Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Clip on bars

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Clip on bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 07:03 AM
Gehena

Bikes: 2014 Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clip on bars

I do not, nor do i intend to start anytime soon, do triathlons. However, i expect you guys to be a lot more experienced in this subject, and so i've come here looking for advice. I'm looking to get a cheap clip on aero bar but not sure what i should be looking at. I currently have $50 in gift cards for amazon so i looked there, but my lack of knowledge has kept me from making any real decisions. Basically, i need to know what to look for in a bar. Is there a particular style that would work best? How much would i be looking to spend on something reliable? I want one more for comfort than speed, is this realistic? Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you in advance.
Old 03-26-15, 12:25 PM
trsidn 
Jeff Vader

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
It may just be me, but I would get a couple sprint triathlons under your belt with a good road bike before worrying about aero bars.
Old 03-26-15, 12:31 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a set of Profile Design bars for the occasional TT and used them in a stage race with a TT stage. I think they were $60 and are easy to switch from bike to bike. I don't change my road bike for them so I am not as low as I would like, but they are nice to have and I tend to do better with them.
Old 03-27-15, 01:20 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Due to upper body issues, I frequently utilizing the aerobars on my road bikes, I'm 65. For years I was comfortable using Profile design Air Stryke bars but then a friend gave me his Profile Design T4+ bars and they are even better. You might have to try a number of styles out before finding the best one for you.

Good selection from Amazon but it would be financially better if you had a LBS with a try-it out policy.
Old 03-27-15, 01:39 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, shorty aerobars designed for road bikes work great! I have a set of Profile Design Jammer GT Aerobars on my road bike and love them. I'm faster with the aerobars and they make my long rides more comfortable.

A few things to remember. You don't want to change your position on the road bike so you need aerobars that will accommodate your current riding set up which is much slacker than a Tri bike set up. That's where Shorty aerobars come into play. They usually have the arm rests positioned between your handle bars and seat. The end of the shorty bars usually don't stick out much farther than the ends of the shift levers. Your hip to leg riding angle remains the same as your current set up and everything is good.

If you pick up aerobars designed for a Triathlon bike, the arm rests are usually at or forward of the handle bars. This set up will not work well with a road bike because it stretches you out way to much making for a uncomfortable, inefficient and twitchy ride. (don't ask my how I know)

I would go for it.
Old 03-29-15, 06:56 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
My favorite are the tec9 tt bars sold on amazon. 50$ right up your alley.
Old 05-17-15, 04:14 PM
b2run

Bikes: KHS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would get one where the pads flip up. That way, if you get tired of riding aero, the pads will flip up and you can put your hands on the bars. It gives you one more option other than the drops.
Old 05-21-15, 05:49 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Bike fit baby........its all about the fit. & ur flexibility....
Old 06-18-15, 03:09 AM
_ediri

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I intend the same but i order also the right seat post! I bought this one -> Profile Design Fast Forward So you get also a more Tri-Bike seat position which is also important.