Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16, 02:14 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Just ordered a set of Flo 30s on their "blemished wheel sale".
$398 instead of $498

Vs the Flo 60s I previously had:

Pros:
Cheaper
Lighter
Not as difficult to ride in 25 mph highway 1 winds
No fairing to collect water mid-race and slow me down

Con:
Slightly less aerodynamic
Old 12-29-16, 04:38 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got a new monitor today at work ... larger and substantially more vibrant than the one it replaced. Unfortunately, I only received one, so the second monitorin looks sadly small and dim next to the new one.
Old 12-30-16, 11:03 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I don't ride outside much. This is why. A friend of mine posted this earlier...

I was on my bike Wednesday Morning on a country road when I was struck from behind by a truck. Driver did not stop or even slow down. I landed in a road side ditch the phone in my Jersey was smashed I could not call for help dragged body not knowing the extent of the injuries just that it was my back that damaged and did not what to try to stand so I dragged my body out of ditch into the road waited until car saw me fortunately one did driver dialed 911 and ambulance took me to ____________ Hospital in __________ where I have been for Three days.

After several full body scans they found the hit fractured vertebrae (T12) spinal cord does not appear damaged or do I have symptoms so far. Hopefully it will heal and stay in position and eliminate need for surgery. I have a lot of back pain but no signs of neurological damage my organs appear undamaged just some abrasions. Doctors fitted me will full back brace that I must wear for six weeks and that I can go home today. Doctors will monitor the progress with with multiple X-ray over the next 6 weeks to confirm fracture doesn't compress more or I will require future surgery.
Old 12-30-16, 11:07 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Just saw that on facebook as well ... the more I read these the less I ride solo on the road. Group rides are a bit better due to the visibility in numbers.
Old 12-30-16, 12:37 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I need to save pennies and invest in that blinker/camera thingiemagic.

Some people are just POS.
Old 12-30-16, 12:53 PM
aaronmcd

How many other sports can one say they deal with multiple attempts/threats of murder/manslaughter in a typical training session?

When I think about how I would be struck and possibly killed at least once and more likely many times over every single day if I wasn't paying attention, I'm surprised at how few cyclists get killed or injured. We have to be a very aware bunch, and that still isn't good enough.

Just north of the bridge is a short tunnel with zero shoulder and a left curve that cyclists must go through (on weekdays) to get to the immensely popular hill overlooking everything beautiful. There is a sign prohibiting passing. If a car passes, blind curve, cyclist coming the other way, cyclist likely dies. I usually do this obvious look over my shoulder at the car, dramatic swerve to the center, then a dramatic swerve back to the shoulder once through the tunnel. Yet the other day the car didn't get the damn hint and floored it past me. Luckily it was not a popular time of day. Makes me wonder if it's safer to just squeeze to the right and hope that if a car passes there is enough room on the opposite side to spare a life.
Old 12-30-16, 01:05 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
How many other sports can one say they deal with multiple attempts/threats of murder/manslaughter in a typical training session?

When I think about how I would be struck and possibly killed at least once and more likely many times over every single day if I wasn't paying attention, I'm surprised at how few cyclists get killed or injured. We have to be a very aware bunch, and that still isn't good enough.

Just north of the bridge is a short tunnel with zero shoulder and a left curve that cyclists must go through (on weekdays) to get to the immensely popular hill overlooking everything beautiful. There is a sign prohibiting passing. If a car passes, blind curve, cyclist coming the other way, cyclist likely dies. I usually do this obvious look over my shoulder at the car, dramatic swerve to the center, then a dramatic swerve back to the shoulder once through the tunnel. Yet the other day the car didn't get the damn hint and floored it past me. Luckily it was not a popular time of day. Makes me wonder if it's safer to just squeeze to the right and hope that if a car passes there is enough room on the opposite side to spare a life.
This has happened to me twice in ~12 months in that tunnel, both times the cop (who's almost always positioned right outside that tunnel) saw it and pulled the ******* over.

I would imagine drivers in Marin county are a bit more used to cyclists on the road than elsewhere, but I still average 1-2 close calls a month.

And then there's this: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cana...rash-injuries/

As if 2016 couldn't get any more depressing.
Old 12-30-16, 01:58 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Makes me wonder if it's safer to just squeeze to the right and hope that if a car passes there is enough room on the opposite side to spare a life.
You are not safer on the right. In situations like this, you should really take the lane, which is what it sounds like you are doing.

And I've resumed riding with my Fly6 all the time now to have a blinker and camera on drivers, as well as started altering my routes to avoid riding on some streets. I nearly **** my bibs last week at the sound of a car skidding to a stop behind me. How they didn't see me in the middle of the lane - with a full left lane available as well on a non-busy day - is beyond me.

