Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 11-03-05, 05:57 PM
rozwado1

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale R800 Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
225lb, 6'3". Just bought a bike because I moved to Florida from Michigan and I'd rather do my cardio outside. I work out regularly and hold a 7-9% bf level.

I ride a 2003 Cannondale R800.
Old 11-03-05, 06:11 PM
cyclesematic
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Habanero Titamium Team, Cannondale Criterium, Team Fuji Time Trial, Specialized Stumpjumper, Little 500 Roadmaster, Schwinn Prelude (1st bike), Schwinn 754 (2nd bike), Marinoni Time Trial Bike, K2 Enemy Cyclocross Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corcis
Cyclesematic: Details? I'm new to the road bike subtypes, but I'll give it a go: Double chainring, single rear cog (derailler, not horizontal dropouts), the headset and frame angles look kind of like a trackbike of some sort. The wheels, 700c in the rear and 650c in front? And what kind of handlebars are those? It looks like a fun ride!

?80's vintage Fuji time trial bike aka. "funny bike." 700c Cosmic Elite rear wheel with 650c front wheel built on a 105 hub and a Rigida rim. I'm using a 12-21 8 spd Dura-Ace setup (Crankset, shifters, brakes, etc), Cinelli stem and Nitto bars.

I just ride if for fun sometimes when I feel like a change of pace. It's very different from the regular road geometry (read: very low and fast).

Other bikes in the stable:
56cm Habanero Team edition, mixture of 8 & 9 speed Dura-Ace parts, Profile BRC fork (recently cracked), Speedplay pedals. Oh, if you like wide bars, try the Titec Malones; very wide and comfy.

56cm Marinoni built from Columbus SLX with Dura-Ace mixture.

56cm 80s Cannondale Criterium for a beater. Heavy and fast.

56cm IRO Mark V. Building it tomorrow night!!

Misc other stuff....
Old 11-03-05, 06:13 PM
Eyeseeu
Vintage Punk, w/ Damage

Bikes: Giant OCR Limited, Planet-X Carbon TT, 70's Paris Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Former Clydesdale here- i '03 I was 5'11" 240, now I am down to 188. I hope to be around 170 by January. Oh yeah and as a small boned person, my weight is/was largely fat. At 240 I was 34% BFI.
Old 11-03-05, 06:35 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rozwado1
225lb, 6'3". Just bought a bike because I moved to Florida from Michigan and I'd rather do my cardio outside. I work out regularly and hold a 7-9% bf level.

I ride a 2003 Cannondale R800.

Hey.... How's Melbourne FL treating ya? I used to live there up til '01.
Old 11-03-05, 06:53 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'4", 240. Bought an Atlantis three years ago, and I LOVE it--but I was down at the Rivendell shop this spring and they had a 64cm Rambouillet, an ex-demo bike, built up with 105 components for $1000, and I snapped it up. Now the Rambo's set up for smooth roads (32mm tires, lightish wheels etc) and the Atlantis has big hunk wheels, 37mm tires and a Carradice saddle bag. Both use Brooks B-17 saddles and barcon shifters, in friction mode, just because I like them. And I'm going home tonight and put fenders on the Atlantis for the winter.
Old 11-03-05, 07:06 PM
Sharpknife
Experienced Newbie

Bikes: TREK 1000C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclesematic
?80's vintage Fuji time trial bike aka. "funny bike." 700c Cosmic Elite rear wheel with 650c front wheel built on a 105 hub and a Rigida rim. I'm using a 12-21 8 spd Dura-Ace setup (Crankset, shifters, brakes, etc), Cinelli stem and Nitto bars.

I just ride if for fun sometimes when I feel like a change of pace. It's very different from the regular road geometry (read: very low and fast).

Other bikes in the stable:
56cm Habanero Team edition, mixture of 8 & 9 speed Dura-Ace parts, Profile BRC fork (recently cracked), Speedplay pedals. Oh, if you like wide bars, try the Titec Malones; very wide and comfy.

