Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reflective Tape

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Reflective Tape

Old 01-10-20, 10:04 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Reflective Tape

In addition to the boot covers, my reflective tape arrived the other day. Tonight will be the first evening ride with the tape on my helmet and backpack. It will be interesting to see the results, if any.

I got one package of reflective strips and another 4 pack of yellow reflective tape from Lowe's for about $12
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-10-20, 02:52 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I am a big fan of reflective tape!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-10-20, 03:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
good luck! hope it stays on! last time I bought reflective tape for bike commuting I went w/ coast guard approved marine grade. 10 years later it's still there!

sorry don't remember the brand, etc. but was easy to find some just now

https://www.identi-tape.com/USCGFP.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-SO.../dp/B00FEMK324

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-11-20 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-10-20, 03:48 PM
parkbrav

We'll see! Well, it just has to stay on for the winter, I'm short-term thinking about this winter, as I'm starting to save up for the next big automotive adventure

Wow, did you see how much the Coast Guard tape costs? $232 per 150 ft, plus shipping. That prices me out, I'm afraid.
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-10-20, 03:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by parkbrav
We'll see! Well, it just has to stay on for the winter, I'm short-term thinking about this winter, as I'm starting to save up for the next big automotive adventure. Wow, did you see how much the Coast Guard tape costs? $232 per 150 ft, plus shipping. That prices me out, I'm afraid.
oh I would never have paid that. I think I bought a 10 ft roll & I would not have spent more than $30 I probably have a BF thread from 2009 I can hunt for ...

I think I still have a few inches of it at home I can check the brand if I remember

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-10-20 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 04:01 PM
rumrunn6

here we go, see post #8

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...bike-rims.html

I guess the Brand is SOLAS?

https://shop.reflectivestore.com/pro...5?productId=21
Old 01-10-20, 05:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
You can google "3m reflecting tape" and get a bunch of hits. I did that perhaps 10 years ago. Bought 3" white tape suitable for fabrics and put a lot of it on the back, sides and bottom of my day pack. Haven't touched it since and it still works (very well) and looks good. The pack has seen a lot of use and the tape zero consideration. The company was an industrial supply outfit. My google showed a few. This one had the tape I wanted and an amount I could handle.

My searches have also come across a chart of colors vs % light reflected; ie how "bright" they are. White being the best and yellow very close. My rain bike got painted the standard sky blue powdercoat, The 3M blue is that exact color. I have 10' of 1" blue tape on the bike. (I didn't know how close the tape would be when I ordered. I was very pleasantly surprised. Daytime you can barely see it. At night, the bike is very visible. Not bright; it is the low reflecting blue, but there is so much the bike is very visible.

Ben
Old 01-10-20, 05:55 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
You can google "3m reflecting tape" and get a bunch of hits. I did that perhaps 10 years ago. Bought 3" white tape suitable for fabrics and put a lot of it on the back, sides and bottom of my day pack. Haven't touched it since and it still works (very well) and looks good. The pack has seen a lot of use and the tape zero consideration. The company was an industrial supply outfit. My google showed a few. This one had the tape I wanted and an amount I could handle.

My searches have also come across a chart of colors vs % light reflected; ie how "bright" they are. White being the best and yellow very close. My rain bike got painted the standard sky blue powdercoat, The 3M blue is that exact color. I have 10' of 1" blue tape on the bike. (I didn't know how close the tape would be when I ordered. I was very pleasantly surprised. Daytime you can barely see it. At night, the bike is very visible. Not bright; it is the low reflecting blue, but there is so much the bike is very visible.

Ben
I did quite a few searches and kept getting directed to cheap-o products on Amazon.

I then perused the user comments of products available on Amazon. One didn't stick to metal. Another wasn't very bright. Another had ridiculous shipping costs. And yet another wasn't even tape, it was cloth "in a really bright color."

The product at Lowe's was available, affordable, and best yet, I could pick up at the store, thus avoiding the shipping fees and hassles I've been having with UPS (long story).
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-11-20, 08:53 AM
rumrunn6

Tonight will be the first evening ride with the tape on my helmet and backpack. It will be interesting to see the results, if any.
how'd it go? good ride?
Old 01-11-20, 09:21 AM
parkbrav

Yeah, actually, a few cars behind me slowed down and a few cars ahead of me were waving me ahead, so I think they saw me at least.
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-11-20, 10:30 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
...a few cars ahead of me were waving me ahead...
I know this is off topic, but personally I almost never do this. On the bike...I feel safer behind cars than I do in front of them (day or night). And so, observing established traffic regulations and practices...if a car has the right of way, and they're politely yielding to me on the bike...I just stop and wait until they go. This has happened to me numerous times on narrow roads -- A driver signals for me to go ahead...then they're behind me without enough room to pass because of oncoming traffic. Now the driver that just politely yielded to me is pi$$ed off at me because I'm blocking them.

