Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Return To Biking With: Synapse 2 LE, Endurace CF 7 Di2, or Caledonia?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Return To Biking With: Synapse 2 LE, Endurace CF 7 Di2, or Caledonia?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-24, 06:43 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
When the Bianchi Infinito CV went on sale a few months ago I almost pulled the trigger but changed my mind when I learned that it has a proprietary seat post (with a fragile top clamp) that is sold out everywhere. Almost every make and model uses a proprietary seat post nowadays, but at least with the big four (Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Trek) the part supply situation is better.

Fully internal cables and hoses seem to require proprietary stems and headsets.

And then you have the current Cannondale SuperSix Evo, with the sort of triangular steerer tube, which definitely requires a proprietary stem.
Thank you. I appreciate your time and knowledge on here.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 02-09-24, 07:28 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Check out the Roubaix. I just got back be and love it. Very comfortable bike.
Likes For cweb99:
Old 02-09-24, 07:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
. I'm looking forward to seeing if the electronic system stays in adjustment longer than the cable-based system did..[/QUOTE]

Generally, the common experience is an electronic system needs no adjustment after setup. My road Di2 system is 6 years old or so, I’ve never had to touch the trim. About the only issue I read about is if somebody dings the rear derailer hanger, but as with a mechanical system, you then need to get it realigned.
Old 02-09-24, 11:16 PM
narocan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for all your input.

I have been riding my Nishiki sometimes on the weekends with the kids doing 3-10 miles depending on who is riding with me (10-15 times during the year). I want to keep it as is. It has some sentimental value to me. It is also the only possession I have that I have kept for over 38 years.

I still enjoy it, but at the same time, I feel like I want something with a much more comfortable ride that I can take to longer rides and feel confident riding. I want it to be fast enough to keep up with some of the local bike rides as well. I have to admit there is some childish excitement about wanting to buy a nice bike to ride around and tinker with... I also think if I buy a bike that is a bit nicer than doing the sensible thing (e.g., buying a used or cheaper bike to ride for a while), the chances of me sticking with it are higher.

I haven't tried the Specialized Roubaix. However, after reviewing all the feedback, I'm certainly inclined to test it. The challenge, as with Giant Defy, lies in its price point; the model that meets my specifications is notably pricier compared to the deal I secured on the Cervelo. While I appreciated the Domane SL 5's comfortable ride, it somewhat reminded me of a Cadillac in its handling. Additionally, it's approximately a thousand dollars more costly. Concerns regarding Domane's sliding seat posts also give me pause.

The LBS matched the price for the Cervelo but refused to provide a complimentary comprehensive bike fitting (as they do with every other bike sold from their shop) given the low price. I will look for another bike shop after I pick up the bike over the weekend -unless I love the Roubaix or there is a strong vote for the Synapse here.

As a side note, the Cervelo I am buying is the 2022 version, black and white, and doesn't have a slammed stem. Given that people I know and some of you here, love the Di2, should I consider selling the brand new 105 set from the Cervelo and pay to replace it with a Di2?

Do I buy the Synapse 2LE with the Di2 and better specifications for $3,300? I liked the Cervelo's ride a bit better but with the right comprehensive fit, who is to say Synapse won't feel the same? At the back of my mind, I am surprised that there are so many more of them available at that attractive price point. Even Cannondale has the sale price on its website. Why?

Too many questions floating in my head. I hope to forget about all these trials and tribulations once I start riding with friends :-)

Thank you again for all your comments and invaluable guidance.
Old 02-10-24, 07:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by narocan
... I still enjoy it, but at the same time, I feel like I want something with a much more comfortable ride that I can take to longer rides and feel confident riding. I want it to be fast enough to keep up with some of the local bike rides as well. ...
Please elaborate on how you want a much more comfortable ride? Your current discomfort on the bike, is it a fit issue (e.g., you are too stretched out or too cramped)? Or is it a ride compliance issue? If it is the latter most modern CF bikes will be more comfortable, with better compliance and likely wider wheels and tires.

It sounds like you have test ridden both a Caledonia and a Synapse; which respective sizes?
Old 02-10-24, 10:15 PM
narocan

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The Nishiki I have is a relatively stiff ride with little or no give. I bought it when I was 16-17, the size feels a bit small and it is really old. I can change everything on it, but that is not the way I want to go. I want to keep it the way it is.

I want a more flexible and comfortable ride and modern conveniences. I tried out 51" and 54" versions of both bikes. Although it seemed easier for me to handle the 51" versions, I felt like the 54" was a better fit because with the 51" I felt like I wanted to sit further back on the saddle and there was no place to sit. I am not experienced or knowledgeable enough to figure out what would be my ultimate best fit on either bike and what I should pay more attention to in choosing between the sizes. I am going by gut feel as to what felt more natural. I am guessing when we do a more comprehensive and professional fit and if the size is ultimately wrong (and cannot be fixed) then I can always get the bigger or smaller size within the first 30 days.

I also rode the Roubaix SL8 Comp today and the Scott Addict 20, both in 52". The Roubaix felt amazing and I appreciated the shock absorption of the handlebar. However, it is much more than what I want to spend (i.e., $5K). Scott Addict felt pretty nice too and had the Di2 like the SL8.

