Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Time to check out the bike paths !

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 02:53 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts

With winter a little behind us and the snow almost gone it was time to go see what conditions the bike paths were in. We have 3 sections of paths that connect and I think total out to about 6 or 7 miles. The best part is it gets me off the raceway called re. 140 where cars buzz by at speeds of upwards of 70+ mph. The first section had some spots where I had to walk and the second section was all passable. The third section is very short and I didn't bother checking it out. Hopefully if we are snow free for a week the entire path should be passable.
Old 04-08-18, 03:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Paths here have some trees down and some low hanging. The ones blocking were removed but they still need to be cut back. Lots of sticks and pieces of branches litter the paths.

BTW, you also posted this in the Northeast forum.
Old 04-09-18, 02:47 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
With our 14 hour of sun now,
Solar heating the asphalt has 95% of the MUPs open here
still some melting runoff in places making things a little messy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2026.JPG (218.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 04-11-18, 08:22 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
There are some longer rail trails, if you're willing to drive a little. The East Bay Bike Path that starts in East Providence, RI is probably the best for minimal rooting. It's 14.5 miles long and has a few road crossings.

The Washington Secondary Trail that starts in Cranston is decent. I like this one, because it's a steady uphill on the way out and a steady downhill on the way back. There are a few rooted areas and road crossings. It's 15 miles long.

The Blackstone Bikeway that starts in Woonsocket, RI is also decent. It's 19 miles long and also has a few rooted sections and road crossings.
Old 04-12-18, 07:15 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by The Snowman
There are some longer rail trails, if you're willing to drive a little. The East Bay Bike Path that starts in East Providence, RI is probably the best for minimal rooting. It's 14.5 miles long and has a few road crossings.

The Washington Secondary Trail that starts in Cranston is decent. I like this one, because it's a steady uphill on the way out and a steady downhill on the way back. There are a few rooted areas and road crossings. It's 15 miles long.

The Blackstone Bikeway that starts in Woonsocket, RI is also decent. It's 19 miles long and also has a few rooted sections and road crossings.
I live in Portsmouth, just over the bridge from the East Bay Bike Path's southern terminus in Bristol. Once or twice per year I go over to give it a ride up to East Providence, and points north. And every time for the last few years I ask myself why. The southern half of the trail is totally FUBAR with tree roots and frost heaves. I always end up riding south, back to Bristol, on the streets and roads. And with the condition of roads here in RI...that's saying something about the condition of the trail. Supposedly RIDOT is working to repair the condition of the trail. But...aren't they always?

Dan
Old 04-12-18, 11:52 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I live in Portsmouth, just over the bridge from the East Bay Bike Path's southern terminus in Bristol. Once or twice per year I go over to give it a ride up to East Providence, and points north. And every time for the last few years I ask myself why. The southern half of the trail is totally FUBAR with tree roots and frost heaves. I always end up riding south, back to Bristol, on the streets and roads. And with the condition of roads here in RI...that's saying something about the condition of the trail. Supposedly RIDOT is working to repair the condition of the trail. But...aren't they always?

Dan
Interesting. I haven't been the full length in a couple of years and the last time I did, sections that were previously rooted were removed and repaved. I also inline skate on rail trails and the one thing that I hate about the East Bay Rail Trail are the wooden bridges, especially the two longer ones in (I believe) Bristol. It looks like they were never treated or cared for and the wood isn't in the best condition.
Old 04-12-18, 07:01 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by The Snowman

I think I'll have to drop down and check out The Blackstone Bikeway this summer, Thanks for the info.