I am off the bike and standing still, I can hear an audible click when I push in to trim. But the click is so subtle that I absolutely cannot hear or feel it when I am actually pedaling along. Is this normal?
This is the first bike I've owned which has these STI brifters. My previous bike was a recreational bike with twist grip shifters. With that bike you could always hear, feel and see each shift. Whereas with this new bike I feel like I've gone back to the friction shift olden days.
Old 05-29-20, 02:07 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
My 5700 shifter does have a very light but audible and feel-able (if that's a word) click when going to a larger cog at the rear. You probably wouldn't hear it in traffic/on the road.

Shimano are known for having a very light feel to the shifting; my Campagnolo shifters on other bikes have a distinct clunk sound when shifting in either direction, but at the same time it takes a bit more finger-force to make the shift.
Old 05-29-20, 05:49 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
...You probably wouldn't hear it in traffic.
That’s my issue! But I can’t even feel the click neither. Is it because the shifter is worn out, or is it always that vague?
Old 05-29-20, 07:07 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I'd try this:
Old 05-30-20, 12:51 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
That’s my issue! But I can’t even feel the click neither. Is it because the shifter is worn out, or is it always that vague?
I wouldn’t call it vague. It’s a lighter touch than my old 9spd shifters, but I’ve never had a trouble of not knowing if I’ve shifted or not.
Old 05-30-20, 05:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I have bikes with 105 and SRAM Red. To me the difference in feel and sound is like an auto vs standard transmission in cars.
Old 05-30-20, 05:53 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Welcome to Shimano's "light action shifting". I hated it and would rather use Microshift with their loud audible clicks.