Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How Exercise Can Keep Aging Muscles and Immune Systems ‘Young’

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How Exercise Can Keep Aging Muscles and Immune Systems ‘Young’

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 07:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Hilarious. And one of the reasons why I'm skeptical of the pronouncements of doctors for athletic patients. Some doctors keep up and read the journals. Others simply do not. My doctor, a long distance cyclist himself, does read the journals and thankfully knows more about it than I do.

Yes, doctors do write "prescriptions" for both exercise and diet, though they can't be filled at your local pharmacy. For instance:
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...of-medication/
I wonder if the health insurance company would balk. A new bike would be tempting if I was only out the insurance copay, not to mention tires, chains etc.
Old 03-31-18, 09:45 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Luckily my former employer reimburses up to $200 each year per person for self and spouse on gym memberships and health & wellness programs. The benefit extends to retirees too.
Old 04-03-18, 08:40 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Here's an update:
Every bit of exercise counts in reducing risk of early death: Study | CBC News

"Every bit of exercise counts in reducing risk of early death"

"The findings are good news for most Americans, who are becoming more sedentary and could break that up with short bouts of physical activity, he said.
"Take the stairs when there's the opportunity. Walk to the coffee shop instead of taking the drive-thru. Because that will all help you prevent bad health outcomes," he said. "Everything counts so take every opportunity."

The study also found that participants who got less than 20 minutes of MVPA each day had the highest risk of death, while those who did 60 minutes a day cut their risk of death by more than half. Those who did at least 100 minutes a day cut their risk of mortality by 76 per cent, according to the study."
I get a kick out of statements stating that the risk of mortality is being cut by 76% or whatever. As far as I know, all of us have a 100% risk of death. If anyone doesn't, please advise how you are doing it.
Old 04-04-18, 11:58 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
I get a kick out of statements stating that the risk of mortality is being cut by 76% or whatever. As far as I know, all of us have a 100% risk of death. If anyone doesn't, please advise how you are doing it.
When I checked his link it said "Those who did at least 100 minutes a day cut their risk of early mortality by 76 per cent, according to the study." Maybe they edited it later, but when we see "risk of mortality" it usually means the risk of dying during a specific activity, or during a specific time frame. Not the risk of dying, ever.
Old 04-04-18, 12:59 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
There's a big difference between saying "I'm not gonna die" and "I didn't die last year." I think it's implied (if not stated baldly) in the literature that a reduction of mortality applies to the participants during the period of study. What happens when the reporters get hold of a preprint, well, strong editors who could control the stories are going the way of the dinosaurs.
Old 04-04-18, 01:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I always take a dose of salts when reading general media interpretations of medical research papers. They almost always get it wrong, usually by misinterpreting the findings, often by deliberately distorting the study for clickbait purposes.

Years ago some major local daily newspapers had medical reporters who had some background in science as well as journalism so their reports were usually credible. Few website reporters have that kind of experience anymore.

Most page one Google hits on any health topic are dominated by clickbait and woo. Here are a few examples that routinely pop up on my Facebook feed, reposted by friends.
  • "Studies show a glass of wine prolongs life more effectively than exercise!"
  • "Science proves 15 minutes of mindfulness more effective than exercise in prolonging a healthy life!"

Those, along with the preposterous claims for cannabis curing cancer, (rather than simply making the discomfort more bearable), mostly amount to lazy stoner wishful thinking. "You mean I can just vape THC or drink wine and *think* about exercising, and it's just as good as walking, running or riding a bike? I'm in! Heck, maybe I'll even watch a yoga video on YouTube!"
Old 04-04-18, 02:02 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
I like reading how things I do are good for me,
but realize,
marketing the "Fountain of youth"
is & has sold lots of snake oils over the centuries.

We ride because we want to. It fits our lifestyles.
What ever the reason is to make you want to ,
is good enough for you (and me).

Like gobicycling said above
"all of us have a 100% risk of death."

Many of us work toward both,
Quality & quantity
Old 04-04-18, 07:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Even though I'm skeptical of woo, I'm always open to correction when evidence is available.

GABA (gamma-Aminobutyric acid) is an example. For years anecdotes claimed some pain and stress relief effects from various natural ingredients and products from natural ingredients, ranging from hops in beer (in addition to the alcohol content), to cannabis to valerian root to kava, and other plants. Turns out they all share certain pharmacology and, along with prescription drugs like valproates (Depakote, etc.) and gabapentin have proven effective with many patients in relieving a variety of symptoms ranging from chronic pain to stress to improved cognitive ability (possibly due to enhancing sleep quality) to preventing seizures, migraines and other seemingly unrelated disorders.

So while my pothead friends are probably grasping at straws by claiming their herb of preference is a magical cure for everything from cancer to drought, there is some evidence supporting some beneficial properties for some conditions.

Coincidentally I've noticed that the strongly hoppy beers brewed by a friend's microbrewery make me unusually sleepy and relaxed, totally apart from the alcohol content, and quickly relieve my aching neck, back and knees after long bike rides. Unfortunately I'm also allergic to hops and one or two pints of those same beers make my eyes and sinuses swell, so I need to be up on my antihistamines and decongestants. Before last year I'd never made the connection between beer hops (humulus) and the old term "hophead" for cannabis users. While the psychoactive ingredients aren't the same, they do share some characteristics that scientists are still researching.

So I'm skeptical of woo but open to evidence. And I try not to disparage personal experience. If someone claims some benefit from a product, practice or experience, and it does no harm and isn't connected to some sort of scam, and isn't prodding them with secret messages to smite unbelievers, then may the giant rainbow glittery unicorns of the ether smile upon them.
Old 04-08-18, 11:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It really must be true in my case. Strictly a summer rider since I am in the snow belt, I ave about 2500 miles a year. I usually ride about 30 miles every other day.

Oh and yes I turn 80 this year, and still can do pretty much anything I want to. Again if you set you rust.
Old 04-08-18, 12:03 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My health insurance includes a gym and I did that for a while but it was sooooo boring. I clearly need to be outdoors to enjoy exercising. First I started to ride for exercise, then I added in short errands, now I'm car-free (except when I have a passenger) and biking is an integral part of my life. No bike, no groceries, lol. Riding has almost completely eliminated my back pain from bulging discs (comes back if I skip more than a day or two). It has improved my mental health immensely; people have commented how much more upbeat I am. I get up in the morning and no matter what else is planned for the day, I look forward to walking my dog and riding my bike. It's not really helping me lose those 10 lbs I don't want, but it keeps me from gaining more, so that's okay. I have several neighbors around my same age (mid-60's) and I see them shuffle down the street, barely able to walk to gentle yoga. I'm gonna go kiss my bike now =).
Old 04-08-18, 01:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I thought powerlifting would be the exercise to stay with as I had my whole life out of highschool until I rediscovered the open road 10 years ago. Now that I’m 60 I’m glad to have chosen cycling as the activity to carry me through later years. Fitness? Ask my doctor. I have made him a believer (I am a type 1 diabetic most my life).