Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

New Fat Bike Video

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

New Fat Bike Video

Old 12-28-19, 03:29 AM
DuneRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
New Fat Bike Video

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to the fat bike world, mostly been a bmxer, but just got my first fat bike a few months ago and I've been loving it! Thought I'd share a quick video I did of the riding I've been doing here in Northern California. Does anyone else have videos of them riding? I'd love to check them out! I've been watching lots of Pat Smage's video's for inspiration...

Oops! Just realized I'm not allowed to attach URL's yet... Well if you search this you'll see it at the top: sequoyah faulk fat bike dune bombing

Hope I'm not breaking forum etiquette, like I said, totally new to this!
Likes For DuneRider:
Old 12-30-19, 01:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
that was fun!
Old 12-30-19, 05:40 PM
DuneRider

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
that was fun!
Thanks for checking it out!
I'm working on another edit right now, still in the filming process tho...
Happy trails!
Old 12-30-19, 06:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by DuneRider
Thanks for checking it out!
I'm working on another edit right now, still in the filming process tho...
Happy trails!
’specially the drone stuff
Old 12-30-19, 07:03 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Liked it too. Nice videography
Old 12-31-19, 02:58 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
That's cool!
Bring more of that!

Some questions:
1. did you ever do similar riding with a rigid fork?
2. Do you think FS would be helpful?

What I see is that it is all in the rider skills. I never would be bale (or brave enough) to do the same riding regardless of the bike.
Old 01-01-20, 08:51 PM
pwhite

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice video, is the fat bike the only bike you have?
Old 01-04-20, 01:10 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Really nice video! Great riding skills too. Loved the inclusion of drone video and the music was spot on. What happened on the trail, did you switch to a GoPro Hero 3??? lol (I say that because that's what I have

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 01-07-20, 06:54 PM
DuneRider

Thank you HerrKaLeun!
I'm working on another edit so hopefully I'll have more soon : )
In terms of the fork, I think you could do it all with a rigid fork, but it just wouldn't feel as smooth. My Bluto shock feels pretty flimsy on the bigger drops, so I might actually be better off with a rigid setup (I come from a freestyle bmx background, so shocks are new to me!)
As for your last comment, IMO ultimately I'd say it's about 80% rider skill and 20% bike setup. I just got a Mongoose Malus for $100 off a buddy, and I won't be out doing any big drops or jumps on that thing, it just weighs like 45lbs which isn't that fun to try to get airborn on haha, but on the other end of the spectrum my setup is just a stock Motobecane I got for $1300, and I don't think spending another 3k on a bike would make any significant difference in what I could do on it.
Happy trails!
Old 01-07-20, 06:58 PM
DuneRider

Originally Posted by pwhite
Nice video, is the fat bike the only bike you have?
Thanks! My other bike is a freestyle BMX bike, 2 pegs, no breaks, 20" wheels. I love that bike too, but it's just so nice to ride out in nature instead of a skatepark or street!
Old 01-07-20, 07:01 PM
DuneRider

[QUOTE=ericzamora;21269532]Really nice video! Great riding skills too. Loved the inclusion of drone video and the music was spot on. What happened on the trail, did you switch to a GoPro Hero 3??? lol (I say that because that's what I have

Haha, BINGO!!! It's funny cause the footage doesn't look bad in the uncompressed format, but all the stuff I did to adjust the lighting cause the Hero 3 doesn't handle low light well just totally did not translate to youtubes compression algorithm... Most of the other footage was shot on my iphone 6, so I'll pry stick with that more for the next one haha
Old 02-24-20, 01:02 PM
maaakaaa

Bikes: 2011 Giant TranceX, 2015 Ralleigh Rumson, early 1990s Gitane CX, 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1992 Bianchi Project-3, 1994 Norco Blitz

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Great video that made me want to get out on my bike, which is how I judge a good bike video I need to take my fat bike sometime when I’m visiting family in Oregon.

Here’s the link:
Old 02-28-20, 05:53 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Great Video
Old 11-23-20, 03:25 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
That's a great video! Good job on all aspects.

Love riding in the NorCal Redwoods and on the beach myself.

I watched the BMX edit as well.

In the first video you really captured the excited of discovering what you can do on a fat bike showing how it is capable of riding on the riverside rocks.

I don't know about fording the river in over the hubs deep water though. Can't be good for the bearings! But maybe it's easier than carrying it.

The riding in the snow aspect of fat bikes is definitely a huge application.

I live near the Pacific Coast and there are some really nice long beaches to ride on. I've ridden from Capitola to Monterey and back, it's a huge ride, a bunch of times. The wind can be an issue! The biggest hold up is crossing the Pajaro River in the middle.

Even though the beach is popular with the lay on the beach crowd, it turns out that most of the beach is empty of people because they don't stay far from the car, and often the weather is not good for laying on the beach, but perfect for riding.

The wildlife on the beach is amazeballs too. You have to watch for surfcasting fishermen (some of them fat bike!).
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 11-23-20, 08:14 PM
DuneRider

Thanks, let me know if ever in Humboldt!

Originally Posted by Sorcerer
That's a great video! Good job on all aspects.

Love riding in the NorCal Redwoods and on the beach myself.

I watched the BMX edit as well.

In the first video you really captured the excited of discovering what you can do on a fat bike showing how it is capable of riding on the riverside rocks.

I don't know about fording the river in over the hubs deep water though. Can't be good for the bearings! But maybe it's easier than carrying it.

The riding in the snow aspect of fat bikes is definitely a huge application.

I live near the Pacific Coast and there are some really nice long beaches to ride on. I've ridden from Capitola to Monterey and back, it's a huge ride, a bunch of times. The wind can be an issue! The biggest hold up is crossing the Pajaro River in the middle.

Even though the beach is popular with the lay on the beach crowd, it turns out that most of the beach is empty of people because they don't stay far from the car, and often the weather is not good for laying on the beach, but perfect for riding.

The wildlife on the beach is amazeballs too. You have to watch for surfcasting fishermen (some of them fat bike!).
Hey thanks for taking the time to check it out! Fat biking has reignited my life long love of bikes. Shoot me an email if you're ever heading up to Humboldt and I'll show you the local spots up here: sequoyahfaulk@hotmail.com
Likes For DuneRider: