Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel bikes w/flat bars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-21, 07:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
I think if you are picking flat bar due to lower back issues then you are better off with a Sirrus-type bike. The flat bar Diverge looks like it puts you in a much lower position.

BTW, I recently had micro discectomy on my L4/L5, and can't wait to be riding again. Luckily I'm in the midwest so riding is pretty much out of the question regardless.

It is absolutely a mistake to assume flat bars=more upright. Some flat bar bikes have a very "aggressive" geometry. There are a lot of drop bar gravel bikes that put the rider in a very relaxed/upright position.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 01-21-21 at 08:58 AM.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-21-21, 08:40 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It is absolutely a mistake to assume flat bars=more upright. Some flat bar bikes have a very "aggressive" geometry. There are a lot f drop bar gravel bikes that put the rider in a very relaxed/upright position.
I'm not making a hypothetical statement. I am comparing 2 bikes that actually exist right now. Which has the more relaxed position, the Sirrus or the Diverge EXO?
Old 01-21-21, 08:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I'm not making a hypothetical statement. I am comparing 2 bikes that actually exist right now. Which has the more relaxed position, the Sirrus or the Diverge EXO?

My intent was to reinforce your post and to expand on it slightly. I guess I did a poor job.
Old 01-21-21, 09:47 AM
Sal Bandini

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
My intent was to reinforce your post and to expand on it slightly. I guess I did a poor job.
LOL I guess I misread it then.

In all seriousness, I'm trying to understand the purpose of the Diverge EXO. I never thought that someone who wanted more aggressive geometry would want a flat bar.
Old 01-21-21, 11:01 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

In all seriousness, I'm trying to understand the purpose of the Diverge EXO. I never thought that someone who wanted more aggressive geometry would want a flat bar.
The first flat bar bike I ever bought had ridiculously harsh ergos. You see so often in these pages the assumption that flat bar=comfort/upright ergos that I like to warn members that could be a bad assumption.
Old 01-21-21, 11:23 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Thanks again for the great advice. It seems I need to make sure I ride the bikes so I'm getting the ergos I need and not make assumptions. Another reason I like flat bars is I just feel more comfortable with them control wise in less then perfect trails. I think this comes form my younger motocross/enduro days so I think I'll be sticking with flat bars and just making sure the bike gives me the comfort I need overall. Getting old sucks...lol.
Old 01-22-21, 03:25 PM
chancelucky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I'm using an updated 80's touring bike for gravel. I confess that I'm very rarely in the drops. The position I do use a lot is the one over the brake hoods which, on my bike, is fairly close to being in the drops. I also have a hardtail mountain bike with trekking handlebars. With the suspension and the ability to cover the brakes better when upright, I'm more confident on rough terrain. I do like having multiple hand/riding positions, but trekking handlebars might be the best way to split the difference.
Old 01-22-21, 03:53 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

A flat bar (specifically a wide flat bar) gives more control over the rough stuff.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-22-21, 04:21 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
A flat bar (specifically a wide flat bar) gives more control over the rough stuff.
This makes sense considering how wide MTB bars are these days, and the wider/flared drop bars found on many gravel bikes.
Old 01-22-21, 05:28 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
This makes sense considering how wide MTB bars are these days, and the wider/flared drop bars found on many gravel bikes.
Yeah it's all about the leverage in some situations. Even the widest gravel monster drop bars don't have nearly the leverage of 700mm+ flat bars.
Old 01-25-21, 09:54 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillimo
I have a 3 Level cervical fusion. Before it, pain caused me to ride upright. Now, my neck doesn’t work with drops. Really liking my Surly Cross Check. Comfortable bars, 42c tires run softly. Go anywhere, fun to ride! I’m good with it!

It's tricky to get a Cross Check to fit on the "upright" side of things!
Likes For pbass:
Old 01-25-21, 10:57 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
It's tricky to get a Cross Check to fit on the "upright" side of things!
Took a couple tries at stems. Good thing I’ve got a friendly co-op in town!
Super good for me now.
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 01-26-21, 09:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by chancelucky
I've noticed that my older 80's steel bikes do pretty well without a suspension fork. I think the popularity of "suspension" forks is partly due to the move to aluminum frames/forks. Less expensive aluminum
frames in the 90's sometimes needed a suspension fork. More cycnically, I also think it gave companies a reason to charge a little more. I have a higher end aluminum bike with a carbon fiber fixed fork that seems to help quite a bit with the vibration/bumps.
Suspension, in its various forms, exists for multiple reasons.

- to make a cheap bike look like a higher quality bike.
- to allow for faster riding on technical terrain.
- to allow for more comfort while stiffening frame for handling and power generation.
- to allow for safer riding on technical terrain.
- and more!

Its great that you do 'pretty well' without suspension. I do 'pretty great' without frame or component suspension. My gravel bike doesnt have any frame or component suspension and I dont think twice about it- its a road bike designed for gravel roads, the tires provide enough suspension for how/where I ride.
Questioning if suspension exists for companies to charge more is absurd. Claiming suspension is popular because aluminum became popular as a frame material 3 decades ago is absurd.

Suspension forks, stems, and seat posts all exist as options along a wide spectrum of consumer choice. Nobody is making you choose suspension so it doesnt exist just to charge more. Suspension is also on steel, carbon, and titanium frames, so it doesnt exist because aluminum became popular 30 years ago.
Suspension exists because it it beneficial for some users in certain situations. Thats it- thats all there is to it. Some use it because it allows them to ride faster and/or more comfortably and/or more safely in specific instances. Seems like a very legitimate offering, actually.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-27-21, 11:07 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Suspension, in its various forms, exists for multiple reasons.

- to make a cheap bike look like a higher quality bike.
- to allow for faster riding on technical terrain.
- to allow for more comfort while stiffening frame for handling and power generation.
- to allow for safer riding on technical terrain.
- and more!

Its great that you do 'pretty well' without suspension. I do 'pretty great' without frame or component suspension. My gravel bike doesnt have any frame or component suspension and I dont think twice about it- its a road bike designed for gravel roads, the tires provide enough suspension for how/where I ride.
Questioning if suspension exists for companies to charge more is absurd. Claiming suspension is popular because aluminum became popular as a frame material 3 decades ago is absurd.

Suspension forks, stems, and seat posts all exist as options along a wide spectrum of consumer choice. Nobody is making you choose suspension so it doesnt exist just to charge more. Suspension is also on steel, carbon, and titanium frames, so it doesnt exist because aluminum became popular 30 years ago.
Suspension exists because it it beneficial for some users in certain situations. Thats it- thats all there is to it. Some use it because it allows them to ride faster and/or more comfortably and/or more safely in specific instances. Seems like a very legitimate offering, actually.
I'll also add to your list:

-to make a cheap, heavy bike even heavier

JK. But yes your assessment of suspension is spot on. I choose bikes w/o it these days, but I wouldn't totally rule it out.
Old 01-27-21, 10:24 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
FWIW, I see the Spec. flat-bar Diverge and Sirrus X as very different. The former strikes me as much closer to, and derived from, current 29er hardtails in its geometry. If one wanted a dedicated 'rigid' 29er to ride gravel and singletrack it would make a lot of sense.

The Sirrus X strikes me as a flat-bar version of current 'gravel/road' bikes: effectively, a dedicated flat-bar version of a drop-bar Diverge, if you like. I switch out my tires between 'gravel' and 'road' on occasion (38s to 32s and back).

I don't get on well with drop-bars, so I'm perfectly happy on this bike on paved/gravel/dirt roads, and on non-technical singletrack. I'm too old and infirm to venture onto the tricky stuff any longer. Oh ... and I like the FS (mine was upgraded to 2.0). It does exactly what Spec. claims it does.

Likes For badger1:
Old 01-28-21, 07:42 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
FWIW, I see the Spec. flat-bar Diverge and Sirrus X as very different. The former strikes me as much closer to, and derived from, current 29er hardtails in its geometry. If one wanted a dedicated 'rigid' 29er to ride gravel and singletrack it would make a lot of sense.

The Sirrus X strikes me as a flat-bar version of current 'gravel/road' bikes: effectively, a dedicated flat-bar version of a drop-bar Diverge, if you like. I switch out my tires between 'gravel' and 'road' on occasion (38s to 32s and back).

I don't get on well with drop-bars, so I'm perfectly happy on this bike on paved/gravel/dirt roads, and on non-technical singletrack. I'm too old and infirm to venture onto the tricky stuff any longer. Oh ... and I like the FS (mine was upgraded to 2.0). It does exactly what Spec. claims it does.

