Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone here ridden L'alpe D'huez?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone here ridden L'alpe D'huez?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 01:54 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Warblade
I was refering to climbing from Bedoin. Then the winds at the top are nuts, me and my dad had 50-55 gusts and I was blown off the road at one point. Strongest winds I have ever been in.
Winds pick up on Ventoux in the afternoon. If you get an early start, it's a completely different ride. Actually, I found it quite enjoyable.

Photo was taken during the 2003 Tour de France, a year in which they had no race stage on Ventoux.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ventoux2003.jpg (51.1 KB, 100 views)

Old 12-21-05, 04:07 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by divekrb
Cristo's time for a rec rider/racer is excellent but it's not relevant to hanging with the TDF riders.

I did it in '04 in mediocre form, 15lbs heavier than in 05 and went 57:00 weaving through traffic the day after the TT. I'm sure based on my % improvement in '05 at other climbs that I could see 51- 52 minutes if I was on peak.

I'm also sure that had I done the full TDF prior my time would be 0:00 because I would have burst into flames several days before. Cristo is right in saying that the guys he might have "beaten" were cruising in survival mode after a long tour, just making the cut. These guys put in incredibly hard efforts before they even see the bottom of the mountain. And some of the bigger riders are notoriously slow going uphill, if you've ever raced some top crit monstors you know how they die on the grades. It's the great watts/pounds equalizer.
Yes but Christo's time was only 10 minutes behind Armstrong, and only 5 minutes off people like Leipheimer and Julich who were still riding for GC.
I understand he hadn't ridden the previous 15 stages, but if you can work a full time job, and hang out on BF, and ride a time like that, it would indicate with full time effort dedictated to cycling you should could be a professional cyclist, at least at the division 3 level. I don't know Christo, so I won't say he didn't ride that time, but if he did, and he's only riding recreationally, he might consider actually pursuing professional racing.
Old 12-21-05, 05:16 PM
schumionbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just to add my two cent. the start of the time trial included 1.7 km of flat at the very beginning so the actual climbing time on the the mountain is a couple minute faster. That would make Christo is not 10 but 12 minutes back of Lance Armstrong =). I know, big deal, but just want to pointed that out. I agrees that the tour rider are quite dead by the time they got to that time trial. I would think they would be a bit quicker if that's the only thing they have to do in the tour.

Speaking Christo, I wonder what your physycal built is like? Rasmussen (sp) or Ullrich?? just out of curiosity. lol
Old 12-21-05, 09:16 PM
mscycler
Orbea Crayola Rider

Bikes: '05 Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to Ramstein Air Force Base in Aug for 2 weeks. I will have the middle weekend off and am trying to talk my supervisor into letting me go for the weekend and climb it. But, I cannot find any info about it such as how far it is from Ramstein, going up it solo with no support, getting back down (aside from descending on bike), etc...

mscycler
Old 12-21-05, 09:53 PM
divekrb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mscycler
I am going to Ramstein Air Force Base in Aug for 2 weeks. I will have the middle weekend off and am trying to talk my supervisor into letting me go for the weekend and climb it. But, I cannot find any info about it such as how far it is from Ramstein, going up it solo with no support, getting back down (aside from descending on bike), etc...

mscycler
Don't know how far it is from your base, but you can do it unsupported without any problems. There's shop in Borg d' Osians (sp?) and Huez so food and water won't be an issue. You can ride back down the hairpins, or make a loop down the backside and back to Osains. Give yourself 4 hours for the round trip, shopping, Etc.
Old 12-22-05, 04:26 AM
Barcelona rider

Bikes: 2 cannondales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
Ummmmm...thanks but no. And I believe the OP was asking specifically about the Alpe d' Huez, not Alpe d' Huez "type" climbs. I was only suggesting that he ask someone who has ridden it....in other words, I was "sticking to the thread topic." Perhaps you may want to follow the very suggestion you have so consistently made yourself. My post was in no way even directed at you and as I have told you before, your continued attempts at baiting me into a name calling, pissing contest are not going to work. It has been tried before by people whose thoughts and opinions mattered to me, and it didn't work with them either. If you wish to continue to waste your time with this practice then, by all means, go ahead. I find it amusing, if not a bit childish.

Cheers,

Brian
The invite was genuine. Your answer is delirious and seriously out of context. Get a life.
Old 12-22-05, 06:34 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by Barcelona rider
The invite was genuine. Your answer is delirious and seriously out of context. Get a life.
Barcelona, Living in Europe, perhaps you aren't aware that here in the states, "boy" is considered a perjorative term (not a friendly word to use) by many. Knowing what I do about the history of the term's usage, Baj's reaction seems quite understandable. I'm certain any of us here in the US could make a similar, unintended, unfortunate choice of words when conversing with you.
Old 12-22-05, 06:34 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Barcelona rider
Like I said, thanks but no.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Brian

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 12-22-05 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 06:40 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Barcelona, Living in Europe, perhaps you aren't aware that here in the states, "boy" is considered a perjorative term (not a friendly word to use) by many. Knowing what I do about the history of the term's usage, Baj's reaction seems quite understandable. I'm certain any of us here in the US could make a similar, unintended, unfortunate choice of words when conversing with you.
Especially when one is black, as I am. No matter though, if it had bothered me that much I would have mentioned it. As I have stated in many previous posts dealing with this "gentleman," his sophomoric attempts at insulting me, have all been tried before...in person, to my face, and by better people. I will continue to take the high road and be civil. If he wishes to continue to "entertain" the other forum members with his vitriolic monologue, let him hang himself. I have no intention of dengirating myself by stooping to that. If he gets his jollies by attacking a complete stranger over an anonymous internet forum. let him have his fun. It is no skin off my back.

Cheers, and thanks just the same.

Brian

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 12-22-05 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 07:22 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For once in here, there may be a genuine misunderstanding, rather than a repeat all of the eight year old crap that flies around.

Your name in here is baj32161. Given the predeliction of members to try suss out a familiar way to address other members (as in Sin and Sincity for the name Sincitycycler), is it just possible that baj was just such an attempt at familiarity? Just a thought.
Old 12-22-05, 07:28 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Originally Posted by gmason
For once in here, there may be a genuine misunderstanding, rather than a repeat all of the eight year old crap that flies around.

Your name in here is baj32161. Given the predeliction of members to try suss out a familiar way to address other members (as in Sin and Sincity for the name Sincitycycler), is it just possible that baj was just such an attempt at familiarity? Just a thought.
Unless you just don't pay attention. If you read my posts I usually (99% of the time) end them with the closing "Cheers, Brian." BAJ are my initials, my first name is Brian. I was not the one who had the problem with the way I was being addressed and nowhere did I say I had one. One other poster mentioned it, I did not. If you choose to call me baj, or Brian, either is okay with me. Anything other than that (boy not among them) is open to discussion.

Cheers,

Brian

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 12-22-05 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 07:30 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
I'm hoping that's the case too. I can see why baj might take offense, but I also could see how Barcelona might not have intended any. Cross-cultural communication can be tough.

edit - if one could imagine the speaker being an aristocratic gentleman in early 20th century Britain, "boy" would be synonymous with "pal", "chap", or any number of genuinely friendly colloquialisms - a far different tone from its common usage in the USA.

Last edited by USAZorro; 12-22-05 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 07:38 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
Unless you just don't pay attention.
Are you accusing someone in here of paying attention?!
Old 12-22-05, 08:22 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Are you accusing someone in here of paying attention?!

OOPS!!! My bad!!

― Bruce Lee
Old 03-14-24, 04:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by gentrificationz
Wow, sounds great! It must have been quite an experience to conquer such an iconic climb, even with the less-than-ideal gearing and tiredness from the journey. And the view from the top, especially at night, sounds absolutely breathtaking. It's moments like these that stay with us forever and remind us of the beauty and resilience of life.
A bit like when you realise that you have just wasted your time reading an old zombie thread.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-14-24, 04:46 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
19 years no less. Wonder what the record is...
Old 03-14-24, 06:31 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Old 03-14-24, 06:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
19 years no less. Wonder what the record is...

This has to be the oldest I have seen.

But since I am here.... Not ridden it in real life, attempted on Rouvy a couple of years ago... it was not successful, although I think I could do it now.

Old 03-15-24, 04:02 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by gentrificationz
I don't see anything wrong with that. I was just looking for places to visit, and why not? I liked this description and decided to write about it here

Everything is much simpler than you might think.
It’s ok I was joking. Newbies and zombie threads are a common theme on BF.
Old 03-15-24, 04:30 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Ben Cousins said he's ridden it, but he's disappeared from the forum
Gord, who remembers having silly arguments with Ben Cousins? I can't believe it's been so long
Old 03-15-24, 04:38 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Gotta love zombie thread!

If I did it 41 times so far in 2024 in Zwift, does it count?
Old 03-18-24, 09:19 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
The Alpe du Zwift matches the climb pretty closely. I did it a few weeks ago in my pain cave. I need to do it again before I put away the trainer for the season.