Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

how to buy my first fixed gear?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10, 09:14 AM
rufus2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the process of buying a fixed gear bike. I have done some research but would really appreciate opinions from some more knowledgable riders. I have found a couple bikes that don't look too different besides their prices and am not sure how to tell what to buy. The three I am looking at are

1) Surly Steamroller
2) Felt Brougham
3) Origin 8

I have also seen some on craigslist that are converted from 10 speed to fixed gear. I really like the look of the older bike that's been converted so I am tempted to pick one up. I saw a Schwinn Traveler taht was made to a fixed gear and a Fuji Monterey. Not sure what I would need to upgrade and/or replace though and obviously being a first time buyer I want that comfort of knowing I have a safe bike.

I just came across the Motobecane Messenger too. It looks like that is reasonably priced but would need some upgrades, which I'm not opposed to doing either once I found out what types of things would be needed.

I really like the Steamroller but it's $720 as opposed to the others which are around $500. Is there a big difference? The guy at the bike store said the Surly is a better bike for not much more but I don't want to get taken. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
Old 03-07-10, 10:04 AM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How much do you want to spend, and how much do you know about working on bikes?
Old 03-07-10, 10:08 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I'd say it's a good idea to buy a bike that you don't want to upgrade right away. The Steamroller might be a little more expensive, but if you buy a cheaper bike and start swapping out parts right away, you'll most likely end up paying more.
Old 03-07-10, 10:10 AM
robb99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikesdirect.com
Old 03-07-10, 11:24 AM
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ +6
Old 03-07-10, 12:35 PM
DeathBat

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought the Motobecane Messenger and I like it. The only thing you probably have to swap out, and I'm going to do it soon are the brake pads.
The pedals will probably be upgraded later also.
Old 03-07-10, 01:53 PM
beatnik0422

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about to get the Origin 8 Uno. For the money, it looks like a great deal.
Old 03-07-10, 02:17 PM
preston811

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ridden the ones you mentioned? For me the ride sold me on the Steamroller, and I tested many. In the end it's not about what anyone else says, you gotta enjoy riding the bike.
Old 03-07-10, 02:34 PM
MaxSta
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rufus2021
I am in the process of buying a fixed gear bike. I have done some research but would really appreciate opinions from some more knowledgable riders. I have found a couple bikes that don't look too different besides their prices and am not sure how to tell what to buy. The three I am looking at are

1) Surly Steamroller
2) Felt Brougham
3) Origin 8

I have also seen some on craigslist that are converted from 10 speed to fixed gear. I really like the look of the older bike that's been converted so I am tempted to pick one up. I saw a Schwinn Traveler taht was made to a fixed gear and a Fuji Monterey. Not sure what I would need to upgrade and/or replace though and obviously being a first time buyer I want that comfort of knowing I have a safe bike.

I just came across the Motobecane Messenger too. It looks like that is reasonably priced but would need some upgrades, which I'm not opposed to doing either once I found out what types of things would be needed.

I really like the Steamroller but it's $720 as opposed to the others which are around $500. Is there a big difference? The guy at the bike store said the Surly is a better bike for not much more but I don't want to get taken. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
this maybe redundant on here, but BikesDirect.com

I wish I knew about that site when I bought my bike
Old 03-07-10, 03:03 PM
rufus2021

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thnaks everyone. i have a budget of about 500 - 700 but don't want to overdue it if i don't have to. i am going to test ride a fuji classic and schwinn madison and if i don't like those rides i'll try a steamroller. i just saw the start here thread so i am gonna do some research over there too.
Old 03-07-10, 07:39 PM
ncohen

Bikes: 1980s OLMO https://i48.tinypic.com/24e75mt.jpg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest a bikes direct for your first bike, either windsor the hour or kilo TT. It would be a shame for you to buy a 500-700 dollar bike and then not like it. My first bike was a windsor the hour and it was nice, however out of the box the pedals/cages needed to be replaced and the wheels trued. Overall thats about $320 for a pretty decent bike compared to 700.

P.S. I h8 or8 frames.
Old 03-08-10, 06:01 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motobecane Messenger.

Swap out the pedals and possibly the saddle and you're good to go.

I love mine although I've swapped out a few more parts...

