Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Weird symptom... bent riding related?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 08:52 AM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

In the last couple of weeks I have been plaqued with the strangest thing - sore achilles tendons when going down stairs. I am talking really sore, as in wincing and hobbling the rest of the way down. It happens when my ankle is bent forward and bearing weight (as in when my foot on the upper stair is bearing weight and the lower foot is nearly making contact with the bottom step). It seems that the combination of the tendon being stretched and bearing weight is the condition for the pain.

Commuting by bent to work is my main source of exercise and the only way that I really stress my body. I have ridden uprights for years without these symptoms. Is there something about bents that might cause this? Has anyone else expereinced anything like this?
Old 11-01-05, 08:56 AM
motorhommmer

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, Brompton, Trek 1500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mars
In the last couple of weeks I have been plaqued with the strangest thing - sore achilles tendons when going down stairs. I am talking really sore, as in wincing and hobbling the rest of the way down. It happens when my ankle is bent forward and bearing weight (as in when my foot on the upper stair is bearing weight and the lower foot is nearly making contact with the bottom step). It seems that the combination of the tendon being stretched and bearing weight is the condition for the pain.

Commuting by bent to work is my main source of exercise and the only way that I really stress my body. I have ridden uprights for years without these symptoms. Is there something about bents that might cause this? Has anyone else expereinced anything like this?
Yes I did a 140km cycle this Summer and suffered from same thing. I use regular bike. Too much movement of ankle caused it. Lasted for a while and luckily coincided with holiday fro 3 weeks so when I came back it was gone.
Old 11-01-05, 09:37 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Achilles tendon problems are usually caused by reaching too far for the pedals, regardless of what platform your bike is. If you're pointing your toes, it causes the tendon to be tensed too much, leaving it vulnerable to a tear-type injury.
Old 11-01-05, 09:51 AM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ankling can easily cause Achilles tendon problems.

Sheldon Brown on ankling.
Ankling
Some older cycling books and articles recommend the practice of "ankling." This refers to changing the angle of the foot fairly drastically during the course of the pedal stroke, so that the toe is pointed upward at the top of the stroke, and downward at the bottom. The idea is to make more use of the muscles of the lower leg, and to permit "pedaling in circles", i.e., applying more force to the cranks at top and bottom dead center.
This practice is pretty much discredited these days. If carried to an extreme, it can cause injury. This happened to me when I was a teen-ager; I had read about ankling, and had just acquired my first pair of toe clips, just before setting out on my first overnight tour. I ankled for about the first 30-40 miles, when there was a sudden sharp pain in one of my Achilles tendons. I had to lower the saddle, remove the toe clips, and finish out the 4 day tour pedaling on my arches, because I couldn't bear the slightest load on the front of my foot, pulling on the Achilles tendons. For about a month thereafter, I would need to massage my Achilles tendons for about 5 minutes each morning before I would be able to walk. 40 years later, I've still not completely recovered from this injury.
Old 11-01-05, 08:36 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Ankling can easily cause Achilles tendon problems.

Sheldon Brown on ankling.
Ankling
Some older cycling books and articles recommend the practice of "ankling." This refers to changing the angle of the foot fairly drastically during the course of the pedal stroke, so that the toe is pointed upward at the top of the stroke, and downward at the bottom. The idea is to make more use of the muscles of the lower leg, and to permit "pedaling in circles", i.e., applying more force to the cranks at top and bottom dead center.
This practice is pretty much discredited these days. If carried to an extreme, it can cause injury. This happened to me when I was a teen-ager; I had read about ankling, and had just acquired my first pair of toe clips, just before setting out on my first overnight tour. I ankled for about the first 30-40 miles, when there was a sudden sharp pain in one of my Achilles tendons. I had to lower the saddle, remove the toe clips, and finish out the 4 day tour pedaling on my arches, because I couldn't bear the slightest load on the front of my foot, pulling on the Achilles tendons. For about a month thereafter, I would need to massage my Achilles tendons for about 5 minutes each morning before I would be able to walk. 40 years later, I've still not completely recovered from this injury.

I carefully observed my ankles during my commute today. Contrary to the opinions expressed above (thanks, by the way) my ankles are nearly always at a rigid 90 degree angle. I noticed when I apply a lot of power, I felt a twinge in achilles tendons, near where thye connect with the heel bone. I'm wondering if the 90 degree L shape of my foot to leg is the culprit. Maybe the angle exerts leverage to the tendon?? When I pointed my foot a bit, the symptoms seemed (not totally sure) to abate. What do you folks think? Ever hear of anything like this before?
Old 11-01-05, 10:23 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe it's from over-extending the back of the leg due to that 90 degree angle. I've been slowly playing with my bent on the trainer, and when my leg is extended a bit further than on my road bike, it still "seems" like my knees are coming further back. Maybe you need to bring yourself a tad bit closer. Try adjusting so you're 1/4-3/8" closer and see if it makes a difference.
Old 11-02-05, 12:13 AM
ronsmithjunior

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider moving your cleats back (towards your ankle). It reduces how much leverage your foot can produce, easing stress on the back of the lower leg.

Ankling can work, if you do it correctly. As much as I like Sheldon Brown's advice on most things, the thing about ankling is a good example on how not to do it. Don't jump into something like this right away. Build up to it. Give your body parts time to adjust and complain if they don't like it. Done correctly, your calf muscles provide power. Done incorrectly you can cause injury. Done not at all and you are carrying around a muscle group that can help you out.
Old 11-05-05, 07:06 AM
erik forsgren

Bikes: Radius Marco Polo and Challenge Fujin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mars

I carefully observed my ankles during my commute today. Contrary to the opinions expressed above (thanks, by the way) my ankles are nearly always at a rigid 90 degree angle. I noticed when I apply a lot of power, I felt a twinge in achilles tendons, near where thye connect with the heel bone. I'm wondering if the 90 degree L shape of my foot to leg is the culprit. Maybe the angle exerts leverage to the tendon?? When I pointed my foot a bit, the symptoms seemed (not totally sure) to abate. What do you folks think? Ever hear of anything like this before?
If I were in your shoes I would consult a doctor who is expert on athletics. He would state the medical condition of your tendons and give you an appropriate trainingprogram and or traetment in order to deal with this problem.