Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which bike defines America?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 05:09 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

So I'm in a bit of American mood as of late. I don't know if it's because of hanging around with the people here at BF or the lovely girl that has crossed my path earlier this year (who is of American descent), but I suddenly find myself eating peanut butter-jelly sandwiches whist reading the old classic paperback novels or watching westerns. Further exploring this transatlantic line the thought occurred me - which bicycle defines America?

Is it a grand and easy cruiser, like the Monark Silverking? Is it the paramount of the bike industry from Schwinn? Is it one of the early high-wheelers and safeties that sparked road construction, urban sprawl and female emancipation (if some accounts are to be believed)? Could it be one of the customs in which the old world craft reached it's pinnacle in the new one, for instance a Carlsbad Masi or one of the many current independent frame builders?

The reasons for nominating can be manifold - technological, cultural, economic or even personal... As usual, the thread is useless without pics, but no other restrictions to the answers apply. I'm sure there's no definite answer, but I'd like to hear your nominations.
Old 09-16-11, 05:24 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Seriously though, the Cruiser is the original American bike, and from the cruiser two other American bikes have descended: MTB and BMX.

The cruiser reflects the American obsession with cars and motor vehicles.. the original cruisers were meant to look just like motorcycles without motors. MTBs and BMX bikes both evolved from cruiser bikes, and BMX especially retains that motorcycle-inspired vibe (the M in BMX even standing for motor). MTBs on the other hand reveal our exploratory spirit; our country is large and vast, with many wide open spaces to explore.

Finally, cruisers, BMX and MTBs are all more recreational than utilitarian, which is in line with the fact most Americans view bikes more as toys than useful vehicles.

Last edited by frantik; 09-16-11 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-16-11, 05:39 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
Dang! You beat me to it!!! This is America, all the way!

OK, that one already done, I'd go with Paramount if you had to have a less traditional American saddle than the example frantik posted.
Old 09-16-11, 05:42 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Well, it wouldn't be competitive, we leave that to the Japanese.
Well, it wouldn't be all that beautiful, we leave that to the Europeans.
Well, it wouldn't be cheap, we leave that to outsourcing everywhere else.

However, we can dress up like a clown and still conquer, so the 7-11 Huffy it is.

or whatever Curious George rides.
Old 09-16-11, 05:45 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
That guy on the left,...he's either putting his ATM card away, texting, or getting ready to roll another one. So American.
Old 09-16-11, 05:51 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
The couch bike guys are from Canada.

30-40 years ago, Schwinn defined America in the bicycle sense.

Now, it's Trek.
Old 09-16-11, 05:57 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I'd have to say it would be the namesake Schwinn American, in black or red, with a Wald basket and a non-drive side photo.

... and a doggie.
Old 09-16-11, 05:57 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Seriously though, the Cruiser is the original American bike, and from the cruiser two other American bikes have descended: MTB and BMX.

The cruiser reflects the American obsession with cars and motor vehicles.. the original cruisers were meant to look just like motorcycles without motors. MTBs and BMX bikes both evolved from cruiser bikes, and BMX especially retains that motorcycle-inspired vibe (the M in BMX even standing for motor). MTBs on the other hand reveal our exploratory spirit; our country is large and vast, with many wide open spaces to explore.

Finally, cruisers, BMX and MTBs are all more recreational than utilitarian, which is in line with the fact most Americans view bikes more as toys than useful vehicles.
Thanks for the LOL and useful answer. Any particular bikes that spring to mind when referring to the BMX and MTB's? I can imagine an early Ritchey, Yeti, Klein, Marin or something like that could fit the MTB bill, but i'm out of my depth on BMX's.
Old 09-16-11, 05:59 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Originally Posted by auchencrow
I'd have to say it would be the namesake Schwinn American, in black or red, with a basket and a non-drive side photo.
Wow, that's a wonderful bike. How old is it? I'm not really good at dating cruisers. Or cruising for dates, for that matter.
Old 09-16-11, 06:01 AM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
Wow, that's a wonderful bike. How old is it? I'm not really good at dating cruisers. Or cruising for dates, for that matter.
I'm not an expert in dating cruisers either but it is safe to say it's mid-sixties. (It's not mine)
Old 09-16-11, 06:01 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle

30-40 years ago, Schwinn defined America in the bicycle sense.

Now, it's Trek.
I agree with this, but I think Americans continue to hold this association today, even though the company is presently a shadow of it's former glory.

And I'm afraid the bike itself would be less Paramount, and more likely a beach cruiser or a Varsity.
Old 09-16-11, 06:08 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by bbattle
you can tell because they aren't fat enough

I'm pretty sure the original BMX bikes were Schwinn Stingrays.. i'm not a big bmx guy

The Cruiser also led to the "lowrider" bike, which I think is also a truly American bike.. again taking styling cues from automobiles

Old 09-16-11, 06:13 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
America cannot be defined by a bicycle. Sorry, it just can't.
Old 09-16-11, 06:15 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Schwinn Excelsiors were the first mountain bikes / klunkers

Old 09-16-11, 06:21 AM
Elev12k

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
For as far the development of competition bicycles I think the mountainbike is an important contribution from the US. The roadrace scene tended to be very conservative. MTB development went very rapidly and the market adopted the techniques easily. Of course this businessmodel generated more profits and jobs than a conservative model. Nowadays people can blow their money on buying a new roadbike each couple of years, because the old one is perceived as rubbish within a blink of the eye.

The US lifted the bike to a next level as consumer product.
Old 09-16-11, 06:28 AM
bikemanbob

Bikes: Bertoni Corsa Mondiale, Bridgestone T-700, Miyata 700 GT, Trek 600, Trek 560 Professional Series, Chrome Panasonic DX 2000, Peugeot PH12, Peugeot PX10, Schwinn World Voyageur, Schwinn Circuit, and Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Simply because of its popularity among the masses, I would say the Schwinn Varsity. Few bikes have as much recognition as the Varsity. Also, it seems like everyone has owned one at one time. This is a Schwinn Varsity Tourist.

Old 09-16-11, 06:35 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Italuminium, As far as truely an American innovation, the mountain bike.

As a kid in the '60s the cruiser, usually a Schwinn or a Columbia defined that era, followed by the highly successful bannana seat bicycles, again led by Schwinn with it's StingRay model. I had a black Schwinn American very similar to the bike in post #7, BTW.

While the Paramount was a quality road bike, it was based more on European engineering of the day, a good thing. It probably wasn't until the mid '80s when American road bikes, exploring alternate tubing materials and diameters started to become popular world wide, but again they don't really define the 'American bike'.

Brad

Last edited by bradtx; 09-16-11 at 06:40 AM. Reason: corr
Old 09-16-11, 06:35 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Elev12k
For as far the development of competition bicycles I think the mountainbike is an important contribution from the US. The roadrace scene tended to be very conservative. MTB development went very rapidly and the market adopted the techniques easily. Of course this businessmodel generated more profits and jobs than a conservative model. Nowadays people can blow their money on buying a new roadbike each couple of years, because the old one is perceived as rubbish within a blink of the eye.

The US lifted the bike to a next level as consumer product.

True, about the MTB. And let's not forget that the US played a large part both in the development of the bicycle and the rise of bicycle racing as a serious sport. I don't think that helps answer the question, though.

The most "classic american" image I can think of, involving a bicycle, is of a boy delivering newspapers. The bicycle has balloon tires, fenders, and a gas tank. It has to have a gas tank.

Last edited by rhm; 09-16-11 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-16-11, 06:42 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,380 Times in 893 Posts
Old 09-16-11, 06:45 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Originally Posted by rhm
True, about the MTB. And let's not forget that the US played a large part both in the development of the bicycle and the rise of bicycle racing as a serious sport. I don't think that helps answer the question, though.

The most "classic american" image I can think of, involving a bicycle, is of a boy delivering newspapers. The bicycle has balloon tires, fenders, and a gas tank. It has to have a gas tank.
Those reels on board track racing are so awesome. These guys really had some guts, and the guys doing it on motorcycles even more. The sight of a high wheeler race must have been very impressive too.
Old 09-16-11, 06:48 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Schwinn Black Phantom.
Old 09-16-11, 06:50 AM
that_guy_zach

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trek 720 was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the title. I cant help but think of the sheer number of Americans who explored this country by bike in the 80's on a 720.
Old 09-16-11, 06:52 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
40 years ago I'd definitely say the Schwinn Varsity.
20 years ago it was definitely a Cannondale MTB.

Today?

I guess Trek, whatever their most popular/cheapest hybrid is...regardless of where they're built.
Old 09-16-11, 06:56 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
40 years ago I'd definitely say the Schwinn Varsity.
I don't know - 40 years ago the Stingray and it's variants were pretty iconic bikes, and reflected well the quintessentially American muscle car culture. Much as the previous Aerocycle, autocycle, and Black Phamtom/Panther reflected American fascination with airplanes and big cars.
Old 09-16-11, 07:00 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

O wow, that black phantom is very, very nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.