Like Gstein, I do most of my riding on the trainer. I only get out on the weekends.
Old 12-30-16, 03:13 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm very selective on where I ride, my commute home is an extra mile just because its a safer route. Like @topflightpro I also bought a KillCam (Fly6).

We have a 40 mile out and back bike trail that's relatively empty; and I find myself using that more. On weekends there are maybe 200 cyclists but on weekdays I may be the only guy on it. That, the crit loop, and Sunset are my go to solo rides, because they're relatively empty.
Old 12-30-16, 03:25 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
I do a lot of my riding on Fiesta Island - a 4 mi loop with zero intersections and 1-way travel only. I like to ride there because it's a controlled place to do structured riding, and it's safe. Still, a cyclist died from an incident with a motor vehicle there a year or two back if my memory serves me right.

On long ride days I just can't handle the boredom so I venture out on the open roads. Still, I'll often spend 20-30 min at the beginning AND end of a long ride on Fiesta.
Old 12-31-16, 10:12 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A very cold SS ride this morning to finish the year.

Almost 1000 miles less than 2015, but only 10 hours less. I guess I'm just getting slower.
Old 12-31-16, 11:11 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
A very cold SS ride this morning to finish the year.

Almost 1000 miles less than 2015, but only 10 hours less. I guess I'm just getting slower.
I had one hour more than last year. Surprised by that, as I thought I'd come in significantly less without two weeks in Maine over the summer. No clue on distance. I don't track that at all.
Old 12-31-16, 11:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I like to be @ 10 hours per week. Lately only 6-8. Must be why I suck more than usual.
Old 12-31-16, 03:40 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I just looked it up. I rode 3.5 fewer hours than last year.
Old 12-31-16, 04:49 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Eight hours more than my biggest previous year (2013), but more than 500 miles more. This year was my biggest year evah.
Old 12-31-16, 05:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
nice @revchuck
Old 12-31-16, 05:14 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Yeah, I have had a few very close calls this week. Something about the holidays makes people drive like complete ******bags.
Old 12-31-16, 05:14 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

$398 instead of $498

Pros:
Cheaper
Lighter

Con:
I run a front flo 30. I like it quite a bit, you chose wisely!
Old 12-31-16, 05:59 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
54 more hours this year, 2100km more. I suspect that 2017 will be even more.
Old 12-31-16, 07:56 PM
aaronmcd

According to Strava, 100 more hours (a bit over 700) but only 200 more miles (just over 11,000). And 140,000 ft more climbing (over 599,000).
Old 12-31-16, 08:21 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
100 less for me, a flu at the beginning of year, and a groin tear in July really set me back.

I'm nothing special; every cyclist with years under their belt has a stretch like this. The important thing is what happens next.
Old 12-31-16, 09:35 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
$398 instead of $498

Pros:
Cheaper
Lighter

Con:
I got the last front 30 they had- for the super windy days on the TT bike. My FLOs are wider than the rest of my wheels and the brakes on the TT bike are hard to adjust on account of how they're tucked away out of the airflow. Having the front 30 will make last-minute wheel swaps easier/faster, I can wait until I'm done with my warm-up to decide what front wheel to go with.

I was swamped at work & texted husband- can you please order this wheel for me? Lol, we had to reschedule Christmas because of a family illness, we're scrambling to get gifts for each other. His reply- Sweet. You are very easy to shop for.

Old 01-01-17, 08:56 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Yeah, I have had a few very close calls this week. Something about the holidays makes people drive like complete ******bags.
Alcohol? Stress? Thoughts more likely to be on things other than driving? Traveling to visit people and unfamiliar with the roads/tired of driving? All of the above? Don't know for sure why it is that way, but I'd agree with you.
Old 01-01-17, 10:16 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Probably. The beginning of the week I very nearly got pushed into a snowbank by someone that was not paying attention. 3 days ago I almost got hooked by a dude making a left turn. He did pull up next to me afterward and apologized, but also said he didn't see me until he heard me yell. 2 days ago I very nearly took a pickup truck's mirror to the back of my head despite riding the white line on a road with no shoulder. I've also racked up more "get off the road"s this past week than in the rest of the year in total. I don't understand where the carelessness and hostility come from.

Then of course you read/hear stories like the one gsteinb posted, the ones you're all sharing, the Canadian neopro that got killed earlier this week, locals that have been hit over the past year...

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 01-01-17 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-01-17, 08:48 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a very unfortunate story and hope he makes it back to full health soon.

Given that you ride mostly indoors, do you have some kind of a distraction (zwift, TV, ...)? Being a meditation teacher, you probably don't want a distraction anyway but I'm curious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.