Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to road cycling. Necessary gear?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 04:21 PM
white_glint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a GMC Denali and want to get into road cycling (but mainly commuting to school and work). What kind of extras should I buy to make life a little easier? I plan on getting a helmet, U lock, and lights but I am not sure what brands are considered good. Also, what are some good practices for biking on the road?
Old 10-17-15, 04:30 PM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Extra tubes, a patch kit, and a mini pump. Then, just ride it.
Old 10-17-15, 04:34 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
What distance and retain?

With the weather getting colder, proper clothing will make riding more enjoyable.
Old 10-17-15, 04:42 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might consider a multi tool as well as some tire levers to go with the flat repair stuff already mentioned.
Old 10-17-15, 04:50 PM
white_glint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. During the week, I will only be commuting to school and back which is only 2 miles per trip. On the weekends I would like to do cardio with it so maybe 10-20 miles max. I am a full time engineering student and do not have the money to put into a more expensive bike so I rather put money into safety gear instead of upgrades.
Old 10-17-15, 05:14 PM
Will G

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 35 Posts
Practice changing a flat in the comfort of your room. Nothing like running late when it is hot, cold, raining, or some other miserable condition and you are trying to figure out how to change a flat for the first time without the tools or skills you need.
Old 10-17-15, 05:41 PM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by white_glint
Thanks for the replies. During the week, I will only be commuting to school and back which is only 2 miles per trip. On the weekends I would like to do cardio with it so maybe 10-20 miles max. I am a full time engineering student and do not have the money to put into a more expensive bike so I rather put money into safety gear instead of upgrades.
No need for upgrades. Just the tools to keep your tires properly inflated, change tubes, make minor repairs on the road, and safety. All the rest is for when the bug bites you and then you'll be buying gear you don't need, and bikes you can't ride.
Old 10-17-15, 10:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I usually check the Closeouts, Bargain Bin, and Returned Items at Nashbar.com a couple times a week--I am sure a lot of bicycle sites have similar pages (have seen a few.) EBay and Amazon are also great sources--find the item you think you want, then type in the name plus "reviews" and probably some site has reviewed it.

Nashbar often has perfectly good closeout or returned helmets for $20-$30--stuff they no longer want to stock, brand new condition, last year's model ... There is a thread on this site somewhere on night riding which mentions good lights, plus this site: https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/

A cable lock is a lot more versatile. Unless you will always be locking up at a bike rack (which might be the case on a college campus) there will likely be times you need to lock to something where a U-lock won't reach. However, the U-lock is more secure. (My theory is, if someone Really wants your bike, it will be gone. As long as it isn't just sitting by the side of the road unlocked, and isn't worth several thousand dollars, you should be good. And never ever leave a bike that you cannot accept being stolen, even if it is a $20 yard-sale find. Accept that it might happen, and then lock up and never worry.)

Fore what you want, really all you need is a lock and a bike. Helmet is not a bad idea. Your plan seems sound. Just go ride and enjoy.
Old 10-17-15, 10:12 PM
white_glint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, I will pick up some repair stuff and a few tools. I will also be building this bike as a kit, should I locktite anything in particular? What type of lubricants should I use on the chain and bearings?
Old 10-17-15, 11:03 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Also, what are some good practices for biking on the road?
Assume everybody is actively out to kill you...and the rest are in a semi conscious state and can't see anything smaller than a house.

If you have Schrader (car type) tire valves, grab yourself a bottle of Slime or similar flat proof from your local car parts or bike shop and treat the tires. You just need to remove the valve cores using the little tool that comes with the bottle, squeeze in the correct amount as mentioned on the label, replace the cores and re-inflate the tires. If you do it at a gas station you won't even need a pump. Flat proof is perfect for commuting, chance are you'll never need to fix a puncture then.

You can get some nice windstopper gloves off ebay for about $3 posted to you.

A fluoro reflective cycling vest is a good investment for commuting too, zipped up it acts as a wind breaker to keep your core temp up, unzipped it acts as a flag to attract the attention of the somnambulist motorists.

Also, if you are anywhere near a marine shop you can buy SOLAS reflective tape by the meter normally. Stick red stuff on the back and white facing forwards. Can't hurt and it might save your life. It's designed for marine environments so it won't peel off.
Old 10-18-15, 11:01 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Also, what are some good practices for biking on the road?
Follow the rules of the road. Ride with traffic, not against. Don't make sudden changes in lane or direction.
Assume that drivers aren't paying attention.
Learn how to look behind you, without swerving, when checking for traffic. Drop your right elbow a bit as you look over your left shoulder.
Look up the road for obstacles, potholes, sticks, glass, roadkill etc... Gradually move out to avoid them, not swerving at the last minute.
Use hand signals when turning, or moving to the left lane before a turn.
Wear bright colored clothing.
Get front & rear lights if you will be riding at night. Get 500+ lumens on the front. And a bright "blinkie" for the rear.
Add some reflective tape to the front and back of your bike. Hardware stores sell it.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-18-15 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-18-15, 11:05 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Awesome, I will pick up some repair stuff and a few tools. I will also be building this bike as a kit, should I locktite anything in particular? What type of lubricants should I use on the chain and bearings?
Loctite is not needed. You can buy chain lube at a bike shop. Some department stores, hardware stores may sell it too. Brand doesn't matter too much, as long as you use something.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-18-15, 12:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Your most important safety gear is between your ears.
Old 10-18-15, 12:23 PM
Damien09

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a GMC Denali and want to get into road cycling (but mainly commuting to school and work). What kind of extras should I buy to make life a little easier? I plan on getting a helmet, U lock, and lights but I am not sure what brands are considered good. Also, what are some good practices for biking on the road?
everything seems to be covered pretty well. I would add sunglasses or saftey glasse. No need for expensive ones.
Old 10-18-15, 02:31 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A floor pump.
Keeping your tires at a good pressure prevents flats and makes your ride so much more enjoyable.
Old 10-18-15, 02:40 PM
Stravacyclist79

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Padded Lycra shorts at least for your longer rides.
Old 10-18-15, 03:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Watch out for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yVFmAilK9U

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyXZ2iKBnIA

(right hook, car door)
Old 10-18-15, 05:08 PM
white_glint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

Scary stuff. I have a Mobius Action cam (small HD camera), looks like I should invest in a helmet mount for insurance purposes. My campus has some bike lanes and a fairly long bike trail that runs through out the city (Columbus, Ohio) but I rarely see bicyclist in the city while out driving. Since I plan on using the bike to get to class, how bad is it to use the side walks if you are going slow and no one is around? My campus seems to be set up to make walking more convenient than driving and bikes were an after thought. They do have certain areas designated as walking only and the roads fill with people when classes are starting or ending.

I grew up riding mountain bikes so I never really worried about pot holes in the ground. Since road bikes seem to have high psi tires and small surface area on the wheels, how dangerous are obstructions?
Old 10-18-15, 08:48 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Scary stuff. I have a Mobius Action cam (small HD camera), looks like I should invest in a helmet mount for insurance purposes. My campus has some bike lanes and a fairly long bike trail that runs through out the city (Columbus, Ohio) but I rarely see bicyclist in the city while out driving. Since I plan on using the bike to get to class, how bad is it to use the side walks if you are going slow and no one is around? My campus seems to be set up to make walking more convenient than driving and bikes were an after thought. They do have certain areas designated as walking only and the roads fill with people when classes are starting or ending.

I grew up riding mountain bikes so I never really worried about pot holes in the ground. Since road bikes seem to have high psi tires and small surface area on the wheels, how dangerous are obstructions?

It's not really that scary if you maintain an alert and defensive awareness.

Riding on sidewalks is bad, but occasionally called for. Paths on campus often have bike traffic.

The enemies of narrow tires are railroad tracks, cracks and curbs crossed at a shallow angle; drainage grates, and sometimes painted lines, especially if wet; and broken glass & other road-side debris.

Bike theft is also a popular activity in some areas, so ask around for appropriate precautions.

Gloves can prevent painful scrapes if you take a spill.
Old 10-18-15, 08:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It depends. A pothole could be nothing or it could cause a flat, crash, or destroy your wheel. Ride around or bunnyhop them.
Old 10-19-15, 12:28 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been cycling less than a year, and I've been keeping track of suggestions, and what I've bought. I haven't bought everything on this list, but I have bought the safety needs.

