Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > News & Announcements
Reload this Page >

Recall on bike - Cannondale Cyclocross CAADX

Notices
News & Announcements Recall Announcements
Get up to date News about the BikeForums Community here.

Old 07-25-19, 04:26 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...cid=spartandhp
Old 07-25-19, 10:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
That is why they call them Crackandfails. Hopefully no more folks get hurt on them.
Old 07-26-19, 07:47 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Oh noes...the confirmation bias crowd would love this
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 07-26-19, 08:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Oh noes...the confirmation bias crowd would love this
Pretty sure there's a difference between pointing out that this is consistent with what they're asserting and confirmation bias.

Actually, Cannondale's position on this is oddly supporting the argument that carbon forks are inherently problematic--they claim they can't find a defect, but they're recalling them anyway. Pretty clear that makes sense from their liability perspective, but rather inconvenient if you're arguing there's no unseen danger in carbon forks.

I have no dog in this fight, BTW, I love my carbon fork. I'm just not a big fan of preemptive accusations of logical fallacies.
Old 07-26-19, 08:23 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Pretty sure there's a difference between pointing out that this is consistent with what they're asserting and confirmation bias.

Actually, Cannondale's position on this is oddly supporting the argument that carbon forks are inherently problematic--they claim they can't find a defect, but they're recalling them anyway. Pretty clear that makes sense from their liability perspective, but rather inconvenient if you're arguing there's no unseen danger in carbon forks.

I have no dog in this fight, BTW, I love my carbon fork. I'm just not a big fan of preemptive accusations of logical fallacies.
No. Confirmation bias is when you think you think you see a trend that agrees with your predetermined belief. Like the first comment on this thread that goes back to the early 1990's word play, "Crackandfails". That nickname was a reference to early aluminum frames built in their US facility, and the part in question here is a Chinese (probably) made carbon fork... no relationship exists but someone sees a pattern anyway.
Old 07-26-19, 08:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
No. Confirmation bias is when you think you think you see a trend that agrees with your predetermined belief. Like the first comment on this thread that goes back to the early 1990's word play, "Crackandfails". That nickname was a reference to early aluminum frames built in their US facility, and the part in question here is a Chinese (probably) made carbon fork... no relationship exists but someone sees a pattern anyway.
You see any indication in the post I was responding to that that was what he was referring to?

I'm aware what confirmation bias is, but pointing out that a carbon fork that has had repeated catastrophic failure when no one can find a defect is consistent with an argument that carbon forks are inherently dangerous because defects can be undetectable is not an example of confirmation bias.

Actually, even the Crackandfails thing might not be if you want to assail the company's history of quality control.
Old 07-26-19, 10:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
I know what's wrong:

"The bicycle has disc brakes."
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-26-19, 11:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I know what's wrong:

No confirmation bias there!

Just thinking now. Wonder how many forks Cannondale tested and couldn't find anything? Did they really thoroughly screen 1,000? (That would give them about a 63% chance of finding a bad one, assuming uniform failure probability.) If it were a manufacturing defect that's so far affected 0.1% of production, even if it were possible to screen out defects (that have probably grown from initial defects over the past seven years); what're your odds of getting a good fork if you take the replacement offered as part of the recall? What are the odds of giving up a perfectly good fork and getting a flawed fork in exchange?

I'm liking the steel forks on my current bikes. With rim brakes.
Old 07-26-19, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I know what's wrong:

I think the more important question was whether the rider who got killed was wearing a helmet, had lights, and was wearing yellow.
Old 07-26-19, 08:02 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
Cannondale CAADX Cyclocross Bikes

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/Cy...ality-Reported
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-26-19, 08:24 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Well poo! My 15 CaadX is on the list!

Oh well i guess.
Old 07-26-19, 08:44 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Says one fatality. Should be some news report about it. My searches yields nothing so far.
Old 07-27-19, 02:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by sdmc530
Well poo! My 15 CaadX is on the list!

Oh well i guess.
You get a new and better fork for free.. Sounds like win-win.
Old 07-27-19, 02:21 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You get a new and better fork for free.. Sounds like win-win.

