Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling does not require skills?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling does not require skills?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 09:35 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Meh. Of course the cycling guys are going to claim that it requires skills.

To a certain degree, that is true: you need to have certain motor skills in order to ride a bike, to ride in a pack, descend (ask Andy Schleck), etc.
See below.

But you don't need any special talent - special hand-eye coordination, balance, reflexes, what-have-you: the stuff that separates the gifted from the hard workers.
Paolo Solvodelli won a Giro because of his descending skills (special hand-eye coordination, balance, reflexes), he clearly wasn't the strongest rider. No rider with lesser descending skills will ever win MSR. If you think skills aren't required to ride a technical criterium, you need to go watch a race where people are hitting the deck because they lack these skills. Cancellerra has won more than a few TT's because of his superior hand-eye coordination, balance, reflexes.

Go watch Paris Roubaix and count the number of guys that end up in ditches while guys like Boonen power over them at greater speed. Special hand-eye coordination, balance, reflexes.

Superior bike handlers have virtually the same skill set as Moto GP racers. You'd be fishing in a Coke can if you would try to make the case that Valentino Rossi has inferior hand-eye coordination, balance, and reflexes compared to Roger Federer.

What's different is that these skills may not be in play all the time at every race. The case can easily be made that tennis requires that you employ skills (vs. strength or endurance) much more often than in cycling, and that some bike races can be won strictly on fitness.
Old 05-07-12, 09:40 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Well, I don't know what snooker is, but the OP asked whether cycling requires skills, not whether bike racing does.
They were watching a championship match on TV. Bringing racing in creates an apples to apples comparison. If you take the competitive aspect out of it I'd say riding a bicycle requires more motor skills than hitting a stationary ball with stick.

but it feels like the 41 is too myopic.
As so it goes.
Old 05-07-12, 10:18 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
The problem with this thread is you've got a bunch of hackers commenting on things they don't know much about. Saying time trials don't require much skill is one example.
I'll put it this way, it you were going to compete in a solo time trial, would you rather have Thor's skill, or his legs?
Old 05-07-12, 11:03 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MSMechanic
I was talking to my friends about skills require in different sports when we were watching the snooker world championship. One of my friend (who is not a cyclist) said that cycling, as an endurance sport, does not require much skills. Where as football, tennis...etc emphasis much more on skill levels. I didn't know what to say then. Do you think this is true?
Anything that someone doesn't know anything about is easy.

However, some people who watch enough TV on that something can be convinced otherwise -- hence the apparent discrepancy in attitude.
Likes For banerjek:
Old 05-07-12, 11:50 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
I'll put it this way, it you were going to compete in a solo time trial, would you rather have Thor's skill, or his legs?
One might also make the case that training for cycling is a skill that takes years to develop and you can't get much of a head start by training when you're young. Unlike hockey, tennis, swimming etc, there are very few, if any, U23 riders who dominate cycling. Maybe it's just physiological and takes a certain number of years to develop the CV system and muscles but learning how to train on the edge without doing too much seems difficult to master.
Old 05-07-12, 12:00 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Paolo Solvodelli won a Giro because of his descending skills (special hand-eye coordination, balance, reflexes), he clearly wasn't the strongest rider. No rider with lesser descending skills will ever win MSR. If you think skills aren't required to ride a technical criterium, you need to go watch a race where people are hitting the deck because they lack these skills. Cancellerra has won more than a few TT's because of his superior hand-eye coordination, balance, reflexes.

Go watch Paris Roubaix and count the number of guys that end up in ditches while guys like Boonen power over them at greater speed. Special hand-eye coordination, balance, reflexes.

Superior bike handlers have virtually the same skill set as Moto GP racers. You'd be fishing in a Coke can if you would try to make the case that Valentino Rossi has inferior hand-eye coordination, balance, and reflexes compared to Roger Federer.

What's different is that these skills may not be in play all the time at every race. The case can easily be made that tennis requires that you employ skills (vs. strength or endurance) much more often than in cycling, and that some bike races can be won strictly on fitness.
Much more often, as in overwhelming so. I started my post by pointing out that some motor skills are indeed needed. So I guess we merely disagree on the degree to which finesse matters.

You cannot win ANY bike race solely on finesse - I am not going to beat you in a bike race, no matter how much I finesse the pedals to your slam-dancing on them. Finesse may - very rarely - make a difference, but only when the engines (or how they are used) are evenly matched.

I can beat squash players who are fitter than me, faster than me and hit the ball harder than me. My talent can compensate for a fair bit. It cannot do so in cycling (sadly) - there, It is still almost entirely about the engine and usually, if your skills are average for your level of competition, you can get by.
Old 05-07-12, 12:01 PM
gregf83 

I climbed Mount Baker on mine Saturday.
OT but how high did you get. Last year we couldn't get to the top in late Aug due to snow.
Old 05-07-12, 12:04 PM
gregf83 

