Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 03:33 PM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Midway
I have a Yakama hitch rack that holds 4 bikes, frame hanging style with extra tie straps below for the wheels that add additional stability while also keeping the wheels from spinning. My impression is that it is stable and easy on even a carbon frame, It is about 20 years old. I'll take a picture and add it when I get a chance. I'd like to compare it it GeorgeMD's model. I don't see the risk but want to be sure with our two new carbon frame bikes. I also have a roof bike rack that hold the bike from the wheels. I've never used or installed it. I could put that on and put a second bike inside the Landcruiser if needed.
Yakima Rack Pictures; why and how would this be hard on carbon frames?

Old 03-06-19, 12:39 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Compared to metallic frame materials, carbon frames are much less tolerant of the type of loads applied by a rack. (Thin wall alum doesn't do well either.) Carbon frames are strong with respect to the normal stresses of riding, but weak with respect to the odd localized loads exerted by the attachment points of a rack and clamping. This is the reason virtually all mfgs of carbon frames strongly advise against using any sort of rack that clamps to the frame tubes. It's also the reason you should never clamp a carbon frame in a bike repair stand.

I'm sure many carbon frames are put in racks and survive (being gentle with clamps and spreading the load with padding helps a lot) but it's just not a good idea. The frame in a rack needs to see the same sort of loads it sees while riding - through the wheels, the dropouts, etc.

- Mark
Old 03-06-19, 10:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Those straps and tray will rub the paint off the top tube from shaking around during transport.

Again...tray racks are better. Bike is supported by wheels and clamping is done on the wheels.
Old 03-12-19, 02:16 PM
markjenn

Just a quick note on a couple minor problems withy my 2019 Carbon Comp X. I took it in for it's 30-day new-bike tuneup at the LBS and asked that they look at an annoying light rattling noise in the area of the steering-head/Future-Shock. The mechanic noticed that the Future-Shock cover (the plastic cover that turns with the handlebars) didn't fit tightly and later diagnosed that the problem was that they had fit the wrong part at the factory. The proper cover fixed the issue. The mechanic also noted that my bottom bracket bearings weren't turning smoothly so they put a new Shimano BB on the bike. (Nice that these new Sirrus models have a standard threaded BSA BB that takes an everyday Hollowtech II rather than some fancy press-in model.)

Anyway, if you have a a new Sirrus with the Future-Shock and notice a rattling in the front end, you know here to look.

The bike is building miles quickly. Really enjoy riding it.

- Mark
Old 03-13-19, 07:44 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by markjenn
Just a quick note on a couple minor problems withy my 2019 Carbon Comp X. I took it in for it's 30-day new-bike tuneup at the LBS and asked that they look at an annoying light rattling noise in the area of the steering-head/Future-Shock. The mechanic noticed that the Future-Shock cover (the plastic cover that turns with the handlebars) didn't fit tightly and later diagnosed that the problem was that they had fit the wrong part at the factory. The proper cover fixed the issue. The mechanic also noted that my bottom bracket bearings weren't turning smoothly so they put a new Shimano BB on the bike. (Nice that these new Sirrus models have a standard threaded BSA BB that takes an everyday Hollowtech II rather than some fancy press-in model.)

Anyway, if you have a a new Sirrus with the Future-Shock and notice a rattling in the front end, you know here to look.

The bike is building miles quickly. Really enjoy riding it.

- Mark

Have you done much gravel riding with it?
Old 03-15-19, 12:12 AM
markjenn

Originally Posted by prj71
Have you done much gravel riding with it?
Lots of gravel urban trails. Fantastic bike for that sort of riding.... plenty of tire, upright seating, comfortable, nice ride with the Futureshock, reasonable weight. The only thing I’m not ecstatic about is the handlebar but that is easily changeable.

- Mark
Old 03-19-19, 03:24 PM
GeorgeMD

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- Mark
Mark, thanks for earlier emailing me closeup of your paint, I ordered the Purple and should see it this Friday.
Thanks for the info you just shared, I will share this with my 1-man LBS, he is expecting the recall repair part to ship with the bike.
Curious, did your LBS cover that Shimano BB, if not how much? Is it of significant better quality, if so I might just put it in now, I remember the BSA BB was something that caught my eye on this model months ago.

(OT: I also bought a Roll compX1 as a "beater" companion bike to my Sirrus, having fun riding that today)
Old 03-19-19, 04:21 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeMD
Mark, thanks for earlier emailing me closeup of your paint, I ordered the Purple and should see it this Friday.
Thanks for the info you just shared, I will share this with my 1-man LBS, he is expecting the recall repair part to ship with the bike.
Curious, did your LBS cover that Shimano BB, if not how much? Is it of significant better quality, if so I might just put it in now, I remember the BSA BB was something that caught my eye on this model months ago.