Taking mine in today. They said turn around is going to be fast. Cannondale was preparing for it according to my lbs.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 07-27-19, 03:04 PM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
What's next? TV commercials where attorneys gen up business? Or maybe bogus "riders" scouring used bike sales wanting to cash in on a fake fall? :-)
Old 07-27-19, 03:12 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Yet Cannondale keeps these forks on the market! What a world we live in.

Old 07-27-19, 04:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Lemond1985

And how the hell is that thing a fork? It doesn't actually, y'know, fork.

It's a forking misnomer!
Old 07-28-19, 12:06 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985

That’s not the CAAD-X. It’s a CX bike with a rigid carbon disk fork, not a Lefty.
What’s up with all the Cannondale hate?

Old 07-28-19, 03:37 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
"Cannondale and several independent groups tested bicycles and didn’t find a defect in the forks but Cannondale is offering riders free upgraded replacement forks."

what really amuses me is that people will bash the Aluminum part of it, but this has nothing to do with aluminum, or manufacturing either.... haters are just going to hate though.
Old 07-28-19, 06:17 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Moved to News and announcements from General.
Old 07-28-19, 12:56 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

A quick update: After dropping my beloved CaadX off at my LBS they thought it would be a quick turn around. Cannondale was ready for this I guess and it was a voluntary recall according to my LBS?

What they knew of 10 injuries and 1 death unfortunate because the fork failed. So I am hopeful it will be quickly changed. My lbs said the new fork will 100% carbon and probably better than the factory fork so that will be nice.

I will add my LBS did say before the recall they did do one other CaadX that had a fork fail. The owner paid for that fork replacement but said they would get a credit for that work being it would have been recalled. So props for Cannondale for the CS! I have been super happy with mine, its a great gavel grinder!

Will see how long it takes.
Old 08-14-19, 01:01 PM
psycholist

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well yay. Took my bike (2013 CAADX ULT) in yesterday to the shop where I bought the bike for overhaul of non fork related things and the mech took one look at it and starts telling me about the recall and then says the new batch of forks won't be in til Aug 31 annnd I can't just have them do the stuff I had planned on and then bring it back later for the fork swap. If I drop my bike off there's no taking it home til after the first of Sept. And you can't opt out. I know this is just them covering their butt, and I also know this is in my best interest since it sounds like something weird is going on with these forks, but it just seemed irritating as hell at the time to think they weren't even giving me a choice. I have close to 150,000 mi or better on this bike and who knows what kinds of minute cracks from everyday wear and tear might be up there by now, or in the carbon seat post, yet I have to accept that possibility and not ride scared. I snapped a crank on my old bike in a sprint and that was exhilaration aplenty, but I don't ride around thinking gee my crank might pop today, don't get on it. I'm going to take them up on the recall of course, who doesn't want a new free fork (unless New and Improved turns out crappy too, hmm) but I guess it just bugged me how they presented the issue, which was like accept the terms of the recall or we don't work on your bike because as of this moment it is officially a death bomb. I know, it all boils down to litigation. Just sayin. I also wonder how many people bought this bike from a Cdale dealer but have work done somewhere else. How would they even know about the recall?
Old 08-14-19, 01:06 PM
psycholist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ps...forgot to add...called the number at 1800BIKEUSA and they were fairly helpful, just didn't offer any specifics except that there are different batches of new forks AND STEERERS shipping now so turnover may be up to 5 weeks. Also the new forks are solid black, with no detailing color or graphics.
Old 09-02-19, 01:14 PM
psycholist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I'm certainly a little aggravated. When I took the bike in for the overhaul and found out about the recall, they said they'd have the new forks by the first of Sept. Just called the shop to check back and now the word is, the forks are two months out. And they still will not touch the bike for the other work and let it leave there without the new fork. So I either hang up the bike for two months (aint going to happen) or go to a non-Cannondale dealer for the overhaul and pray nothing ugly happens since Cdale won't then warranty it. Frankly I figure I've got 6 years and over 150,000 not-so-gentle miles on it, if the fork were bad I'd surely have found out by now. Maybe not. Has anyone else gotten their replacements?
Old 10-23-19, 02:06 PM
Chompers25

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have people gotten forks? My shop is now saying late November. I've been without my bike since July 31!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.