Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

SRM showing incorrect temperature

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 05-19-16, 12:52 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts

Hi.

My SRM computer started showing wrong temperature, but the zero offset doesn't seem to be affected. Anyone ran in to this issue?

Thank You
Old 05-19-16, 07:10 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My temperature reading seems to always be off by a bit. However, I suspect that the "bit" is consistent (i.e., the system is likely reliable), and, thus, I don't get too concerned about it. But, consider contacting SRM for the scoop on that.

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Hi.

My SRM computer started showing wrong temperature, but the zero offset doesn't seem to be affected. Anyone ran in to this issue?

Thank You
Old 05-19-16, 08:41 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Yeah I emailed them. Will call today. It was showing correct temperature until last week. Now it's shows -70C. Bleh.
Old 05-19-16, 08:58 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
My temperature reading seems to always be off by a bit. However, I suspect that the "bit" is consistent (i.e., the system is likely reliable), and, thus, I don't get too concerned about it. But, consider contacting SRM for the scoop on that.
the best thing about SRM's design for the power meter (IMO) is that it is largely immune to temperature changes. other companies sell software 'temperature correction', while the SRM has none. it doesn't have to; the orientation of the strain gauges is such that temp fluctuations due to difference response rates of the materials cancel out. (a 50F swing in a day is pretty common for me from where i store the bike to where i ride.)

i realize we're talking about the head unit here, but i just wanted to be clear that nothing about the power reading would be affected.

Yeah I emailed them. Will call today. It was showing correct temperature until last week. Now it's shows -70C. Bleh.
in your original post i wasn't sure if you meant "off by a few degrees"; i've always found that head units display temperature that is off by a bit--either due to being in the direct sun (vs ambient temp) or that the sensor is placed near a circuit which heats it up just a bit.

but....... -70C? we're not on mars!
Old 05-19-16, 01:23 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by tetonrider
the best thing about SRM's design for the power meter (IMO) is that it is largely immune to temperature changes. other companies sell software 'temperature correction', while the SRM has none. it doesn't have to; the orientation of the strain gauges is such that temp fluctuations due to difference response rates of the materials cancel out. (a 50F swing in a day is pretty common for me from where i store the bike to where i ride.)

i realize we're talking about the head unit here, but i just wanted to be clear that nothing about the power reading would be affected.

in your original post i wasn't sure if you meant "off by a few degrees"; i've always found that head units display temperature that is off by a bit--either due to being in the direct sun (vs ambient temp) or that the sensor is placed near a circuit which heats it up just a bit.

but....... -70C? we're not on mars!
Ah thanks for explanation.
I called SRM tech support and zero offset is adjusted based on a current through the strain gauges. It does not rely on the thermometer in the head unit. Looks like that part glitched. So it's showing -70C. I'll probably just send it in after racing season since it doesn't affect power readings.
Old 05-19-16, 08:25 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah thanks for explanation.
I called SRM tech support and zero offset is adjusted based on a current through the strain gauges. It does not rely on the thermometer in the head unit. Looks like that part glitched. So it's showing -70C. I'll probably just send it in after racing season since it doesn't affect power readings.
yeah...SRM doesn't promote a bunch of things that are good about the system, and instead when other companies say things like "we've got temperature compensation" they position it as something great. SRM's lack of response comes across as weakness when the reality is that it's a weak hardware design that requires compensation.

anyway....that sucks about the temperature problem in the head unit. i bet they all have the same cheap chip for that.

is it off in a linear way or random?
Old 05-19-16, 08:36 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I called SRM tech support and zero offset is adjusted based on a current through the strain gauges. It does not rely on the thermometer in the head unit.
yeah...SRM doesn't promote a bunch of things that are good about the system, and instead when other companies say things like "we've got temperature compensation" they position it as something great. SRM's lack of response comes across as weakness when the reality is that it's a weak hardware design that requires compensation.
The resistance of the strain gauge will vary with temperature. Not relying on an "actual thermometer" does not mean there is no compensation.
Old 05-19-16, 09:52 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sheesh ... all I see on here lately is SRM bad news. So glad I've got my Quarq
Old 05-19-16, 10:13 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
The resistance of the strain gauge will vary with temperature. Not relying on an "actual thermometer" does not mean there is no compensation.
Sorry...thought it was implicit in my earlier message that there are brands promoting *software* compensation. When I read it back I realize that it was not clear that some companies either did not take into account, or they did so ineffectively, this variation in their HW design.

It's also interesting to note that some of them only recently added this. What was going on before they figured out it was necessary??

better to solve something with proper hardware design vs having to make up for a deficiency via software.
Old 05-19-16, 10:14 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
If it's a known-good unit, keep it! Not all quarqs are bad, nor are all SRMs good, of course. We're just talking percentages.
Old 05-19-16, 10:46 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

anyway....that sucks about the temperature problem in the head unit. i bet they all have the same cheap chip for that.

is it off in a linear way or random?
It's fairely consistent -74C. I think sensor went out completely.

Originally Posted by hack
Dude I have special touch. As in I touch technology and it breaks. lol