Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I have a pedal fetish

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I have a pedal fetish

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 07:40 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 836 Posts
Pedals, pedals...

I have a few interesting sets in the current collection.

When I was young and fast, I liked aero platform pedals on my racing bike like the MKS Esquartz. Although the ones I raced on are long gone, I have this set of Sakae Ringyo SP-12s. Don't know what they'll end up on, but they should be good for more service.

I have been a fan of Suntour componentry for more than four decades. Now it would be wonderful if I had a gripping epic story to accompany this set of Superbe Pros, but the reality is I got them at a swap back in the 90s for cheep from someone who had recently switched to clip-ins. My son used them for a few years, but now they're back in storage. The cartridge bearings are super-smooth, and I'm sure they'll be "superbe" for some future C&V build.

I also happened into a pair of MKS MTLUX pedals, which also seem to have smooth sealed bearings and are not too badly scarred from an earlier career on a high-end MTB. Again, awaiting just the right bike for putting back into use.

So what kinds of pedals do I actually ride now in my old late middle age? These days, if I'm not using SPD, I prefer a larger foot support than a classic quill pedal, so bear traps and platforms are what I'm using, along with PowerGrips or toe clips.

It's interesting in that my favorite combo is a bear trap with PowerGrips, but I don't have a photogenic version of that setup I can share at the moment.

Pedals are like saddles - they're an important part of the rider-bicycle interface, and people can show fierce favoritism for something that works well for them. And that's probably a good thing.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-03-24, 01:50 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur

Pedals are like saddles - they're an important part of the rider-bicycle interface, and people can show fierce favoritism for something that works well for them. And that's probably a good thing.
Truer words have seldom been spoken, I can't ride well without these, I have them on all my riders and spares at the ready.

And some like these,

Old 04-07-24, 08:44 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

har be wun an enthusiast doona encounter ever' dae...

Torrington 4-Star

being worn by a nineteen forties era Schwinn Paramount track machine -

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-07-24, 10:21 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Thank you sir.
-----

here is a Phillips catalogue page of 1935 illustrating what is likely to be the launch edition of the Apollo -

at the other end of their production life, ca. 1970, came this edition badged as Raleigh with black plastic dustcovers -

the above Raleigh built machine is badged as Phillips and dates from 1969

its Apollo model pedals are marked as Raleigh

following two and one-half year of part time on-again/off-again work by owner/restorer the cycle came out looking pretty good...

---

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...109&AbsPos=238

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-07-24 at 10:28 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-07-24, 10:50 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
taint vintage, but classic

I moved on to some bland Shimano product, but miss these.
I hope to find something with the ease of entry and release before it's too late "Baby".

Last edited by bironi; 04-07-24 at 10:56 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 04-08-24, 04:48 PM
retroman57 

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Italian city bike pedals

MKS 3000 (L) and Way Asauto Toro(R) pedals fitted with repro pedal blocks and spacers for an Italian city bike project
Likes For retroman57:
Old 04-08-24, 04:53 PM
retroman57 

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
Lyotard Berthet

Lyotard Berthet pedals with repro TA toe clip leathers by C. Brenn Bags in Scotland
Likes For retroman57:
Old 04-08-24, 07:37 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,411 Posts
Barrel stamped Rola, cage branded F for Frejus. Signior Ghelfi apparently mixed and matched.