Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

First 'bent considerations/suggestions? Advice please

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 12:38 PM
j-man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m middle-aged and considering my first ‘bent purchase. I’d like to by-pass the entry level bikes and start with a durable, well made bike that I will enjoy riding for years. Although I’ve never ridden a ‘bent, I’m quite sure that I would prefer a low BB and maybe a relatively low seat position. I’m 5’11” with an x-seam of approx. 43.5 (as best I can determine). I’m not interested in racing, but most of my riding will be for pleasure/fitness (on the rural county roads), probably an hour or two in length, with an occasional light-duty tour. I realize that my budget of $700-$1000 won’t buy a high-end bike, but can you recommend some decent models that I should definitely consider? I prefer to buy used, so can you also recommend the best place to locate used recumbents? Thanks in advance for the info.

j-man
Louisiana
Old 02-08-06, 01:54 PM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many topics similar to yours, try doing a search. I can tell you right now, most people here will tell you to visit some bike shops and try out as many bikes as you can. You don't have to buy something right away, but it will help you decide what type of 'bent is best for YOU. After you know what you want, then you can start looking for a good deal.

Of course, I'd also recommend you visit my website.
Old 02-08-06, 02:05 PM
WW7Y
Fireguy

Bikes: Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a couple of places on the web that have bent classifieds:

BentRiderOnline in the forums. This is THE bent rider site and has several for sale post/day.

https://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/index.php?

Hostel Shoppe Classifieds.

https://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...cgi?view=bikes

You should be able to find a quality used bent from a good maker in that price range. A low BB LWB like the EasyRacer Tour Easy, the RANS Stratus, can be found used. I would find a dealer and ride as many as I could before deciding. When I bought my RANS V2, I was sure I wanted a Low BB LWB but after riding several bents, both LWB and SWB, I liked the higher BB of the V2 in a LWB best.

Good Luck.
Old 02-08-06, 07:38 PM
MaxBender
Take Your Lane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may enjoy the Rans Rocket... www.ransbikes.com
I have a Rans Wave, and it does allright.

Whatever you do, test ride before you buy.
And you will probably wobble and veer a lot the first mile or two.
Old 02-10-06, 12:05 AM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Rans Stratus mentioned above, is still listed on the web site as $1,230 for the base model. The components on that model are good enough for me to use it if I went on long loaded rides. Just upgrade any parts that need replacing as they wear out.
Old 02-11-06, 12:59 PM
erik forsgren

Bikes: Radius Marco Polo and Challenge Fujin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say that the Fujin from Challenge is the very bike for you, as you want a low fast bike. I have tested a lot of recumbents already and I think the best configuration of fast lowracer is that of Optima Baron and bikes that have a similar configuration like the Fujin.The Fujin is suspended at the rear and at the front, so I consider the enduro modell to be the most versatile of them all. Naturally there are other options and many other opinions on the matter, but in my personal view Fujin is best.
Old 02-11-06, 04:37 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
get a used bikeE! good intro 'bent and can customize much!
Old 02-12-06, 12:24 AM
bentrox!
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j-man
I’m middle-aged and considering my first ‘bent purchase. I’d like to by-pass the entry level bikes and start with a durable, well made bike that I will enjoy riding for years. Although I’ve never ridden a ‘bent, I’m quite sure that I would prefer a low BB and maybe a relatively low seat position. I’m 5’11” with an x-seam of approx. 43.5 (as best I can determine). I’m not interested in racing, but most of my riding will be for pleasure/fitness..with an occasional light-duty tour. I realize that my budget of $700-$1000 won’t buy a high-end bike, but can you recommend some decent models that I should definitely consider? I prefer to buy used, so can you also recommend the best place to locate used recumbents?
A low BB usually means a more upright position - like the entry-level models you say you want to by-pass. A low seat position is typical for racing, which you're evidently not interested in. A $700-$1000 budget is a limiting factor if you really want to forego an entry level, even for a used bent. So, you've set some tough search criteria. You didn't state a LWB or SWB preference but I'd say a low SWB bent like a Baron or Fujin is out-of-bounds both in price and BB height (relative to seat height). Perhaps a used LWB Tour Easy is a good fit - the seat is relatively low but upright. You'll need a large frame. It has great speed potential but is not known for low-speed handling. It's perfect for touring, though.

Try bentrideronline classifieds or search Ebay. My middle-aged friend went with an Ebay Baron for his first bent ($1535.00) and is thrilled with its performance. Good luck!
Old 02-12-06, 09:34 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
What exactly is it about entry-level models that you want to avoid? If it's weight, than try to look for something under 35 pounds and preferably under 30-ish. No matter what others may say, I believe that skinnier tires and rims will be faster than fat ones, due to reasons of weight and air resistance.

The standard advice is still best. Look long and hard, and test ride everything you can find. Entry levels as well as advanced models that you *know* you won't want to buy. How else will you find out what model suits you best and which ones handle best for you and match the riding you want to do? When you've exhausted all the test rides you can come up with, do it all over again! Yep, ride the same bikes a second time. Allow at least a couple of days between riding the same one again. That way, your brain will have processed the first experience. You'd be amazed to see how different the second time will be! By then you'll know which models to start looking for in earnest.
Old 02-12-06, 11:08 AM
zoridog

Bikes: Bianchi Milano Nexus 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride as many bents as you can. You will be amazed at how your opinion solidifies after riding "the" bike.

Last year I was in your spot. Middle aged,$1000 maximum and after reading all the pro/cons of each class, I was looking at the same bikes you are considering. Tried the Bike E , Rans Rocket and Rans Stratus but nothing grabbed me. The dealer suggested I ride the Bacchetta Giro 20 even though it was $1600, an SWB with a high bottom bracket. I was afraid that I'd fall off before I got out of the parking lot. Pushed off, drove around for 20 minutes and came back from the test ride with my credit card out. I have considered getting other bents but I'll never sell the Giro.