56cm Marinoni built from Columbus SLX with Dura-Ace mixture.

56cm 80s Cannondale Criterium for a beater. Heavy and fast.

56cm IRO Mark V. Building it tomorrow night!!

Misc other stuff....

cyclesematic,

Cool bike, I was in your fare city last month. Pretty nice place.
Old 11-03-05, 08:21 PM
cyclesematic
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Habanero Titamium Team, Cannondale Criterium, Team Fuji Time Trial, Specialized Stumpjumper, Little 500 Roadmaster, Schwinn Prelude (1st bike), Schwinn 754 (2nd bike), Marinoni Time Trial Bike, K2 Enemy Cyclocross Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharpknife
cyclesematic,

Cool bike, I was in your fare city last month. Pretty nice place.
I moved up here a little less than 1 year ago. I'm working at Caterpillar. This is a great place to ride. Nice people and quite organized as far as rides go.

Next time you come, bring your bike.
Old 11-04-05, 10:39 AM
Chicocreole

Bikes: Old Steel?, Currently building up a sweet Deda Aluminum Carbon frame that I will break as soon as it is done!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5'10 208.4 LBS 12% Bodyfat

I probably would have left the 200 Lbs category if I wasn't so into weight training a long time ago but I plan on hitting 190 by the end of the year getting down to about 8% BodyFat.

If do get down to 190 yeah it will suck because I wont be a Clydesdale any longer but I will then be a member of the "That Guys F%$king Ripped Club" an I believe that club has better benefits
Old 11-04-05, 10:41 AM
Chicocreole

Bikes: Old Steel?, Currently building up a sweet Deda Aluminum Carbon frame that I will break as soon as it is done!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah for those interested in tracking their healthy lifestyle here is a link to a great website:
https://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...er=chicocreole
Old 11-04-05, 10:59 PM
Looneytuna
Every day is a good day!

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac, 2005 Seven Elium, 1989 Cannondale R600, 1973 Raleigh Supercourse, 2007 Electra Ratrod 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still a clydesdale but not giving up.. 202 6'1" down from 231 a year ago.. Been down to 199 but couldn't stay below the 200..
Old 11-04-05, 11:33 PM
Corcis
Beer-fueled

Bikes: Giant Rincon (199x), 2005 Trek 1000, 19?? "Apollo Sport 10" by Kuwahara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclesematic: Whenever I'm on here, I always find myself wandering back to the Clydes thread to look at your bike. I guess I should set a goal and have something like that as a reward...
Old 11-06-05, 03:39 PM
SteveAZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6' and 205ish. I've only lost 5-10#'s and been back at it for a little over 3 months or 2348 miles. So I think the weight is just moving around as my clothes are definitely a bit more loose. On the same hand I don't deprive my body of the nutrients it needs to perform so I guess I'll just let it sort itself out.

I ride 3 bikes, a Fetish Position fixed gear with 32 hole Mavics/formula hubs. A mountain bike with Sun rims and Nuke Proof hubs (can't remember the other specifics), and a Giant TCR that had some POS wheels and just got a set of R550's. I really like to sprint and get the bike swinging back and forth and everything has done fine except those POS's.

I don't understand the climbing issue people are talking about. Bigger is typically stronger??? and skinny/aero isn't as much of an advantage? I personally climb fairly well and do decent on the flats, just don't quite have the stamina in the long haul at high speeds as I found out yesterday
Old 11-06-05, 09:14 PM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy this is some thread! I am 6'2" and about 210. I was 230lbs nine months ago, but a few miles have helped to change that. I have not ridden like I wanted in the last month and can feel me getting fatter... the issue in weight is, I put on leg muscle while I am taking off fat... so my weight does not change dramatically. So while I am getting fat again, my legs are getting smaller.

