Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

short stem vs stem riser, or both?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 01-19-15, 07:56 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I ride a hybrid that leans heavily toward the road bike side (seems like a road bike with flat bars).

I have been riding with my seat very far forward so I could comfortably reach the handlebars, but after some riding and research, it seems that is a bad solution...and I think I can feel that position fatiguing my legs. I also still have lots of weight on my hands, so that to sit up and ride with no hands, I have to actually push off the handle-bars, and it causes hand fatigue after only 5 miles.

So I moved my seat back, and I believe I've got my seat where it needs to be, but I feel like I'm reaching way to far and possibly too far down down for the handlebars. It's hard to see i this pic, but the handlebars are definitely below the seat, which may work better for a road bike than a hybrid. Should I try a shorter, perhaps slightly raised stem first, or a stem riser, or both?

I'm thinking of going from a 110mm stem to something like a 60mm, or even 40. I feel like I need something significanty closer.

Any advice? Heres the pic:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20150116_002.jpg (102.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-19-15, 09:25 AM
jth1959

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This and your earlier post are all related to your saddle, not fore/aft positioning but tilt. Level your saddle and then start the fit process. My guess is your hands, arms and shoulders fatigue and or numb fairly quickly.
Old 01-19-15, 11:29 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jth1959
This and your earlier post are all related to your saddle, not fore/aft positioning but tilt. Level your saddle and then start the fit process. My guess is your hands, arms and shoulders fatigue and or numb fairly quickly.
So you're saying I need to do some push-ups... :-)
Old 01-19-15, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I used a Tall stem , and aero Bars Behind a Zzipper Fairing .. so the fairing did the wind redirection.

but without the fairing bending over Low is where the aerodynamic advantage is ..

Now if you just want to give your wrists a break and lead on those forearm Pads , in stead >. Different story..

The saddle Should not have to slope down .. that puts weight on your arms always Pushing your self back Up .
one long push-up..