You gotta ride to decide!
Old 02-12-06, 12:17 PM
rheba

Bikes: Mountain BikeE, electric assist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was just under 60 when I bought a used mountain bikeE. I was just too uncomfortable on upright bikes and at the time it was the only recumbent available in Massachusetts. I live in the hilly center of the state and could not get up the long steep hills without killing my knees so I searched for someone to retrofit with electric assist. First battery was a lead acid. I could go for about 8 mi. (50% up hill). Then the charger broke. I now have nimh batteries and can do 20 mi. roundtrip. I was doing that everyday till the bad weather arrived. Bike is now in shop having a volt meter installed. I think the mountain bikeE is a really good choice and you could get one used, I'll bet. They are sturdy and you can add on if you find you need some assistance.
Old 02-12-06, 06:04 PM
zoridog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sun Bicycles are the low cost brand these days. They have several models in your price range. Their EZ-1S (steel frame) is around $500. The EZ-Sport ($850)was designed by the same guy who designed the legendary Tour Easy. I'm looking at the EZ-Sport for my wife and possibly commuting.
Old 02-12-06, 07:52 PM
PaPa

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoridog
Sun Bicycles are the low cost brand these days. They have several models in your price range. Their EZ-1S (steel frame) is around $500. The EZ-Sport ($850)was designed by the same guy who designed the legendary Tour Easy. I'm looking at the EZ-Sport for my wife and possibly commuting.
FYI, the EZ Sport weighs over 40 pounds and has a seat height of nearly 27". Not an optimum choice for smaller, short legged riders.
Old 02-13-06, 07:19 PM
nedgoudy

Bikes: Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j-man
I’m middle-aged and considering my first ‘bent purchase. I realize that my budget of $700-$1000 won’t buy a high-end bike, but can you recommend some decent models that I should definitely consider?
j-man
Louisiana
I would seriously recommend the EZ - SPORT if you are absolutely
hung up on a low BB. It is in your prices range (top end.)
See it here: https://www.easyracers.com/ez_sport.htm

But frankly, I wouldn't want you to buy that bike before
you road a medium/large Lightning Thunderbolt A-10 which is
in your price range too. This bike has a High BB and pedals
in front of the front wheel but it is lighter and faster than
the EZ (You can get this bike on a public conveyance, where
the EZ line is too long a wheel base for a bus rack.)

While someone recommended a Rans Rocket, they have
a 20 inch tire in back and the Thunderbolt has a 26" tire
in the rear. It has 24 speeds and with practice you will
be able to go faster and farther with it than the EZ SPORT
with the LOW BB in my experience. And with its 24 speeds,
more than enough to climb the highest hills or haul ass
on the flats and the downhill runs. I own one and highly
recommend it for a bike in your price range.

Check this bike out at:
https://www.lightningbikes.com/thunderbolt.htm

You could even buy the bike from the factory and
have them ship it to you. You might just be able
to save some money that way too. I got a DEAL on
mine cause I drove up and picked it up at the factory.

Call Tim or LeQuan and ask them if they have any
of last year's frame models you could get at a discount.
Sometimes they have demo bikes for sale too.

Ned Goudy
Lightning Thunderbolt https://www.lightningbikes.com/thunderbolt.htm
Easy Racer EZ1-SC https://www.easyracers.com/ez_1_sc.htm
Old 02-13-06, 10:27 PM
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess that everyone here has offered suggestions as to what you should be riding and some had better suggestions than others. IMO I think you need too check out the Bacchetta Cafe' https://www.bacchettabikes.com/web/products/index.html it's $995 I 'd believe it would be an ideal bike for your purpose. Weight is good 32lbs, 26 rear 20 front and a reasonable component package. Again IMO can't beat the bike for the price.

Last edited by Ric; 02-13-06 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 08:44 AM
zoridog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never ridden one but the Cafe' does look good. I can recommend Bacchetta bikes for quality and customer service.

By the way, you need to buy a kickstand for Bacchetta bikes. Calhoun Cycle is the only game in town. They have excellent customer service!
Old 02-14-06, 09:32 AM
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoridog
I've never ridden one but the Cafe' does look good. I can recommend Bacchetta bikes for quality and customer service.

By the way, you need to buy a kickstand for Bacchetta bikes. Calhoun Cycle is the only game in town. They have excellent customer service!
J-man said he didn't want a high BB and the Café is an even plane seat angle which I thought would be more too his liking and It is also in the price range he mentioned. I feel it's just a good all around bike with a great company too back it up. Oh and as a friend of mine said kickstands are cheap and available all over, park benches, trees, walls, etc. I'd never degrade my strada with a kickstand.(they look tacky)
Old 02-17-06, 11:40 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
If you find a recumbent that you particularly like but can't afford, check out some of the websites that have for-sale forums. I have purchased several used recumbents, both locally and at some distance and never regretted getting used over new. I didn't know much about recumbents when I started and the nearest dealer is 300+ miles away. I first bought a used BikeE AT for $600 from a local owner. It was a horrible choice, heavy and very inefficient. Three months later I found just the right recumbent - for a time- in a 1997 Linear LWB for $500 (also local). I rode it 3,000 miles in the first 11 months so it obviously suited my needs. I have bought much more expensive recumbents since then, including a Greenspeed GTO trike that would retail for $5,400 new but cost me $2,600 delivered. I asked a lot of questions before sending off the $2,600 and was not disappointed by my trike. It is a heck of a lot better than the brand new Wizwheelz 3.4 I bought from the factory in Michigan in 2003. Nice thing about used is that you can resell them at little loss if you find it just doesn't work out.