Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia: Lock recommendations?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 06:54 PM
alcahueteria

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm moving to Philly in the next couple months, probably late summer. I'm in Pacific Beach in San Diego now and I've lived in Atlanta for a few years before. I've always used a krypto evo mini-u and a cable, but I'm worried.

I'll be living in center city, going to school at UArts which is right there, and I highly doubt I'll always be able to take it inside. So I'm wondering if I need to upgrade. Whatever is necessary.

I was looking into a fahgetaboutit and an evo chain but I wasn't sure if that was overkill or if I should step up the chain to the NY one too.

My bike is worth the money, but it is not needed why do it. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 04-22-10, 05:40 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Can't help you much about the lock as I have never locked my bike up in Philly. I have never had trouble bringing my bike inside with me. Maybe I just have a way with the shopkeepers. My one question is....do you want to go to Art School in Philly that badly to leave Pacific Beach? I have a freind from scholl who lives out there and I have visited 3 times. I swear I will not be coming back if I ever visit there again. What a great area.

Cheers,

Brian J.

― Bruce Lee
Old 04-22-10, 05:46 PM
sooprvylyn
I suck, but you're worse

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your evo Mini is sufficient, just like in Hotlanta. I would never leave my bike anywhere outside for an extended period of time, but the fahgetaboutit lock is damn near indestructible. The Fahgetaboutit chain is hella heavy, but you can always keep it locked to the bike rack at campus and use it when you go to class, nobody will be able to remove the lock without a plasma torch. Just use the Mini when you are going to the store or bar or whatever.
Old 04-25-10, 12:06 PM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright good to know. I'll probably just roll with my current set up and see how it goes. Maybe get some of those pitlock skewers or something.
Old 04-30-10, 07:06 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22610 Post(s)
Liked 8,934 Times in 4,164 Posts
I suggest you get a really crappy beater bike to use as a commuter to get you back/forth to school. That will not be attractive to thieves. Keep your "good" bike, assuming you have one, inside.
Old 05-01-10, 12:49 AM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to do that, but it's kind of a can of worms. I built my 29er rigid so it could be a beastly street bike too. Unfortunately as a side affect, it's quite nice. However I don't think I'll have much time to ride it if I keep it strictly a mountain bike because I'll be in the middle of the city and then it would be silly to have such a nice bike that never gets ridden. Also that means that I'll probably have to spend money I don't have to come up with this second bike. Having it a crappy beater is great but if it's the bike I'll be riding 90% of the time I'll want it somewhat decent and reliable. For me it's a bit of an elusive bike to come by. I am definitely keeping an eye out though, but for now it makes more sense just to ride the crap out of the bike I do have and do my best to ensure it gets locked up well when it's not at home. (At home it will obviously be inside!)
Old 05-02-10, 11:23 AM
sellwinerugs

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Kryptonite Kryptolock U lock for running around town. Never had a problem during the day. At night is a different story, and I'd recommend you bring your bike inside. I'd say your mini will work as long as you don't leave it for long. Welcome to Philly.
Old 06-08-10, 12:16 AM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://unbreakable-bonds.blogspot.co...0-shocker.html

hate to bring it back up, but do you all still think my mini evo u-lock will be sufficient? I wish I could find a more current list.