Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

1974 Raleigh Super Tourer 5 speed project

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 12-05-20, 10:54 AM
purebikes 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 24 Posts

**SOLD** This is a super cool project that you don't see everyday. 1974 Raleigh Super Tourer in 22.5" frame. Bronze Mink and silver color scheme with chrome ends. Full 531 frame. Unfortunately the frame and components show some wear and rust. Most notably there are a couple spots of rust that are bubbling the paint at the BB. I looked inside and the rust hasn't compromised anything but it should still be treated. The other unfortunate business is that there is a dent in the NDS seat stay. Luckily it was in the chrome section and doesn't really seem to affect the alignment, but it is aesthetically noticeable. I am sure that this could be straightened but I have never repaired a frame like this and do not have the necessary frame blocks. The headset and BB are shot but I disassembled them, cleaned , re-greased and put them back together so that it is rideable. The crown race and bottom headset cup were loose so I had to shim them with some thin metal so that they didn't move around. I assume this could be fixed with a new headset, nothing seems to be damaged. This has some cool parts on it and will make a nice rider. I would prefer to keep the major components together so I am trying to sell here before I part out on Ebay. Looking for $400 + shipping? as is with all components shown. This is below part out value I would think and gets you the frame with the damage for a reasonable cost. If I can’t get close to this out of it I will try to build it up complete and fix some of the problems, or part it out. Thaks for looking and let me know if youhave questions.

Parts breakdown:

- Normandy Competition High Flange hubs laced to newer 27” VO rims with SS Spokes. 1 campy flat skewer/1 lambert skewer

- Brand new Pasela 27x1-1/4” tires and tubes (literally never ridden)

- 60’s ? Fiamme stem has marks from huret stem shifter clamp. I polished this up a bit.

- Frame Fork w NDS seat stay damage and some rust bubbles on BB

- Nitto Grand Rando bars 45cm. Has some brake marks but badge is clean

- TA specialties single speed crank needs polished. 9/16 english. There doesnt appear to be any major pitting but the surface has a dull haze. I tired to hand polish but it probably needs a more major sand and polish

- Campy seatpost. has some marks but could clean up nice,

- Huret RD. Plastic bolt cover is broken but otherwise in good shape

**SOLD**

Last edited by purebikes; 01-26-21 at 08:38 PM.
Likes For purebikes:
Old 12-14-20, 12:08 PM
purebikes 

Any interest? I should probably fix some of the issues and then re-list, but I thought I would check again before pulling the ad.
Old 12-14-20, 04:22 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
I'd be interested in the stem if you decide to part it out. Any idea on stem height and reach?
Old 12-15-20, 06:36 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Not knocking the bike which is a worthy project but I’d be concerned over a bike run with a loose head set that needed shimming. You may want to part this out and let the buyer of the frame deal with the issues.

Last edited by bikemig; 12-15-20 at 02:34 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 12-16-20, 09:28 AM
purebikes 

Originally Posted by bikemig
Not knocking the bike which is a worthy project but I’d be concerned over a bike run with a loose head set that needed shimming. You may want to part this out and let the buyer of the frame deal with the issues.
The headset is definitely a concern but I really don't think it will be a big deal with a new headset. The only Major thing is that the crown race will need to be a 26.4 instead of a 27 since it measures just under 27 (26.8). I will have to get the exact measurements on the cup and headtube but there doesn't appear to be damage, just not a great tolerance from Raleigh, which I believe is quite common. I am thinking I might tackle this and send the frame to a local builder just to relieve some concerns and also get some more cash for it.
Old 01-26-21, 05:08 AM
purebikes 

New Tange Levin headset installed, which fixed the headset cup and race issue. Pedals have been Sold. $350 + shipping as is (with no pedals)
Old 01-26-21, 06:46 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,621 Times in 2,595 Posts
Dang, if this were only one size larger (or I experience significant shrinkage). Glwts!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-26-21, 11:18 AM
purebikes 

Originally Posted by nlerner
Dang, if this were only one size larger (or I experience significant shrinkage). Glwts!
Just buy it! It will be fine...