Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

If you could only have 1 gravel tire

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 12:48 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

From Georgia clay, to KS Flint, to CO, to OR to NM, to AZ, and CA dust

Which Gravel tire would you pick?

Right now for Multi Use including pavement, I am thinking tubeless 700x40 MSO
Old 05-27-20, 12:59 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

You'd be riding a unicycle!

Sorry, I'll show myself to the door...
Old 05-27-20, 02:35 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Continental Terra Speed or Terra Trail
Likes For vinuneuro:
Old 05-27-20, 03:54 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 474 Posts
The MSO is a nice tire. I also like the Terrene Elwoods.
Old 05-27-20, 04:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I replaced my 40mm MSOs with Compass (Rene Herse) 38mm Steilacooms.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...38-steilacoom/

Major upgrade.

I use only those and Barlow Pass (the 38mm slick).
Old 05-27-20, 04:39 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
WTB Venture. But I ride in SoCal, so I have no idea how it does it less dry/harsh conditions. Might collect mud. But it's great everywhere here, from pavement to rocky singletrack, to loose sandy crap. And I noticed no penalty on the road when I switched to them from the Byways FWIW.
Old 05-27-20, 05:48 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
WTB Resolute is my do-it-all. Rolls decently fast, hooks up well.
Old 05-27-20, 06:46 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Terra Speed. No doubt.
Old 05-28-20, 05:30 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by wgscott
I replaced my 40mm MSOs with Compass (Rene Herse) 38mm Steilacooms.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...38-steilacoom/

Major upgrade.

I use only those and Barlow Pass (the 38mm slick).
see there you go ruining my 1 tire argument. (not a bad thing by the way)

However that does bring up another question are you running the Barlow pass tubeless?
Old 05-28-20, 07:39 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
see there you go ruining my 1 tire argument. (not a bad thing by the way)

However that does bring up another question are you running the Barlow pass tubeless?
I haven't run either of them tubeless, for two reasons:

(1) I am lazy, and the only tires of mine that go flat are the tubeless ones on a mountain bike, and I hate having to pour fluids into tires every couple of months.

(2) Compass tires aren't great as tubeless. The sidewalls weep (or so I hear). I also haven't had any problems with flats. They now offer their own sealant that supposedly works better than Stans or Orange Seal with those tires. (If I ever did go tubeless, I probably would start with the Steilacooms).

There is a huge overlap with the capabilities of the tires, and I could probably have gotten away with just the Barlow Pass for much of my off-road (and all of my on-road) riding. Similarly, you don't pay a huge penalty for the treads on the Steilacooms when you are on-road.

The Steilacooms were my "one tire for gravel" answer, BTW.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-28-20, 10:35 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by wgscott
I haven't run either of them tubeless, for two reasons:

(1) I am lazy, and the only tires of mine that go flat are the tubeless ones on a mountain bike, and I hate having to pour fluids into tires every couple of months.

(2) Compass tires aren't great as tubeless. The sidewalls weep (or so I hear). I also haven't had any problems with flats. They now offer their own sealant that supposedly works better than Stans or Orange Seal with those tires. (If I ever did go tubeless, I probably would start with the Steilacooms).

There is a huge overlap with the capabilities of the tires, and I could probably have gotten away with just the Barlow Pass for much of my off-road (and all of my on-road) riding. Similarly, you don't pay a huge penalty for the treads on the Steilacooms when you are on-road.

The Steilacooms were my "one tire for gravel" answer, BTW.
So basically I don't think there will be a 1 tire answer for me. I am fine with that. Going to do some traveling, and I plan to hit multiple Locations in the US
Old 05-28-20, 11:28 AM
shoota 

So basically I don't think there will be a 1 tire answer for me. I am fine with that. Going to do some traveling, and I plan to hit multiple Locations in the US
Terra Speed
Old 05-28-20, 12:27 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by shoota
Terra Speed
If they ride like the Race Kings MTB tires.... I might not like them. fast but the Race kings on Ohio Hard packed dirt single track just felt squirmy to me.

I took my 60 tpi MSO off my Trek crossrip because It saw more pavement than gravel. the 30 mm 28 gp4000 was fast, but after a cut sidewall commuting in the dark, I replaced with a panaracer pasela. Now we have the GP5000 tubeless 32, but I think I would opt for the barlow pass or snoqulmie, more volume vs the 32 gp5000.

However for the Goathead territory I want tubeless, and also want a tire for pavement/gravel. thus I'd probably opt for the panaracer GK slick + tubless over the Rene Herse.

So in a round about way Leaves the question how are the Terra speed on Pavement?

I am also thinking one tire for all.... is a fools errand.
Old 05-28-20, 12:49 PM
shoota 

If they ride like the Race Kings MTB tires.... I might not like them. fast but the Race kings on Ohio Hard packed dirt single track just felt squirmy to me.

