Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

New to biking

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

New to biking

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 03:10 PM
Dajester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to biking

My wife and I are looking into getting bikes and starting to get out more into nature. we are looking into getting new bikes that work on both trails and riding on the street. This is completely new to me and its over whelming how many type of bikes there are now. I'm willing to spend anything from 500 to 1000. I heard of a few brands that are great but I have also been told that your paying for the name. If anyone has any suggestions for a newbie let me know and thank you.
Old 05-27-20, 05:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Not so much paying for a name, but paying what it cost to keep a local bike shop in business. Though if you buy a bike online, the local bike shop will still be glad to build or service it for you. Just won't help the current business model stay in business, IMO if everyone keeps going for the online bikes.

The bikes at the local bike shops are almost always pretty good bikes. When you get to know more about cycling, you'll begin to understand the differences that make some willing to pay 12,000 or more for them. It definitely isn't name that makes the difference in that instance. Nothing wrong with 500.00 bikes though, you just have to pick a price you are willing to pay and go for it.

For very casual leisurely riding, I'd even be happy with a bike from the big box discount stores. But you have to know how to do your own maintenance or pay a real bike shop to check it out before you do any real riding. The big box stores, even the big box sporting goods stores, typically don't have real experienced persons assembling them.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-27-20 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-28-20, 10:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
When we started riding road bikes, we bought inexpensive used bikes, I think ~$100 each. Of all the things one needs to go riding, which bike is the least important. Most important: helmet, clothes, shoes, Once you start riding, you'll see a lot of bikes and learn a lot about what you really need in a bike. Then sell those, get more suitable used bikes if desired. Ride those for another year, then maybe buy new.