I can beat squash players who are fitter than me, faster than me and hit the ball harder than me. My talent can compensate for a fair bit. It cannot do so in cycling (sadly) - there, It is still almost entirely about the engine and usually, if your skills are average for your level of competition, you can get by.
So why can't Cancellara win every time he races?
Old 05-07-12, 12:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
To perform at the highest level in any sport requires major talent and at least decent technique. Cycling in general is best describes as a "non-technical sport." It's so easy that talent can completely overwhelm technique, duh. How many of you folks with what you think is perfect technique have had their butts handed to them by someone with execrable technique? Eh? I've seen guys who can hardly ride without going in the ditch drop the best riders in the group. I think that's all that's being said by the OP.
Old 05-07-12, 12:34 PM
James1:17
comin' in hot

Bikes: '97 Allez M2, '90 Trek 1400, 80's Univega Alpina Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Cycling does not require skills?"

mostly typing and mouse handling skills. words per minute (wpm), eating while hurling one-handed written insults, embedding videos, etc.
Old 05-07-12, 02:25 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I played tennis competitively as a youngster and also did a little low level bike racing. No matter how naturally gifted a person is, it takes years of lessons, practice and tournament experience to become a high level college tennis player whereas a good athlete can become an elite bike racer in just a few years or even less. As a teen I knew somebody that went from being a good high school swimmer to to a state junior racing champion in a little over a year. A few years later he was one of the best amateurs in the nation and eventually won the US Professionals. It would never happen in a sport like golf, tennis, or basketball. A few years ago in SC a young man that didn't start racing until he was in college became the Div II champion and now he's a pro.
Old 05-08-12, 01:27 PM
scruggle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless somebody knows how to quantify 'skill' into an abstract measure there's no way to compare two sports on the question of which requires (more) skill. It's a ridiculous proposition. Selective accounts of 'well this sport requires eye-hand coordination' or 'that sport requires fast footwork' are just silly rationalizations.
Likes For scruggle:
Old 05-08-12, 01:42 PM
JWSpeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think 50% of the skill involved with cycling (racing) is actually within the training aspect of it.
Old 05-08-12, 01:56 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saying that cycling (either recreational or competitive) is about conditioning and not skill is silly. Sure, on a clear, flat, smooth, windless road with 70degree weather that may be true. Throw in curves, descents, imperfect roads, rain, snow, winds, high speeds, and other riders to see that the whole conditioning-not-skills theory is complete nonsense. Pedaling does not take the skills but keeping the bike upright in less than ideal conditions takes a huge amount of skill. If someone does not personally ride in these "less than ideal" conditions (or if they have not raced) then it is easy to see why they would be clueless as to the true skill required to do more than simply pedal a bike.
Old 03-23-24, 07:04 PM
halsallian

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The skill is in winning - all sports at elite level require absolute dedication.

In cycling the skill is the mindset to train relentlessly.

That's a skill - not many people can put themselves through it - depends how you define "skill" in the end......
Old 03-23-24, 07:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Another zombie thread revived by someone with their first post ... why?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-23-24, 07:23 PM
halsallian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Another zombie thread revived by someone with their first post ... why?
Sorry chief - it was written with good intentions.

I will delete my account immediately.
Old 03-23-24, 07:28 PM
halsallian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh you can't delete your account - clear contravention of GDPR rules (right to be forgotten) (at least in EU).
Old 03-23-24, 07:40 PM
halsallian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just rubbish
Old 03-23-24, 08:10 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by halsallian
Oh you can't delete your account - clear contravention of GDPR rules (right to be forgotten) (at least in EU).
Ironically this thread was forgotten until you brought it back from the dead.
Likes For znomit:
Old 03-24-24, 01:19 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by halsallian
I don't think GDPR requires that you can self-delete but if you request it, the service has to allow it to the degree it’s reasonable to do so.

Welcome to BF by the way. I think there has been a pattern of AI bots resurrecting threads for god knows what reason, hence the reaction above, but your post read like a human. I’d never seen this thread before and found it quite interesting. Also laughing at the idea some people don't know what snooker is and someone can't comprehend complex sentences like “tennis is about more than a good backswing”.

Last edited by choddo; 03-24-24 at 12:04 PM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-24-24, 05:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo

Also laughing at the idea some people don’t know what snooker is and someone can’t comprehend complex sentences like “tennis is about more than a good backswing”.
Same here 😂
Snooker is insanely difficult to play at any level, but requires zero fitness. Endurance cycling only requires the basic skill to ride a bicycle (not hard), but a reasonable degree of fitness. Even in elite level endurance racing, there is a wide variation in bike handling skills on show. Some riders are notoriously poor descenders for example, yet they are still able to compete.

At my level of endurance road cycling it is 95% fitness and 5% skills if I’m being generous. That ratio changes considerably for mtb, where the skill part ramps up significantly.
Old 03-24-24, 05:53 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
My buddy (since high school) encouraging me to take up cycling;
"You're tall, skinny and uncoordinated, cycling is perfect for you."
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-24-24, 07:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
You can request that your account be deleted, but not in a random thread. Happens occasionally. Make a request in the user assistance subforum.
This user appears to be a person to me, I wish people would just report newbies that they think are spammers and let us take care of the problem. New users have been bumping zombie threads since the beginnings of this forum, it's nothing new or surprising.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-24-24, 08:08 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I suspect new members often bump zombie threads due to being brought here from something they googled. When they then go to the effort to register to comment, someone that has been here for years will berate them so they don't post again.

Likes For Chuck M:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.