I've separated accessories into categories, and then Needs (pretty much required) and Wants (Nice, but not necessary):

Safety Needs:
- Helmet (Certified CPSC; MIPS certificationis optional, soon it may be recommended)
- Gloves (for unexpected stops, but also for comfort)
- Tire repair kit (Seat Bag; Patch Kit; Tire Levers; Multi-Tool; Extra Tube(s))
- Water Bottle(s) / Cage(s)
- Floor Pump (for home use w/ pressure gauge)
- Portable Pump (either mini-pump or CO2 pump)
- Pedals (some bikes come w/o pedals)

Comfort Needs:
- Bike Short(s)/Bib(s) (Need the chamois for comfort)

Safety Wants:
- Sunglasses (to protect your eyes while cycling)
- Bell/Noise making device (Required in some areas; Check your local laws.)
- Mirror (To see those sneaky Prius's sneaking up on you)
- Lock (for when you stop; Small or U-Lock)

Nighttime Needs:
- Lights
- Extra reflectors
- Safety vest w/ reflectors

Performance Wants:
- Clipless Pedals
- Clipless Shoes
- Jersey(s) (wicking helps with comfort and performance)
- Sock(s) (wicking helps with comfort and performance)
- Cycling Computer (Smartphone can track rides; Strava / MapMyRide seem to be the most popular free apps, but have pay upgrades)
- Computer/Smartphone mount (I have Nite Ize HandleBand Universal Smartphone Bar Mount)
- Heart Rate Monitor
- Cadence Monitor
- Power Monitor

Comfort Wants:
- New Seat (The seat you get with the bike may be fine, but people often have to upgrade them if they riding 20+ miles at a time.)
- Seat Mud Flap
- Camelback (water backpack)
- Leg Warmers
- Rain Jacket

Commuting Wants:
- Fenders
- Rear Rack (Pannier)

Maintenance Wants:
- Chain lube
- Inexpensive small brushes to clean drive train
- P-handled hex wrenches, start with 4 mm, 5 mm, and 6 mm, or get complete set
- Pedal wrench.
- Anti-seize compound for metal. Carbon compound for seat posts and such.
- Socket and bit set.
- Plastic/Latex gloves (Keeps your hands clean during maintenance)
- Clean wipes (In case your hands or bike gets dirty)
- Bike Stand

Travel Wants:
- Trunk Bike Rack

Nutrition
- Gels
- Osmo (Prehydration / Recovery)
- Skratch
- Nuun

GH
Old 10-19-15, 12:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The OP should take the LAB class or at least look at the Ride Smart page...

Ride Smart | League of American Bicyclists
Old 10-19-15, 01:47 PM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good thinking. Upgrading a Denali isn't cost-effective. It's fine for what you're going to do with it, but it's a very basic bike, and on the heavy side. Once you graduate and find employment you can start looking for a better ride. The helmet and lights are the essential safety items. Weather appropriate clothing is also important--not so much for your commuting, but for your longer weekend rides. Eye protection is another safety item. Not just for sunlight--UV rays are a factor even on cloudy days, and at night, cars and trucks kick up rocks and other small pieces of road debris---you'd rather have one of those things crack your glasses than break an eye socket. Clear safety glasses do well for night riding.
Old 10-19-15, 02:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
It is easy to tell ColaJacket hasn't been cycling long--his wish list is so short.

White-Glint, I agree with mprelaw in that the bike you have is a great starter. After a year or two or however long, buy a used bike for a couple hundred dollars--by then you will be able to tell if anything is really wrong with the bike (which likely now you couldn't) and there are some amazing and very upgrade-worthy bikes out there in that price range you could conceivably ride almost forever (says this '83 Cannondale owner.)
Old 10-19-15, 09:22 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For longer rides be sure to get a pair of padded cycling shorts, or mountain bike shorts if your not into the spando look. A sore rear makes riding no fun.

Also, learn how to fix a flat tire and carry a pump, tire lever and 1 or 2 spare tubes with you. Practice fixing a flat at home so its not a big deal when you get one on the road. Having to walk miles home sucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.