Great bike and that's the one I think I want if I can find one. I like the 1x too. Thanks for the great info on the comparison. Was the upgrade to 2.0 costly?
Old 01-28-21, 07:53 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Great bike and that's the one I think I want if I can find one. I like the 1x too. Thanks for the great info on the comparison. Was the upgrade to 2.0 costly?
Cheers. The comparison is just my opinion, though I think an informed one. Others will (no doubt; this is Bike Forums!) disagree.

My bike came with the original FS, which was defective out of the box. It was replaced by the 2.0 under warranty, thanks to my lbs, so I don't know the cost. I'm given to understand it wouldn't be inexpensive. However, the FS 1.5 the bike now comes with is much improved over the original, and I would have been perfectly happy with that. The full hydraulic damping is nice, though.
Likes For badger1:
Old 01-28-21, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'm thinking of building up my Fairdale Rockitship frame with flat bars... I do however have a question. Can I fit a MTB rear derailleur on a frame like this? I'm thinking of running a 1x setup with some range in the back.

Probably a 40T crank with an 11-51 Shimano Deore cassette (11 speed). Wondering if I can fit the Deore rear mech on the frame. Could this be an issue?

https://bike.shimano.com/en-NZ/produ...M5100-SGS.html

mstateglfr
Old 01-29-21, 07:56 AM
Sal Bandini

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1

I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion. The Diverge EVO is the flat bar equivalent to the drop bar Diverge. The Sirrus X is not. It is just a 1x version of a fitness bike, Sirrus, Trek FX, etc. Look at the geometry specs. You are more upright on the Sirrus X, and more crouched in the Diverge EVO and Diverge.
Old 01-29-21, 08:39 AM
badger1

I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion. The Diverge EVO is the flat bar equivalent to the drop bar Diverge. The Sirrus X is not. It is just a 1x version of a fitness bike, Sirrus, Trek FX, etc. Look at the geometry specs. You are more upright on the Sirrus X, and more crouched in the Diverge EVO and Diverge.
As I said, just my opinion. I have never seen a Diverge EVO, though I have looked at the geometry specs. I base my opinion on those, and on my own experience.

I have seen and been roughly fitted (for comparative purposes for fit on my Sirrus) on a drop-bar Diverge. I can't speak for you, or anyone else, but I am not "more upright" on my Sirrus X (or on my previous Sirrus) than on a drop-bar Diverge, or on a Roubaix for that matter. My normal riding position has been set deliberately these past ten years so that when I am using the bar ends I have a position more-or-less identical to the position I'd be in on the hoods on a Diverge/Roubaix as far as torso angle/arm extension is concerned.

That's me. Others might have different results; couldn't say and don't really care.
Old 01-30-21, 12:28 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by 996
I'm thinking of building up my Fairdale Rockitship frame with flat bars... I do however have a question. Can I fit a MTB rear derailleur on a frame like this?
Yes, you can. I know a guy who runs a Shimano XT rear der on his without any issues.
Old 01-30-21, 08:47 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I like the Giant Toughroad SLR 2. It's reasonably priced with carbon forks and 2 x 9 speed gearing for any situation you might encounter.

I'm very pleased with my 2018 Giant Sedona. Giant IMO make some of the best value bikes whether you want a $10,000 racing bike or a $500 comfort bike like my Sedona.

Problem is, I'm not the only one that thinks that way. All the bikes I looked at to try something more aggressive are sold out. Actualy I might enjoy this Toughroad, Would probably put narrower tires on though when the stock ones wear out.

For those who like the drop bar gravel bike, Giant's Revolt line looks like a fine choice. Looks very comfortable for a drop bar bike, more like an endurance gravel bike.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 01-30-21 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 01-30-21, 09:24 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
How tall are you, and how much do you weigh? Measure your inseam. Place a book up against your jewels and measure from the ground to the upper end of the book and report back.

Do you want a racy riding position? (Saddle above the bars

Neutral? Saddle and bars level?
or..

Comfortable position. Bars above the saddle.
Old 01-30-21, 09:38 AM
corwin1968

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
1995 Trek 730 Multitrack

2011 Rivendell Hunqapillar

Likes For corwin1968: