Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What personal things have drivers done to you while cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What personal things have drivers done to you while cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 05:47 PM
AdelaaR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gerundium
is that actually possible
Oh yes!
There are numerous roads around here where the road itself is new tarmac, but the cycle path next to it is still the old concrete one from before, with holes and cracks all over it.
Those are often extremely dangerous to ride on.
People should sue their municipalities over these things, but people (including me) simply can't be bothered and so we just ride on the side of road.
Car drivers, in their ignorance, sometimes honk at me to tell me to ride on those things ... I just wave at them pretending to have recognized them.
Old 03-03-13, 06:31 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I just remembered that last year I was passed, on a country road with no oncoming traffic (or traffic at all really) with literally inches to spare by a van with numerous pro-life bumper stickers. The juxtaposition of their heartfelt concern for the life of zygotes, and their complete lack of concern for the life of a contributing member of society with a couple of rugrats of my own, simultaneously enraged and amused me.
Old 03-03-13, 07:08 PM
aggst1

Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Last year I was going up a very steep hill and naturally going very slow but managing a steady speed on the shoulder of the road. A van drives by and the driver yells "pump it, pump it, is that all you got? " as he passed me. A couple of miles later I saw the same van on the side of the road with a flat right rear tire... Although I wanted to say something smart and keep going, I stopped and asked him if he needs anything. The guy was older and very obese... To the point that needed help to change the tire... I helped him and he was very thankful.

On a different occasion, I was changing a flat on my bike on the side of a country road in the middle of nowhere. It was on Thanksgiving day. An older guy from a nearby home yells out to me to see if I need anything. I politely said no thanks and proceeded to patch my tube. A few minutes later the guy comes over with a thermal carafe full of coffee and a bottle of orange juice. He says, care for some coffee? as he poured a cup for himself. I said no thanks, and he said orange juice? I ended up having a small bottle of oj with the guy and chatted for about 15 minutes and was happy to have met him. As I was leaving I realized that he was all alone, even on the holidays...

So to summarize, I only have had positive experiences so far.

Last edited by aggst1; 03-03-13 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-03-13, 08:30 PM
ticktockpedal

Bikes: Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lots of people who will buzz you too close intentionally or not. saw a pickup loaded with wood drive too close to a rider a few yards ahead of me and a pine log or trunk sticking out almost lopped his head off. limping back from a crash with my jersey/bib shredded and leg road-rashed nicely, motorist tells me "you're a f-ing a-hole!" abbreviations mine. the really pleasant ones seem to appear with the weakness, road rash, chum-in-the-water type scenarios. it happens.
Old 03-04-13, 05:20 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Been squeezed off the road, never had anything thrown at me, been yelled at, honked at, normal stuff I guess. Last year had some ahole do an emergency brake in front of brother in law and myself. Thought was going to turn into a fight till I took phone out and started taking pictures of his car and plate. He got real appolijetic then.
Old 03-04-13, 05:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
That happened to me a lot when I was in Paris, using the Vélib' bike-sharing system to get around. Drivers seemed to assume that a bicyclist would know where everything was. Often I could help, but not when they wanted directions to the highway!
Some drivers do seem to think that if you're on a bicycle, you can't be far from home, and you must know everything in the area.

I've had a few get a little miffed when I say that I haven't the faintest idea where such-and-such a road is because I'm just a visitor.

But on one occasion the driver and I had a bit of a laugh ... I was standing at a roundabout in England, the first time I went there, with my bicycle and a map spread across my handlebar bag, trying to figure out where I was and where I should be going. The driver pulled up and asked me if I knew where a particular town was and should he go right or left. I had a couple seconds to stare blankly at him before he noticed I was pouring over a map and suddenly realised I didn't know where I was or where I was going either. It was then his question struck him funny too and we had a laugh about it. He pulled over and we had a good look at the map, and together we were able to figure out where each of us was going.
Old 03-04-13, 06:49 AM
campylover

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse SL with Campy Record 10sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When stationed at Ft. Campbell I was riding to a friends house off post on some back road. A pick up drove by me and a Bud bottle came sailing by my head. At home I get the "get on the sidewalk!" now and then. Stationed in Germany was great for riding. No one was a jerk, some would wave at me as they drove by.
Old 03-04-13, 08:38 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Chics on the passenger side are constantly mushing their hoo-hahs up against the window as they pass me.

I suppose I am asking for it, since the back of my jersey says, "Please mush your hoo-hahs up against the window as you pass me."
Old 03-04-13, 09:21 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Surprisingly for FL I have had very little direct harassment. However, this thread reminded me of the creepiest thing that happened to me while riding. Many years ago, back in the late 80’s, I used to ride on a long empty road on the outside edge of the county (it is now filled in with developments and strip malls, but that’s another issue). Anyways I was on my way back when a Camaro pulls up with a young lady driver and male passenger. They start asking me what I’m doing, where I’m going etc. I’m trying to be polite, but I’m thinking what’s with the small talk I’m trying to get a ride in here. Then out of the blue she ask if I’ve ever been ***** (I’m male btw). The way she said it and the reaction of the her male passenger was really sinister. I gave a nervous laugh and told them that it was time for me to get back to riding. They drove off, but I never felt more alone on the way home.
Old 03-04-13, 09:23 AM
kaisersling
An un-oiled squeaky wheel

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo, Mercian King of Mercia (Floppy); Fuji 500X; GT backwoods; Tour de Suisse; Diamond Back Interval

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The time I got run over. Well, I didn't technically get run over. It was more like I got run into at speed. As I saw the black vacant eyes of the man behind the wheel of his brand new Audi A4 turning into me, I thought "this is it". And it was, if you define "it" as a bent wheelset and a miniscule scratch on my pinky toe. You shoulda seen the other guy.... that car would never be the same.

Last edited by kaisersling; 03-04-13 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-04-13, 09:46 AM
Will G

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 35 Posts
Had a few brush passes. While motoring at a pretty good clip on a downhill, I had a dump truck pull out in front of me requiring heavy braking and evasive action on my part. He stopped and apologized. People routinely wait and wave me through 4 way stop intersections. Excess civility runs rampant around here. I think I could use a little less civility and more hoo-hah flashing. Where is this happening and how do I get there?
Old 03-04-13, 09:55 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this happened yesterday -

in bike lane with full right of way, slight down hill going between 20-25mph, coasting. In opposite direction are two sheriff patrol cars. The first one makes the left turn across the lane to go the freeway on ramp. He either didn't see me or didn't think i was going that fast. But he was too close and I had to slam on my brakes, and turn right on to the on ramp to avoid t-ing up his car. I wound up going about 20 meters up the on ramp. He had shocked 'oh sh***t, my bad' look on his face. The patrol car behind him yelled out sorry. So that happened.
Old 03-04-13, 10:10 AM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot summer day, Im pretty overheated, a car full of kids slows down next to me and two kids lean out and blast me good with supersoakers. It caught me off guard but after the surprise wore off I was like "damn that feels good". My next thought was "damn I hope that's just water".

On a tour, loaded down, end of a long day starting up a hill and a guy coming down in a pickup truck sticks his fist in the air and gives out a blood curdling rebel yell. I had a feeling that it was going to be a long hard climb. It was.
Old 03-04-13, 10:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
When I was riding my bike up to Sunrise (highest paved road in the state, on the side of Mount Rainier) somebody went by me, going down a hill, in a pickup truck. After about 100 yards, the guy stopped, then backed up to meet me, and gave me an icy cold bottle of water from his cooler, saying I had earned it by making it so far up the mountain.
Old 03-04-13, 10:40 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
Chics on the passenger side are constantly mushing their hoo-hahs up against the window as they pass me.

I suppose I am asking for it, since the back of my jersey says, "Please mush your hoo-hahs up against the window as you pass me."
I'd buy that jersey.

Similar to the sticker on the back of tractor trailers: "Hooter check 53 feet ahead."
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-04-13, 11:04 AM
MrCharlie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time my father and I went on tour was a disaster. This was before either of us was serious about cycling. I was riding a frame three sizes too big, etc. The first night we didn't make it to the hotel until 3:00 am due to bonking, mechanicals, etc. Around 1:00 we were on a terrible gravel road near Howell, MI, and a car full of high school looking kids passed us, came back from the other direction and drove past, turned around again, passed again, and so on. We figured they were about to do something terrible to us. Instead, they pulled alongside and asked if we knew anything about an abandoned women's prison nearby. Never figured that one out.
Old 03-04-13, 11:40 AM
rdtindsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two that come to mind.

Friend and I were training in small town NE near Omaha one winter evening dark, riding near edge of lane. There was parking to right; I don't remember whether we were actually on edge of traffic lane, or in parking area, we had lights. Car pulls up and high school kid leans whole torso out the window yelling at us to get off the road, probably a few obscenities in there. My friend chases them into the parking lot of high school. They pull head in to the curb; my friend pulls up to window and starts reading them the riot act.

I had followed my friend merely to provide support in case things started to get really ugly and was stopped about a foot behind the car, leaning on bars with forearms. Absolutely non-aggresive, and there were cars in line behind us. Driver of car is high school girl and decided to end the situation by leaving, backing into me and mashing my front wheel. Cops called - he tells the girl that as driver she has responsibility for the behavior of people in her car and confirmed our right to the road. I got a slap on the wrist that I should have been more careful.

Was on a small group training ride near Ft. Worth doing a century or better part there of. We had just gone down into a little dip across a wooded creek when someone yelled up at us from the bottom of the embankment, asking us if we wanted a beer. Thought it was just someone being snarky, so we kept going. A few minutes later, this old pickup that can only be found in the South pulls up beside us. Someone was leaning out the window with a cup in one hand and a hose from a keg in the other. Of course, at this point we were obligated to stop for reasons that included politeness, rehydration, and carbo replenishment. We were 80 miles into the ride, seriously in need of liquids and we all managed to drink about a quart of Shiner. Rode home in a somewhat non-cohesive paceline.
Old 03-04-13, 11:46 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just like most, I've had good run-ins, and bad run-ins. However, ever since I've placed a GoPro camera on the top of my helmet, the bad run-ins have almost entirely disappeared. :-)
Old 03-04-13, 12:11 PM
FixedDriveJess

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly honking, but one time a guy was behind me in a pickup truck. As he passed me his friend yelled "You got **** for brains!".

Another time, I was in town and this pick up truck was stinking up the entire town with his exhaust. As I passed him I said "your car stinks", but I kinda said it knowing he wouldn't hear. Turns out his window was open and his dog viscously barked at me from a foot away loud enough to make me almost crash.
Old 03-04-13, 12:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Maybe I've just been lucky, but it's been a while since I last had a really bad encounter with a driver. I've had people do stupid, dangerous stuff around me, but it's been a long time since I felt like it was intentionally directed at me.
Old 03-04-13, 12:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I had a guy in a pick'em-up truck give me a thumbs up/encouragement on a long stretch or rural road where I would have assumed cussing and beer car throwing to be more likely.
Old 03-04-13, 01:53 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i guess a positive thing....when I got to the top of Haleakala 4 years ago people looked at me like I was an alien from other planet. some people gave me food (unsolicted) and some other tourists wanted to take their picture with me (also unsolicited). They were incredulous that someone would ride a bike up that giant mountain. I am going to Maui in 4 weeks. I am not doing it again.
Old 03-04-13, 02:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Last time I did Haleakala someone in a car said to me "You have GOT to be kidding me!"
Old 03-04-13, 02:16 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I had a crack head junky girl yell "nice legs". The light turned green, I took off like a bat out of hell. Next stop light, I did look down to look at my legs... : )
Old 03-04-13, 02:17 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One time a guy said a mean thing to me. I felt better after a good cry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.