I went out for a 32 miler today... and hope this is the jump start I need to get focused again. I love trying to loose weight this time of year... Halloween Candy, then Thanksgiving food, followed by loads of Christmas Parties and New Year candy... a total challenge. Eating right decent during the holidays, to me, is like trying to do a century... quite a challenge.

I started riding to loose weight. Then my little motorcycle racing buddies started to smoke me... so now I want to get down to 180 ish and race!!

I ride a couple bikes, but my favorite is a 2005 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged. The 928L is an all Carbon Frame with Campy Record Group. If I put my Carbon Campagnolo Bora Wheels on the bike it weighs 16.4 lbs! So scoff to all those who think us big guys can't ride Carbon or have light stuff. I won't go to Ti peddles or Ti Skewers, but 16.4 with a 61CM frame is great in my opinion!
Old 11-06-05, 10:01 PM
Lone_rider

Bikes: Norco and Devinci both are canadian made

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI 6.6" and 270 lbs

I ride a Devinci hybrid for my summer commuter and never had a problem with wheels goin out of true Mavic XP 21'S they probly are low end rims but in three years have never had a problem. Hope to lose this winter trying to become a stronger rider (and lighter). Sorry no picture to large to upload ( any way to make it smaller? )

Last edited by Lone_rider; 11-13-05 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-07-05, 11:07 AM
diddidit

Bikes: Black Ruby, Big Red, and a nameless Schwinn MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, fellow gravity-enhanced riders! Doncha love going down hills?

I'm 6'2" or so, and spent this past summer in the 230s despite over 2500 miles on my '04 Specialized Roubaix Pro. My beloved bike is currently out of commision - after doing the JDRF Asheville century on October 8, I found cracks in my rear rim (DA WH-7800). It's in to Shimano for warranty replacement. I'm sure my weight did a lot of the damage, but I also have some pretty craptastic West Michigan roads that I need to learn to stay away from. I'm planning on a set of stronger wheels for next year either way; the Velocity Nuvians look pretty nice.

I was pretty pleased with my fitness this year despite the lack of weight loss; I managed the hills around Asheville OK despite my double crank and lack of equivalent hills to train on. I certainly didn't keep much track of my diet. Next year, maybe wheel preservation will give me some better motivation to drop another 20 pounds or so. Seeing this made my heart skip:

did
Old 11-07-05, 11:29 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadracer13

I ride a couple bikes, but my favorite is a 2005 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged. The 928L is an all Carbon Frame with Campy Record Group. If I put my Carbon Campagnolo Bora Wheels on the bike it weighs 16.4 lbs! So scoff to all those who think us big guys can't ride Carbon or have light stuff. I won't go to Ti peddles or Ti Skewers, but 16.4 with a 61CM frame is great in my opinion!
I'd love to see some pictures of that 928L!!! I agree, big guys can ride the good stuff too!
Old 11-07-05, 03:49 PM
Jet-man

Bikes: '06 Six13 DA, 180s, 140 0 stack stem, KEOs: MTB is SC Superlight XT/SRAM/Avid Jucy/F100x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. Greetings folks. I'm new here, ex Cat 1 racer (183 back in the day) now I'm between 205-215 depending upon how much I'm lifting weights. 6'4" and well below 10% bf.

Riding an '06 Cannondale Six13 - DA 10, 180 cranks, 140 zero stack -6 stem, SL wheels & Keos. Love it big time. I'll work on posting a pic here soon.

Nice to see some big guys.
Old 11-07-05, 08:37 PM
Motophoto
UberClydesdale

Bikes: Klein,Panasonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crack is for crackheads . Here is a photo of the type cracks I am dealing with, I would like to think its because of the age of the rim (not mine) but my weight probably has had something to do with it. The Araya Aero One rim is soon to be replaced by a Araya Areo 4 rim that is going to be better I hope .
Old 11-08-05, 02:24 AM
RidgeRunner

Bikes: Trek 4300, pimped out.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5'11", out of shape, 205lbs. Measured body fat at 23 percent a few years ago when I was in much worse shape.

Wonder what it is now.

Here's what I ride on pavement: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...23#post1781023

Also have a KHS full squish for trails, and a Trek hardtail for getting around on.
Old 11-08-05, 02:48 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,

I am 6'6", currently 238, was down to 220 for racing season, my goal is 195 which is the lowest possable weight I can be at. I have no upper body weight gain due to muscles (can not maintain them). Even at say 205 or so I will still be a cylsdale.... I hope to be down around 225 - 230 ish for christmas, and by summer be at my goal weight... although because of fat accumilation in other areas that are not under my control (glad to have it though) I will not be under 12 percent body fat though...

I ride a 2100 in 63 cm with lots of lite parts... no problems.

And I am not 5' 100 pounds so you can draft off of me...

Mandy
Old 11-08-05, 05:23 AM
javna_golina
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 184cm and 91kg after dinner, or a little over 6 foot tall and a little under 201 pounds. I am overweight, though in my defence, I have quite a stocky build, with wide hips and shoulders. I imagine at my ideal weight I'd be around 185lbs, so no longer a clydesdale.

I've only just started cycling again after a couple of months hiatus, and I'm making a conscience effort to cut back on the junk food, and drinking lots of water, hopefully it goes well. I'm 17, turning 18 in a few weeks.
Old 11-08-05, 09:02 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I went from 5'11" 208 lbs on April 1 of 2005 to 162lbs. as of this AM. After not cycling for 5 years due to a massive medical cluster f*** that I will probably post as a separate thread here - in large part because some other members may learn a thing or two that could potentially help them. That's more weight than I ever lost before - and I'm actually a bit lighter than I was when I raced regularly from 1991-1999. Hoping to race again.

With no offense intended towards the Clydesdales here (I'm impressed at how well some of you big guys can ride/climb, really), it's very good not to be one anymore. When I started riding again I was about 195+, and I can tell you that dragging 30+ lbs. more than I currently weigh up the hills around here was a bit much. I actually had to telephone my wife (thank god for cellphones) to sag wagon me home a few times in May. I live on a hill which sucks so hard I've nicknamed it Mt. Doom - and I have made it up without spousal assistance EVERY day since the end of May : ).

In the ultimate concession to age (despite my weight loss) and Mt. Doom I currently ride a 12-25 cluster. This after starting when I moved here with an 11-21 and eventually surrendering to a 12-23. But there are times I need that 25 to get up Mt. Doom after 50-60+ hard miles. 1 mile of 350' vertical gain with 15-16%+ grades. And the worst part is the last half mile. Oh well. We have nice views : ).
Old 11-09-05, 12:02 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'1" hanging around 225lbs. I have muscular/athletic build. I played football through college. The chances of me getting out of the clydesdale class are very slim. That would mean getting lighter that I've been since high school. Plus, my wife has protested the thought of me getting down into the skinny class.

Last winter I built up a S-Works frame. Last week I scored an old GT frame off ebay. Gonna build up a commuter around town bike this winter...
Old 11-09-05, 12:00 PM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is me at last months Seagull. I was 208 (6ft 0in tall) that day. Hopefully i wont be long for the clydesdale world (no offense meant). I started the Summer at 250+ riding that same 8 year old IF. The lighter i get, the better it goes!

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 11-09-05, 05:33 PM
bullethead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took up riding in the 80's for fun on Fuji road bike... was skinny then. Enjoyed running more at the time, but body couldn't take it. Dabbled in jogging and swimming over the years, got back on the bike steady with goal of first century, plus fat guy article in BICYCLING mag.Keeping myself in shape so I don't have an MI while SCUBA diving(man that gear is heavy) Started commuting to work a couple days a week just to see if I could do it, and thumb my nose at 3.39 prices at the gas pump at the time. Recently bought Raleigh SC30 for comfort purposes commuting 30 miles RT, been modifying it as I go along. 210lbs and almost 5'9". What can I say- I like to eat

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.