Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 08:35 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In about an hour I'm off on my Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine ride to raise money for cancer awareness. I'll be posting trip reports here but more regular ones on my website. The link is in my signature line. My rough itinerary is on the link below. Ignore the roads it says I'll be on. TravellersPoint shows the shortest route between A & B which often includes interstates where it's illegal for cyclist to ride. It's mainly to be used to see where I'll be at. If any of you are going to be in the area and want to ride with me part of the way feel free to reach out to me. My arrival/departure dates are rough until each city gets closer. All of my contact information is on my website.

Portland2Portland Travel Map by Ty0604 - Travellerspoint

Cheers!

Here's my bike and all my gear. Ditched the trailer and carrying about 20lbs of gear. Added the handlebar bag instead.

Hope to see some of you out on the road this summer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imageedit_2_9115364030.jpg (34.3 KB, 297 views)
Old 05-02-16, 12:01 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far I've done about 75 miles and am in Bingen, Washington. I've been fighting a terrible headwind so far all the way from Portland. Another 40 miles today into Goldendale. It's about 85*F here. Motorist have been great and the roads okay. Going to post a report on the Columbia River Scenic Trail in the Pacific Northwest Regional section for anyone interested.

Total money spent so far: $13.78 - All on coffee and food.
Old 05-03-16, 06:38 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditched a ton of gear earlier today. My hammock, straps, bug net, underquilt, handlebar bag and water filter mainly. Lost about 8lbs. Now carrying about 12lbs of gear (includes the weight of two water bottles and a camelback; empty).

The sprinklers went off in my campground last night and got soaked. The fire department in my next town let me use their dryer and shower though. Wasn't fun carrying the extra water weight up Sakus Pass.

Ate just a bagel today. Nothing at all between my stops today. 50 miles of highway. Not even a rest stop.

Total cost for 3 days is $15.07 - All on coffee and food. No campground fees yet etc.
Old 05-03-16, 07:25 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
An adventure of a lifetime! Subscribed!
Old 05-03-16, 07:48 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
So Dang cool. Like a dream. Ride on.
Old 05-04-16, 04:21 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made my first rest stop. Richland, WA. Best friend lives here so I'll be here til Saturday visiting. I've done about 230 miles so far.

Ran into rain for the first time today. After biking in 80-90*F dry heat of Eastern Washingtons high desert country I enjoyed the short storm that passed through!

I'm not eating much at all on this trip. Spent $4.50 at Safeway last night and $5.00 at an IGA today. .50 cents at Safeway was on postcards and $2.00 at IGA on a pack of screws to replace one I lost on my pedal. My total food cost for 4 days is $22.07 and total spent is $24.07. Yesterday as I came up one of the hills I noticed a lot of change in the gravel so I stopped to pick it up. Over $4.00 in silver. Must have been a few hundred pennies laying around too but didn't bother.

Rode the Yakima Valley Scenic Bikeway today and posted a report on it in the Pacific Northwest Region forum.

It won't let me post photos from my phone so anyone wanting to see photos can see them on my Instagram at Portland_2_Portland

That's all until this weekend.
Old 05-04-16, 05:47 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is awesome! Are you posting a more in-depth journal elsewhere? Enjoy the ride/trip!
Old 05-08-16, 07:02 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoShiftSherlock
This is awesome! Are you posting a more in-depth journal elsewhere? Enjoy the ride/trip!
I am in a paper journal. At the end of my trip I plan to put my journal online word for word. Right now I only have my iPhone and it's hard to post as much as I'd like!
Old 05-08-16, 07:11 PM
dashely

Bikes: Rodriguez 6-Pack, Giant Halfway

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have a great trip
Old 05-08-16, 07:13 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day 5. Rode my first century and much more. 160 miles from Richland, WA to Lewiston, ID. The last 40 miles were almost all downhill. Over 14 hours of riding. I was scheduled to leave Richland yesterday but went to urgent care to deal with some tendonitis in my Achilles. The Meloxicam they gave me seemed to help a lot. I skipped my scheduled Walla Walla stop to stay on schedule.

Temps dropped from the high 90's to low 80's today.

Had to pay for my first campground here at Hells Gate State Park and replenish done toiletries. Total cost of the trip is $46.49. $29.29 on food and $17.20 on all other items.

Tomorrow ill try to make Kamiah. Tuesday somewhere on Lolo Pass. Wednesday Missoula, MT and the ACA for my second schedule rest stop before I head south to Yellowstone.

My MapMyRide deal is on my website for anyone who'd like to see.

I'm exhausted.
Old 05-08-16, 07:14 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dashely
Have a great trip
Thank you!
Old 05-08-16, 11:57 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Have A fun and safe ride/trip.
And the weather has been jumping all around in the northwest.60 high one day,and the next day 80 degrees.
Old 05-11-16, 10:22 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had service since Monday! The last 3 days I've ridden 233.34 miles. Lewiston to Kamiah, Kamiah to Lochsa Lodge and Lochsa Lodge to Missoula. All along the same road I've been on since just outside Walla Walla; US Highway 12. It's by far the worst highway I've ever biked on. Potholed and tore up from snow chains. Not a single store for an 88 mile stretch at one point. The climb to the summit of Lolo Pass was rough but I did much worse in Washington.

Refer to my website for more detailed reports.

Spent $13.68 on food the last 3 days and $21.62 at the KOA in Kamiah. Lochsa Lodge was free and staying with someone from the ACA here in Missoula. This is my rest stop so I'll be here for at least a day.

So far I've spent $42.97 on food and $38.82 on "other" bringing my total trip cost to $81.79.
Old 05-12-16, 09:40 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I added a second map to my TravellersPoint website. I was going to edit the original map but instead labeled that as "Portland2Portland Planned Route" and the new one "Portland2Portland Actual Route." I'll be updating my actual route as time/cell service allows.

My route from Richland to Lewiston went through Walla Walla but I couldn't force the map to go through Walla Walla so it's a little inaccurate in that stance. It's more to be used to see where I went from/to instead of an actual route.

https://secure.travellerspoint.com/m...stopid=6327992
Old 05-15-16, 01:08 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last 3 days I've ridden from Missoula to Darby, Darby to Wisdom and Wisdom to Jackson.

The climb over Lost Trail/Chief Joseph Pass between Darby and Wisdom was pretty rough but not the hardest pass I've had to climb.

Today I was suppose to go Wisdom to Dillon but ran into near blizzard like conditions and called it a day 20 miles later in Jackson.

Tomorrow I'll hit somewhere between here and West Yellowstone and then West Yellowstone on Tuesday for my next layover.

$14.13 spent on food the last three days. No other cost for camping etc. Used WarmShowers in Darby, Wisdom has a free campground and got a comped room in Jackson.

$56.10 on food (in 14 days) and $95.92 all together with the $38.82 "other" cost. Averaging about $7 a day.

Photos on my Instagram for whoever wants to see ---> Portland_2_Portland

Last edited by Ty0604; 05-17-16 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-15-16, 05:58 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Great ride, but may I ask why you're pushing so hard? And eating so little? You're going to either burn out or hurt yourself. Or both. It certainly doesn't sound relaxing at all, but clearly that's not your objective. Why are you consuming so few calories?
Old 05-15-16, 06:03 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnroads
Great ride, but may I ask why you're pushing so hard? And eating so little? You're going to either burn out or hurt yourself. Or both. It certainly doesn't sound relaxing at all, but clearly that's not your objective. Why are you consuming so few calories?
It also seems like it does not leave much time to do anything for cancer awareness, which was the main reason for your ride.
Old 05-15-16, 08:34 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
It also seems like it does not leave much time to do anything for cancer awareness, which was the main reason for your ride.
it's the thought that counts.
Old 05-17-16, 10:09 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnroads
I'm not pushing myself at all. I did 144 miles today and could have kept going. I'm in good physical shape and pushing out long miles is relaxing to me. I'm a marathon/ultra marathon runner and my body doesn't require many calories. I survived today off of a Dairy Queen blizzard, a candy bar and two packages of Top Ramen. This is my 5th long distance tour and not doing anything I haven't done on my previous 4

Originally Posted by Doug64
I've actually spoken at two different events and will attend my 3rd one on Thursday. Several more down the road. They're usually once a week roughly and my rest stops are usually planned around them.