Dan
Old 01-11-20, 12:02 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I know this is off topic, but personally I almost never do this. On the bike...I feel safer behind cars than I do in front of them (day or night). And so, observing established traffic regulations and practices...if a car has the right of way, and they're politely yielding to me on the bike...I just stop and wait until they go. This has happened to me numerous times on narrow roads -- A driver signals for me to go ahead...then they're behind me without enough room to pass because of oncoming traffic. Now the driver that just politely yielded to me is pi$$ed off at me because I'm blocking them.

Dan
Hah, I get you, Dan. A few days ago a driver in the opposite direction motioned for me to take a left and suggested I hurry up. The only problem was that we were at a stop light and it was red.

I decided to put some reflective tape on all sides of my helmet, including the front. I put tape on the front because I figure in a snow storm an oncoming motorist might not be expecting a cyclist.

I agree, I try to cycle "behind" cars in my direction, primarily because when they sit behind me they can be in my blind spot. I feel like, with no evidence, that being in a cyclist's blind spot is much more dangerous than being in a motorist's (although it's still dangerous).
Old 01-11-20, 12:02 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Dan
I don't care if they're irritated. Any time I become seriously worried about a situation and I can safely do so, I stop and get out of the way and wait for everyone to clear out.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-11-20, 12:28 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Ooooh, reflective tape is fun! Any additional links to low-cost stuff that sticks to fabric or vinyl would be appreciated.

I bought some cheapo stuff at the X-mart to put on my messenger bag and it peeled right off. If I can stop being lazy, I might just try to find something at the Home Despot.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 01-11-20, 12:53 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Ooooh, reflective tape is fun! Any additional links to low-cost stuff that sticks to fabric or vinyl would be appreciated.

I bought some cheapo stuff at the X-mart to put on my messenger bag and it peeled right off. If I can stop being lazy, I might just try to find something at the Home Despot.
This is what I got: Reese Reflective Strips https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reese-Refle...trips/50437674

They are $8 and change at Lowe's. They are bigger than they look, I sliced them up with scissors and then applied.

I suggest reading the comments, they are fun!

The Mailbox has been hit 5x so now we have the strips ALL over it.
I have no idea how well they work in the rain, snow, etc. Again, I am short-term thinking this winter, and we've got less than 70 days to go until the official end of this season[QUOTE]
Old 01-11-20, 07:31 PM
rseeker

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Any time I become seriously worried about a situation and I can safely do so, I stop and get out of the way and wait for everyone to clear out.
Same here. I think that makes very good sense.
Old 01-13-20, 04:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I have reflective tape called Lightweights that you iron onto clothing. It's flexible. It's not the durablest (to coin a word) but I'm still satisfied. Available on Amazon and at fine stores everywhere.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 01-14-20, 08:40 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
+1 Lightweights

Love their spoke tape - (edit) BTW, I'm using the stealth black tape on the fork.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-14-20 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-14-20, 09:44 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I'm considering painting my velo orange, and using the reflective black tape to make it tiger striped. That would look pretty amazing at night, I think.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 01-14-20, 10:38 AM
parkbrav

Good idea re: the spoke tape. I have Monkey-electric on the spokes and I find they are sufficient illumination on the spokes

My yellow reflective tape is already peeling off the fabric although it adhered well onto my vinyl helmet
Old 01-14-20, 02:02 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
orange velo w/ reflective black tape to make it tiger striped. That would look pretty amazing at night
& during the day!

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-18-20, 07:21 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Stratus XPC Planet Bike Grateful Red Serfas Stop Sign by andyXchrist, on Flickr
RANS Stratus XPC Villsure Lumbar Support Pillow, Bamboo Charcoal Fiber by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Got these rolls of reflective tape from eBay in three different colors/patterns/widths to fit the indents on my kitty litter panniers. High-vis both day and night. It’s quite stiff so wouldn’t be great for clothes but sticks to smooth hard surfaces really well.

Previous owner of my RANS Stratus had inexpertly affixed some kind of hexagonal patterned reflective tape on the fork that was so rigid it couldn’t conform to the curves and stuck out all over but was so strongly adhesive I still haven’t been able to pry off every last bit.
Likes For andychrist:
Old 01-18-20, 08:34 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
This tape has worked great. Thin enough to bend around curves and irregular surfaces and wrap around things and will stay on for years. It doesn't have a hard plastic layer like most of the 3M variants that will curl eventually on anything not flat. I've never used it on clothes or material.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUDQQ0H/

Last edited by u235; 01-18-20 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-21-20, 08:24 AM
parkbrav

The other day I mentioned the Red and White Reese Reflective Strips from Lowes:

Reese Reflective Strips https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reese-Refle...trips/50437674

Well, it's been about 10 days of some cold weather and I can report that they are still adhering to fabric (my gym bag) and to my vinyl helmet
Likes For parkbrav: