Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Today, I Wore...

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Today, I Wore...

Old 11-19-19, 08:07 AM
H.Franco

Bikes: Charlescen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Portis
To compliment the "winter clothing guide" sticky I thought it would be good to build a "database" thread that simply says, I wore X today at Y temperature. It might also be good to note sky and wind conditions as well as duration of ride.

This would be a very handy reference for beginners as well as veterans. Please keep your replies strictly to the requested information. Simply reply with what you wore, and what the conditions were. DO NOT insert other rhetoric about your ride today, or your new tires, or lights or any of that jazz. This is simply what you wore in what conditions.

Today I wore:

Head:

Helmet, Ear band, Lightweight Balaclava

Torso

Performance Winter Cycling Jersey, Lightweight unlined vest, Performance Gore Tex Cycling jacket.

Legs

Nashbar Epic Cycling shorts, Foxwear Powershield tights.

Feet.

Defeet midweight Merino Wool socks, Heavy pair of wool socks from Walmart.
For shoes I wore a pair of size 12 Wolverine, Thinsulate hiking boots. (I normally wear a size 11. Bigger sizes allow for warmer feet.)

Hands

LIghtweight fleece gloves from Target, Heavy weight Thinsulate convertible mittens from Walmart.

Conditions

22 F, North wind 10 mph. Started out in the dark. After sunrise sky was clear. Rode 1 hour 32 minutes. (20 miles)

Notes:
Removed vest 3 miles into ride. Too hot.
Today I wore:
- Lightweight Balaclava
- Performance Gore Tex Cycling jacket
- Foxwear Powershield tights
- Heavy pair of wool socks from Ustradeent
- Lightweight fleece gloves from Target
Old 11-19-19, 11:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I have a new clothing challenge. Not only do I want to stay warm on my commute, but the college I attend is overheated, so I need to be cool after I arrive. Not only that, there are no lockers, so I have to carry everything throughout the day. One day, I had to use the men's room to remove an inner layer because I was so damned hot.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.