Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trailer vs Racks & Panniers

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trailer vs Racks & Panniers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-16, 08:32 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I remember I got my first low rider rack in 2010 while preparing for a trip on Rt. 389 that runs between Labrador City and Baie Comeau, PQ. There are long stretches of gravel surface on that route. It's also largely uninhabited and I needed extra cargo space for food, hence getting low riders for the first time. A LBS owner and I were discussing the trip and he said I should use a trailer instead. Too late, I told him, I already have the rack and bags. It did make me wonder if I'd made the wrong choice. I even saw a motorcycle go by pulling a single wheeled trailer while I was on the route. However on some of the gravel sections I could pick up some pretty good speed on the downhills only to run into very loose surface conditions at the bottom. What I discovered was that the weight of the lowriders really helped keep my front wheel tracking straight instead of slewing from side to side when I plowed into these spots. I could only imagine what it would have been like if I'd had less weight down low in the front and instead had it all pushing me from behind. It would not have gone well I think. I've written about this in a t.r. here if you have any interest: https://sites.google.com/site/quebeclabrador/
Old 03-13-16, 08:53 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
is it possible to put a BOB on a bicycle with a through axle?
Originally Posted by fietsbob
if you hire a Machine Shop to make custom parts, pretty much anything is possible..
If you respond to a post with current century knowledge you will find this on the BOB website:

"The wait is over: BOB Trailers are now compatible with 12mm thru-axles & fat bikes! Our friends at the Robert Axle Project have created some great gear add-ons to ensure BOB Trailers work with your bike of choice. We’ve tested each compatible axle to our stringent BOB standards, and we are confident endorsing these products for use with our Trailers. - See more at: https://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers/yak#sthash.hq7e9q6R.dpuf"
Old 03-13-16, 09:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,499 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
Nice looking fleet! That's my dream some day! We took the baby out in the trailer yesterday and my lady was actually much more into it than I expected (she hasn't ridden since before she was pregnant). Maybe I can pull this off afterall . . .
Yeah, each camping trip is an experience to say the least. My girls see the trips as these idyllic camping experiences with no awareness as to the work that goes into each trip.
But they are a lot of fun.

Set realistic goals.
Lower expectations.
Expect and accept issues.
Plan for breaks every 7-10 miles depending on the weather and time of day.

And a WeeHoo is about the greatest piece of cycling equipment ive picked up in the last few years. Its incredibly secure and safe and lets the kid(s) participate and be part of the ride.
Old 03-14-16, 07:24 AM
northerntier

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
Straight ahead, down the road, aero effects are probably of no concern at touring speeds. Ft. bags are in the way, but not as much as YOU are. Rear bags are behind a pair of legs pumping pedals. They aren't in clean air so.....probably don't make much of a difference. I'd think that a trailer would be the same.
Unless you have a headwind, and then panniers are basically sails being blown the wrong direction. Compare coasting down long downhills between pannier-equipped and bob-equipped folk, the bob will win unless the rider is much smaller.

That said, I prefer panniers. One less large piece of machine that has to be gotton onto the plane somehow. Four big pockets instead of one, and I can vary the size of the pockets by which panniers I take (I have too many). Cleaner look.
Old 03-14-16, 08:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
thanks greg squeeze box was the one that should have had the initiative to look to answer his own question

rather than be lazy and expect others to search for him ..

Taiwan is quick to make bike parts for export .

I did not like the 1 wheel BoB trailer [had 1], on a tour it may be OK , but utility around town, the other 90+% of the time its not.

Got a $10 replacement TV brought it home from the charity shop in my bike trailer.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-14-16 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-14-16, 06:22 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Aside from trailer or rack/pannier inherent advantages, I suppose that since even casual riders often buy a rack & panniers when they get the bike, if they decide to go touring it's sometimes simpler & cheaper to just get another rack if necessary. Otherwise I imagine we'd see more riders towing trailers.
Old 03-14-16, 09:50 PM
hilltowner

Originally Posted by northerntier
Unless you have a headwind, and then panniers are basically sails being blown the wrong direction. Compare coasting down long downhills between pannier-equipped and bob-equipped folk, the bob will win unless the rider is much smaller.

That said, I prefer panniers. One less large piece of machine that has to be gotton onto the plane somehow. Four big pockets instead of one, and I can vary the size of the pockets by which panniers I take (I have too many). Cleaner look.
The BOB rider also has an advantage in a headwind the pannier rider does not have. She/he can draft off the other. The reverse is not true. I know cause I traveled the Cali coast with my brother who had a Yakima Big Tow and learned first hand how that worked.
Old 03-15-16, 05:05 AM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
More difficult and cumbersome to stealth camp or ditch those rednecks in pickup trucks when you have to deal with a trailer too. A bike with panniers is still a bike and can maneuver easily, or go down a trail.. as long as they're attached well.
Old 03-15-16, 06:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,586 Times in 7,340 Posts
Originally Posted by northerntier
Heh. My GF toured with me for a few years using a B.O.B. Despite being only 5' tall and 110 lbs. soaking wet compared to my 6' 2" and 210 lbs., she dropped me and my panniered bike on a descent into a strong headwind.
Old 05-08-16, 03:28 PM
IsraelisJewish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My observations are the "tempted to pack too much" is true of most of us. Who hasn't, on your first tour, stopped 50 miles down the road and mailed stuff back? Sometimes I STILL do this! Ha, ha! I have done this with my trailer and when I have used my panniers. It's part of the experience I suppose.
Old 05-08-16, 05:57 PM
Vexxer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnroads
More difficult and cumbersome to stealth camp or ditch those rednecks in pickup trucks when you have to deal with a trailer too. A bike with panniers is still a bike and can maneuver easily, or go down a trail.. as long as they're attached well.
The rednecks in pickup trucks? What do they do? Does that happen often?
Old 05-08-16, 07:08 PM
hilltowner

Originally Posted by Vexxer
The rednecks in pickup trucks? What do they do? Does that happen often?
Maybe not, but if it does watch out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf1rZ8E3ToM

(Moral of the story, don't flip them off if they are taunting you)

Last edited by hilltowner; 05-08-16 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 07:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,586 Times in 7,340 Posts
Originally Posted by IsraelisJewish
My observations are the "tempted to pack too much" is true of most of us. Who hasn't, on your first tour, stopped 50 miles down the road and mailed stuff back? Sometimes I STILL do this!
Never done it (except for B&W film that I was shooting along the way), but on my first tour (x-country with a ground of 13), a few people did on the third day, before we hit the mountains. One woman had brought a Sony Watchman TV and a blow dryer. WTH?