(OT: I also bought a Roll compX1 as a "beater" companion bike to my Sirrus, having fun riding that today)
Far as I know, your bike should actually ship with the new FS collar installed. I have the same bike on order; lbs tells me that all FS bikes shipped since mid-January have the 'fix' in place. If not, my lbs has a bag of them in stock.

BTW, I'm planning the same thing re. b/b: when my bike (finally) arrives, I'm having a Shimano b/b (9100) installed before I take it out the door, and brake rotors upp'd to Shimano Ice Tech (XT).
Old 03-19-19, 05:24 PM
GeorgeMD

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compared to metallic frame materials, carbon frames are much less tolerant of the type of loads applied by a rack. (Thin wall alum doesn't do well either.) Carbon frames are strong with respect to the normal stresses of riding, but weak with respect to the odd localized loads exerted by the attachment points of a rack and clamping. This is the reason virtually all mfgs of carbon frames strongly advise against using any sort of rack that clamps to the frame tubes. It's also the reason you should never clamp a carbon frame in a bike repair stand.
I'm sure many carbon frames are put in racks and survive (being gentle with clamps and spreading the load with padding helps a lot) but it's just not a good idea. The frame in a rack needs to see the same sort of loads it sees while riding - through the wheels, the dropouts, etc.
- Mark
Wow Mark, THANKS for that info. First you just saved me 150$, I was going to get a repair stand, I had no idea they are not allowed in repair stands.
I hope this is common knowledge and my LBS doesnt look at me sideways when I ask him not to build my bike using a repair stand.
So glad I joined up in this community!

Midway I am going to sell my rack, mine, only a few years old, has the same miserable rubber straps as yours.
Im selling it and hope my Uhaul installed tow hitch doesn't cause any problems to my 2014 civic, and speaking of that car, it has big area after rear fold down, just have to release the wheel
I also have an Audi A4 wagon (2002) and a GMC Sierra truck available to borrow at any time. At least it will fit inside your Land Cruiser.
Old 03-19-19, 06:21 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Wow Mark, THANKS for that info. First you just saved me 150$, I was going to get a repair stand, I had no idea they are not allowed in repair stands.
I hope this is common knowledge and my LBS doesnt look at me sideways when I ask him not to build my bike using a repair stand.
So glad I joined up in this community!

Midway I am going to sell my rack, mine, only a few years old, has the same miserable rubber straps as yours.
Im selling it and hope my Uhaul installed tow hitch doesn't cause any problems to my 2014 civic, and speaking of that car, it has big area after rear fold down, just have to release the wheel
I also have an Audi A4 wagon (2002) and a GMC Sierra truck available to borrow at any time. At least it will fit inside your Land Cruiser.
Every LBS uses a stand to work on carbon bikes. Just clamp to the seat post and you’re fine. Just don’t clamp a frame tube.
Old 03-19-19, 07:17 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab

Every LBS uses a stand to work on carbon bikes. Just clamp to the seat post and you’re fine. Just don’t clamp a frame tube.
Pretty much this. It was standard practice even before crabon to never clamp a frame tube, especially a top tube as thin steel and Al dent easily. There is a wedged expandable seatpost insert that is used when the seatpost is removed.

There are also special racks. This one uses rubber donuts and straps (long gone) to secure the frame:

Old 03-19-19, 10:12 PM
markjenn

No charge on the BB changeover (as I expected). I have no idea of the make/model of the original, but the replacement is a Shimano BB-RS500 which is low-end on the Shimano BB pecking order, although I'm sure it is completely serviceable and probably as good or better than what was in there originally. It's silver rather than black, but I don't care.

- Mark
Old 03-20-19, 05:58 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by csrpenfab

I clamp my carbon fat bike and carbon road bike in the bike stand on the top tube. Never had any problems. I'm not sure if this advice applies anymore to today's newer carbon frames.

I do clamp lightly though.
Old 03-20-19, 06:28 AM
MarkEmondaSL7

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proud owner of 2018 Sirrus Sport - disc brakes ; carbon forks.flat blue color..I'll add photo after reaching my 10 posts..
Rode the non-carbon forked model back to back in LBS parking lot and there was a noticeable difference in how much the
carbon front end could absorb....I'm 6'FT with 32" inseam and chose the XL frame over L...
Shifting is smooth enough and seat works for my short commute. Thinking about a rack and pannier .... any models work best on this
frame?
RE: bike stand issue- I use a Park PC-9 and hook my bikes up on their seat post...FWIW...
Old 03-20-19, 12:50 PM
markjenn