Old 03-15-10, 11:21 AM
rufus2021

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I am going to go with a Motobecane. Most likely the Track cause I figure a bike without labels with attract less potential bike thieves. That orange Messenger is pretty nice looking though.
Old 03-15-10, 11:57 AM
seedubs1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking for complete bikes, check out IRO cycles and Wabi cycles as well. Great products at a great price.
Old 03-16-10, 01:27 PM
sluflyer06

Bikes: 08' Bad Boy Ultra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the Masi Speciale Commuter its got a nice build to it, I also love my '09 KHS Flite 100 that I picked up new for $300 on ebay and am having a wheelset built and will upgrade a couple other parts along the way.
Old 03-16-10, 04:10 PM
kiloka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been looking into the same. I havnt looked at what you mentioned but you may also check out the eighthinch bikes that are out there. Pretty affordable and good equipment. Also your going to get pushed to bikes direct and kilo tts on this board. While they may be ok bikes for the money don't go off and buy one based on bias opinions
Old 03-16-10, 04:22 PM
seedubs1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously.....Check out IRO and Wabi if you don't want to be replacing components right away.
Old 03-16-10, 05:25 PM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seedubs1
Seriously.....Check out IRO and Wabi if you don't want to be replacing components right away.
I agree. There really was no reason for me to replace anything on my Wabi Classic. Of course, I did anyway.
Old 03-16-10, 05:40 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
You know what would be cool? If there was some sort of place where you could go and see some bikes and try them on for size. Maybe even test ride. And at this "shop" (I'm gonna call it) there would be some knowledgeable people to tell you the pros and cons in person. Call me crazy, but THEN these employees would not only sell you a bike, but make sure you get properly fitted on it and help you get proper accessories. And check this, I know this sounds crazy, but what if...you could take your bike back there if something broke and get it fixed for FREE ON THE SPOT if it was a warranty issue or maybe pay a small fee if it were not a warranty issue.

Man, THAT would be awesome. Then we wouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on something that we've only seen professional pictures of and have to buy it via mail order like it's 100 years ago and we order from the Sears Catalog and hope it fits.

I'm such a dreamer.

Old 03-16-10, 06:02 PM
Brian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
You know what would be cool? If there was some sort of place where you could go and see some bikes and try them on for size. Maybe even test ride. And at this "shop" (I'm gonna call it) there would be some knowledgeable people to tell you the pros and cons in person. Call me crazy, but THEN these employees would not only sell you a bike, but make sure you get properly fitted on it and help you get proper accessories. And check this, I know this sounds crazy, but what if...you could take your bike back there if something broke and get it fixed for FREE ON THE SPOT if it was a warranty issue or maybe pay a small fee if it were not a warranty issue.

Man, THAT would be awesome. Then we wouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on something that we've only seen professional pictures of and have to buy it via mail order like it's 100 years ago and we order from the Sears Catalog and hope it fits.

I'm such a dreamer.

You're quite obviously referring to the "shop" I once worked at, not the one closest to my house.

When buying an inexpensive single speed or fixed gear, there's not any great advantage to buying locally, if you are the slightest bit handy with bicycle tools.
Old 03-16-10, 06:03 PM
Bobby Sixkiller
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

I'm such a dreamer.

Came here to say this, but carleton not only already said it, but he said it better than I could have.
Old 03-16-10, 06:13 PM
Bobby Sixkiller
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian

When buying an inexpensive single speed or fixed gear, there's not any great advantage to buying locally, if you are the slightest bit handy with bicycle tools.
In my opinion there is indeed a great advantage (several actually) to buying your first fixed gear locally - you're able to get properly fitted for and test ride the models you're interested in, and if there are any warranty issues you can return, exchange, or have the bike repaired locally and usually within one day. Of course the prices may be higher and the inventory may be limited compared to what's available on-line, but I'd still err on the side of buying a first bike locally.

Obviously people who have been riding for some time and have a better understanding of what they want/need may opt to purchase bikes from internet retailers, but I think those with limited experience would be better served by visiting a brick and mortar store and trying out a few bikes in the real world first.
Old 03-16-10, 06:22 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian
You're quite obviously referring to the "shop" I once worked at, not the one closest to my house.

I don't think that buying online is bad. I would just like for new riders to at least give their local shops a try before going online. Online is good if you know what you want. But, for the uninitiated, it can be sort of stressful.

Bike shops don't get a fair shake in the DIY culture here. Yes, there *are* some sorry bike shops...as well as sorry online retailers, too. I guess my point is, Why not at least have a look at the LBS. A lot of them are now carrying SSFG bikes. A lot more now than a few years ago.

Also, I'd drive 30 minutes and pay an extra 5-10% to buy from a person and get it today as opposed to buying anonymously and waiting 2 weeks. But, that's just me.
Old 03-16-10, 07:07 PM
shubonker
danke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big supporter of DIY so i'd definitely say go with the motobecane. You'd be left with plenty of money to swap out pedals, saddles to your liking. Purchasing a new stem for better fit, and handlebars for personal preference/comfort. With such a vast resource online, you can't go wrong. Plus if anything you can always bring your bike to a local bikeshop and i'm sure they'd be happy to take your money.

Btw the messenger is singlespeed, not fg AFAIK.
Old 03-16-10, 09:00 PM
GTmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seedubs1
I'll second for IRO. I bought their 'WTF' a few months back and love it! Very nice bike for the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.