I took my 60 tpi MSO off my Trek crossrip because It saw more pavement than gravel. the 30 mm 28 gp4000 was fast, but after a cut sidewall commuting in the dark, I replaced with a panaracer pasela. Now we have the GP5000 tubeless 32, but I think I would opt for the barlow pass or snoqulmie, more volume vs the 32 gp5000.

However for the Goathead territory I want tubeless, and also want a tire for pavement/gravel. thus I'd probably opt for the panaracer GK slick + tubless over the Rene Herse.

So in a round about way Leaves the question how are the Terra speed on Pavement?

I've never ridden the Race King MTB tires but we have hard packed dirt roads here too and squirmy is never a word that entered my mind. "Fast" "Grippy" "Light" - those words entered my mind.
I also ride them on a fair amount of pavement and was shocked at how fast they were. Only slightly less fast than a proper road tire but obviously much wider and smoother.
Old 05-28-20, 01:48 PM
gravelslider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Vittoria Terreno Dry. Really fast on both road & gravel. hooks up in everything but slimy mud. Durable too. If not then Rene Herse. 650b of course.
Old 05-28-20, 02:54 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I've been riding them on pavement all year (well, its been a short season so far). Really, they are a lot like the G-One Alround. Maybe a little faster, a little smoother, a little smaller, a little better looking. Definitely tougher than the Ramblers they replaced.

Ramblers really are a near perfect light tire with a little tread. Doesn't sound like you need the lightest tire around.
Old 05-28-20, 03:08 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by chas58
I've been riding them on pavement all year (well, its been a short season so far). Really, they are a lot like the G-One Alround. Maybe a little faster, a little smoother, a little smaller, a little better looking. Definitely tougher than the Ramblers they replaced.

Ramblers really are a near perfect light tire with a little tread. Doesn't sound like you need the lightest tire around.

maybe I should just 650b it with a GK SS ... all based covered. Plenty of bike shops across the USA to buy something different
Old 05-28-20, 03:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In my admittedly limited experience, the Hutchinson Overide has been exceptional on everything except sand. But then again, I've never really ridden on a tire wide enough to manage sand.

I've ridden those tires in all manner of conditions, and they never complain. Very good road mileage, as well.
Old 05-28-20, 04:28 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Maxxis Rambler tubeless 40mm has been a great tire. Rolls reasonably well on pavement, great on gravel, great on trails with loose dirt, and very durable.
Likes For jp911:
Old 05-29-20, 07:52 PM
nellborg

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm liking the G-One Allround in 40c for road and light gravel if I could only pick one tire. I was running the Terra Speeds, but seem to prefer the Allrounds - not sure why, though. The Allrounds are slightly larger volume by 1 or 2 mm. Both are very similar and can't go wrong with either.

I also have Barlow Pass's on another set of wheels in Extralight casing. I run them tubeless and have about 1500 miles on them, about half on dirt/gravel and the other half on pavement. They did weep slightly on initial setup with Orange Seal Endurance but set up fine after another day of riding and another ounce or so of sealant. They ride differently than anything else and sort of like a nice quality tubular.
Old 05-30-20, 07:57 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by nellborg
I'm liking the G-One Allround in 40c for road and light gravel if I could only pick one tire. I was running the Terra Speeds, but seem to prefer the Allrounds - not sure why, though. The Allrounds are slightly larger volume by 1 or 2 mm. Both are very similar and can't go wrong with either.

I also have Barlow Pass's on another set of wheels in Extralight casing. I run them tubeless and have about 1500 miles on them, about half on dirt/gravel and the other half on pavement. They did weep slightly on initial setup with Orange Seal Endurance but set up fine after another day of riding and another ounce or so of sealant. They ride differently than anything else and sort of like a nice quality tubular.
Absolutely! The Rene Herse (Compass) tires are really something else. As close to a tubular I will get to in the future. I have ridden tubulars in the past and loved the ride but hated tha hassle. RH is one of the best, but maybe not if you have a lot of sharp stuff like Dirty Kansa, or a lot of wet mud.
Old 06-03-20, 06:57 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Currently running the Vittoria Terreno Dry in 650x47 and they have really surprised me with how well they roll and their off-road grip especially in wet grass/light mud. I assume that the 700c versions would perform just as well.
Old 06-04-20, 03:57 PM
DavidfGR

Bikes: Santa Cruz - Stigmata

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Terra Speed is also my favorite 700c tire. Fast of an on road, supple, and grip for days.
Old 06-06-20, 04:30 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
G-One All Around only goes up to 38mm, doesn't it?
Old 06-07-20, 05:56 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
I've got Vittoria Terreno Dry 40mm I've only done one 55km ride on them and think there a great tire but they did feel sluggish on road. Saying that though I'm use to 25 to 20mm road race tires haha and was running 35- 40psi. Impressive grip though off road and railing high speed turns on the black top. My only other experience with gravel style tires are Sammy Slicks in 35mm. They were fast fast on road but that was in a time when high pressures were the norm too.