Anybody know what make/model crankset is on the X Comp Carbon? It has no obvious markings and doesn't look like any SRAM or Shimano model I can find. Specialized's specs simply say "Forged aluminum, 2-piece, 24mm spindle, direct-mount chainring". I'm curious as there seem to be multiple standards for direct-mount chainrings. The LBS mechanic who changed out my BB said it felt very stout but also fairly heavy. Probably an area where Specialized went cheap to hit their price point.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 03-20-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 11:19 AM
toasterbike

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Rockhopper GX, 1990 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone! I've got a question that's hopefully quick:

Are there paint codes for the colors that Specialized has done? I have a few chips in our bikes I'd like to take care of.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-19, 05:51 AM
prj71

Anybody know what make/model crankset is on the X Comp Carbon? It has no obvious markings and doesn't look like any SRAM or Shimano model I can find. Specialized's specs simply say "Forged aluminum, 2-piece, 24mm spindle, direct-mount chainring". I'm curious as there seem to be multiple standards for direct-mount chainrings. The LBS mechanic who changed out my BB said it felt very stout but also fairly heavy. Probably an area where Specialized went cheap to hit their price point.

- Mark
Specialized has been known to use Samox Cranks.

SAMOX
Old 03-24-19, 08:13 PM
markjenn

Specialized has been known to use Samox Cranks.

SAMOX
An image search doesn't turn up any Samox crank that looks exactly the same as my Sirrus one, but many have a similar style so I bet you're right. Thanks.

- Mark
Old 03-25-19, 05:17 PM
Churchill

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There isn't much discussion on the forum on pricing. Is it because it is prohibited or is it because it is standard across all retailers? Sorry I tried taking a look through the FAQs, but did not see anything on it.
Old 03-25-19, 07:02 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Churchill
There isn't much discussion on the forum on pricing. Is it because it is prohibited or is it because it is standard across all retailers? Sorry I tried taking a look through the FAQs, but did not see anything on it.
Not much to discuss. At best your LBS might give you $200-$400 off the price of bike but don't count on it.
Old 03-25-19, 07:22 PM
n0thing

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Specialized controls pricing of their bikes so typically the price you see online is the one you pay. As a result there's not much insight to share.
Old 03-25-19, 07:59 PM
Churchill

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by n0thing
Specialized controls pricing of their bikes so typically the price you see online is the one you pay. As a result there's not much insight to share.
Thanks, that's good to know, so it is sort of like Rolex pricing.

Is this the standard across all popular bike brands or does it vary like watch brands?
Old 03-26-19, 05:36 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts

Is this the standard across all popular bike brands or does it vary like watch brands?
It's more or less standard across the industry. Bike shops (or even brands) will sometimes offer sales on clearance models or otherwise throw in extras at purchase, but the purchase price of the bike itself is generally pretty consistent. As with every "general rule", I'm sure there are exceptions out there... :-)
Old 03-26-19, 07:38 AM
prj71

It varies by bike shop. My local Specialized dealer lost a fat bike sale to me in 2015 because another shop 40 miles further away sold me the same bike for $400 less. Fast forward to 2018 and I was in the market for a new fat bike again. Went to my local Specialized dealer again and this time they knocked $300 off the price of the bike so I wouldn't go to the other shop 40 miles away and buy one again.

My local Cannondale/Giant dealer...continuously will knock $300-$500 off of new bikes. But the Giant dealer 40 miles away won't budge on price.

I've also worked dealers over on the phone or e-mail and got them to come down on price by having them match another dealers price.

Much like cars we shouldn't be paying MSRP for bikes. You need to haggle.

Some of these bike shops are short sighted in my opinion...The first step to earning someones business is to get their foot in the door spending at your shop. If you can sell them a bike then you get repeat business for service, parts, clothes etc. But some bike shop owners will stick to their guns on MSRP...that results in lost business.
Old 03-26-19, 09:25 AM
Churchill

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It varies by bike shop. My local Specialized dealer lost a fat bike sale to me in 2015 because another shop 40 miles further away sold me the same bike for $400 less. Fast forward to 2018 and I was in the market for a new fat bike again. Went to my local Specialized dealer again and this time they knocked $300 off the price of the bike so I wouldn't go to the other shop 40 miles away and buy one again.

My local Cannondale/Giant dealer...continuously will knock $300-$500 off of new bikes. But the Giant dealer 40 miles away won't budge on price.

I've also worked dealers over on the phone or e-mail and got them to come down on price by having them match another dealers price.

Much like cars we shouldn't be paying MSRP for bikes. You need to haggle.

Some of these bike shops are short sighted in my opinion...The first step to earning someones business is to get their foot in the door spending at your shop. If you can sell them a bike then you get repeat business for service, parts, clothes etc. But some bike shop owners will stick to their guns on MSRP...that results in lost business.
Hrm, OK your posts are kind of confusing. I think if there's wiggle room from MSRP then there should be discussion around pricing. Other people seem to indicate that the Specialized price is the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.