It is one thing to ride around the block a few times, another is to go on long rides. It is easy to rule out certain bikes because they are not comfortable to ride even for a short duration, but a lot more difficult to decide which ones would be best in the long run if they are comfortable when I am trying them out.

Although I loved the Di2 shifting, I am leaning toward getting the mechanical 105 until I know this is a sport I will stick with in the long run. At that point, I will make the jump. I am already stretching beyond what I wanted to spend.

Thank you again.
Likes For narocan:
Old 02-11-24, 03:48 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
As a side note, the Cervelo I am buying is the 2022 version, black and white, and doesn't have a slammed stem. Given that people I know and some of you here, love the Di2, should I consider selling the brand new 105 set from the Cervelo and pay to replace it with a Di2?
I have a 2021 Caledonia with mechanical Ultegra and really like the bike. If you're like me, you'll like the mechanical 105 just fine. I can't compare my Caledonia with all the other bikes mentioned in this thread, but I'm very happy with mine. I've completed three centuries on it and a number of other 50+ mile rides and it's a comfortable bike. Keep the 105 unless you become dissatisfied with it for some reason. I'm completely happy with mechanical shifting on my bike.
Likes For Random11:
Old 02-11-24, 08:00 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
. The Roubaix felt amazing and I appreciated the shock absorption of the handlebar. .
Does the Roubaix have the 'Future Shock'? I have the Future Shock 1.5 on my 2022 Diverge. It really does provide a more plush ride than a standard headset. It is proprietary, but after riding it for a couple years I think that it should be trouble-free for many years.

Old 02-11-24, 10:45 PM
narocan

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
They do and it felt great.
Old 02-13-24, 09:41 PM
Parsival

Bikes: 23 Sirrus X.50 / 21 Sirrus 6.0 / 19 EPIC Carbon Comp

Liked 42 Times in 15 Posts
I love the Future Shock. I've had it for years on several bikes and none have ever given me any problem or needed any maintenance. It really does a lot to help smoothen out the road and over a lot miles, it keeps you fresher and less beat up.

Originally Posted by jlaw
Does the Roubaix have the 'Future Shock'? I have the Future Shock 1.5 on my 2022 Diverge. It really does provide a more plush ride than a standard headset. It is proprietary, but after riding it for a couple years I think that it should be trouble-free for many years.

Old 02-13-24, 10:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Maybe it is time I try the Roubaix again. I had only tried (what I assume to have been) the very first version of Future Shock in early 2017, which felt odd to me.
Old 03-14-24, 10:45 AM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Curious what you decided to do? I'm looking at Canyon CF7 DI2 myself.
Old 03-16-24, 12:47 AM
narocan

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The two most comfortable rides I had were the Roubaix and the Domane. I wanted to order the Roubaix, but the Specialized store did not have my size in stock. They said they ordered it from another store for me, but no one got back to me for 10 days. After a few back and forth and waiting a bit longer, I decided to try Domane again. This time, I went to a bigger Trek store, hoping they would have an older model Domane for a better price. I got lucky. Their sister store had it, and they brought it the next day. I am now a happy owner of a Trek Comane SL6 SRAM. It was $700 more than the Roubaix Sport mechanical 105, but I didn't care. It is really smooth. The frame has a lifetime warranty, and the shop I bought it from has a great reputation and amazing service. I am driving 30 minutes to just deal with them instead of 5-10 minutes to the closest Trek store. I am certain that they would not let me down if I had issues with the seatpost etc.

I also got it fitted for a king's ransom, but it did make a difference. My lower back isn't getting sore anymore, and I noticed I can handle the bike better with the adjustments.

I have been riding it whenever I find time. But for the rain, I am averaging about 15-25 miles a day on the weekends and about 6-12 miles two or three times a week. Now that it is getting warmer, I can easily double the weekdays and add more miles on the weekends. I know these are not numbers to be proud of just yet. I am really out of shape, but it is getting better.

Do I love my Domane? I definitely do. I don't get tired riding it.

Do I still think about the Cervelo Caledonia (for a savings of about $1,200) with a mechanical 105, the Cannondale Synapse 2LE with Di2, or the Canyon Endurace with Di2 that became available on Canyon's site? I do. The Caledonia and the Synapse were more sporty and responsive, but I am happy with my purchase. I wanted comfort above all else, and that is what I got. I don't rule out buying a second, more snappy bike down the line. Hopefully, in 5-6 years ;-)

Thank you all again for your invaluable input and insights. Your posts influenced me the most when making a decision.

After I changed the tires but before I changed the pedals, raised the seatpost, and got it fitted.

Last edited by narocan; 03-16-24 at 12:58 AM. Reason: new pic
Likes For narocan:
Old 03-16-24, 06:27 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I'm not a Trek fan, but that is one fine looking machine. Absolutely love the color!
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 03-16-24, 06:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Very nice bike, glad it worked out for you in the end.
Old 03-18-24, 10:28 AM
narocan

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you 🙏