Originally Posted by saddlesores
it's the thought that counts.
Right! And there's a lot one can do remotely as well!
Old 05-17-16, 10:18 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last two days I've done Jackson to Dillon (~45 miles) and Dillon to West Yellowstone (~144 miles). I wanted to make Twin Bridges yesterday but road work held me up for over 2 hours. I had to take a 6 mile jump because they wouldn't allow me to ride over the road work they were doing.

West Yellowstone is my layover for the week. I'll be here til Friday due to an event I'm speaking at on Thursday. Friday will be a short 14 mile day to Madison Campground. Saturday I'll make Bridge Bay and Sunday I'll hit Signal Mountain in the Grand Tetons where I'll take Monday off to hike. Tuesday is another short day; 10 miles to Jenny Lake. Wednesday I'll continue east through Wyoming.

$10.99 spent on food the last two days and $3.30 on post cards. My cheap souvenirs. No camping cost. Stayed at KOA at no cost last night and a church here until Friday. $67.09 on food & $42.12 on "other" = $109.21 total
Old 05-18-16, 06:28 AM
Hugh Morris

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The updates on your fundraising site read as quick trip reports of each day's ride from a mileage/weather standpoint, focusing pretty exclusively on the physical challenge you're undertaking, without mention of any outreach. It stands to reason the people who donated to your trip would like to hear about the positive impact you're making off the bicycle, in addition to your impressive cycling efforts.

As a hanger myself, I'm curious; why'd you ditch the hammock?
Old 05-19-16, 11:25 AM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I'm not pushing myself at all. I did 144 miles today and could have kept going. I'm in good physical shape and pushing out long miles is relaxing to me. I'm a marathon/ultra marathon runner and my body doesn't require many calories. I survived today off of a Dairy Queen blizzard, a candy bar and two packages of Top Ramen. This is my 5th long distance tour and not doing anything I haven't done on my previous 4

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. That diet is unhealthy at best. You're going to be kicking yourself when you're 40.

If you're supposedly trying to raise money for cancer research and prevention, one would think you would actually focus on health.
Old 05-19-16, 12:39 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugh Morris
The updates on your fundraising site read as quick trip reports of each day's ride from a mileage/weather standpoint, focusing pretty exclusively on the physical challenge you're undertaking, without mention of any outreach. It stands to reason the people who donated to your trip would like to hear about the positive impact you're making off the bicycle, in addition to your impressive cycling efforts.

As a hanger myself, I'm curious; why'd you ditch the hammock?
Weight! And a lack of trees where I've stayed thus far. One campground I stayed in has banned hammocks due to previous damage done by them. Campers leaving hammock ropes in trees. Only takes a few to ruin it for everyone else. I dropped roughly 3lbs when I sent my hammock set up home.

No need to mention any outreach on there. The people who are most concerned with it are on my Fscebook where those updates are posted. The donation website is more to let people know where I am on my route etc!

Originally Posted by Timequake
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. That diet is unhealthy at best. You're going to be kicking yourself when you're 40.

If you're supposedly trying to raise money for cancer research and prevention, one would think you would actually focus on health.
What's healthy for you may not be healthy for me. I know my body and I'm as healthy as I can be right now. If you're body requires high calorie intake while excising then load up on calories! Mine doesn't require a high calorie intake while exercising.
Old 05-19-16, 12:41 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS: If anyone heard about the death in Yellowstone yesterday I obviously wasn't involved but thank you for the PMs. Very sad situation but totally avoidable.
Old 05-19-16, 03:15 PM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
What's healthy for you may not be healthy for me. I know my body and I'm as healthy as I can be right now. If you're body requires high calorie intake while excising then load up on calories! Mine doesn't require a high calorie intake while exercising.
1,500 calories vs. 2,200 calories is one discussion. Trying to fuel weeks of back-to-back centuries with nothing but ice cream and candy is another. I don't care what type of body you have. Living off ice cream, top ramen, and candy bars isn't healthy for anyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.