Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

High TPI fatbike tires

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

High TPI fatbike tires

Old 12-07-19, 09:49 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
High TPI fatbike tires

Seems redundant?

Why spring for 120 TPI when the tire is already a gigantic heavy chunk of rubber? I see the difference on thinner and more supple tires, but a fatbike tire is anything but. Then when you start talking winter tires, it gets even more questionable.

Thoughts?
Old 12-08-19, 08:18 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I don't recall the specific reasons. Recently I saw a panel discussion with people from Schwalbe and WTB and the consensus was around 60-70 TPI is the best compromise. Although, that discussion wasn't about fattires specifically.

It is about the whole package of rubber, tread etc. Focussing on one number is futile.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 12-08-19, 12:33 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I don't recall the specific reasons. Recently I saw a panel discussion with people from Schwalbe and WTB and the consensus was around 60-70 TPI is the best compromise. Although, that discussion wasn't about fattires specifically.

It is about the whole package of rubber, tread etc. Focussing on one number is futile.
Makes sense to me. I was just thinking that after you have gigantic chunk-o-rubber tread blocks, plus the mass of the tire itself, things like TPI would kind of vanish into the background, as opposed to, say, the light race tires on my fast roadie.
Old 12-09-19, 10:54 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Seems redundant?

Why spring for 120 TPI when the tire is already a gigantic heavy chunk of rubber? I see the difference on thinner and more supple tires, but a fatbike tire is anything but. Then when you start talking winter tires, it gets even more questionable.

Thoughts?
120 tpi tires are lighter, ride better, and are faster while still being plenty durable
Likes For prj71:
Old 12-17-19, 03:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I would argue that differences in tire construction and materials would make MORE of a difference when the tires are such a big part of the weight of the bike. Reducing rotating weight by 20% means a lot more with a 1500g tire than with a 250g tire.

Also, suppleness makes a bigger difference the lower the tire pressure. The whole point of fat tires off road is that they conform to the terrain. The more supple the tire, the easier it conforms to the terrain and the less energy wasted in doing so.

IMO, the money spent reducing total tire weight by 1lb with better materials and construction is way better spent than reducing frame weight by that much.
Likes For Kapusta: